joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/25-1/27 Clipper-Miller B Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think NYC gets maybe 6-8" more, so storm total 10-14". Solid, but not top 5.

BOS 24"+...

I guess because I'm here but I don't think this is correct...that would mean the coastal itself would be a complete fail...I mean by the time it gets here we may have 8" or more

Except looking at a single event at a single point is not necessarily representative of the overall quality (or usability) of a particular model.  Just saying.  (Sidebar:  this is not a defense of any particular model including the GFS which may prove to crap the bed on certain aspects of this event).

True, but I think it's a good test for the updated GFS since this will be the biggest Nor'Easter for it to date.  I'm also looking at it in terms of trends - GFS/GGEM/RGEM (and I think UKIE) have trended this east the last 24 hours or so.  Euro/NAM for the most part have been west of the other models.  This storm is just one tiny data blip in the grand scheme of data for the models but given the size of the storm, each model's performance will be referenced when talking about similar storms (i.e. we always remember how model so and so did for Sandy or Feb 14, etc). 

True, but I think it's a good test for the updated GFS since this will be the biggest Nor'Easter for it to date.  I'm also looking at it in terms of trends - GFS/GGEM/RGEM (and I think UKIE) have trended this east the last 24 hours or so.  Euro/NAM for the most part have been west of the other models.  This storm is just one tiny data blip in the grand scheme of data for the models but given the size of the storm, each model's performance will be referenced when talking about similar storms (i.e. we always remember how model so and so did for Sandy or Feb 14, etc). 

I'm not disagreeing.  It's good to do proper post-mortem evaluation to understand a particular piece of guidance's strengths and weakness.  However, it tends to get compartmentalized (to a particular lead time/aspect of event, single location) and there is way too much confirmation bias.  Have the Euro/NAM really been west with the main storm or just in terms of their precipitation shield?

And so it begins......the final desperate waiting period begins, even as the Northeast loads up on fresh snow.

When we have above freezing temps, like last night, we always have plenty of moisture. And so it rained, for hours.

When we are at 29 degrees, like now, we are begging for a dusting.

That is the  summary of the life of a Mid Atlantic snow enthusiast.

The next clipper later this week.......expected to rain, again. I have so much mud in my yard that I am thinking of building temporary docks in order to be able to get around without getting muddy. This has been one of the rainiest "winters" in recent memory in tropical Virginia.

18Z is from 1PM onward

not that they haven't had snow that was missed, but it's NOT a total from this morning

Yes.  I'm sure some deformation bands will go over NYC and WLI for a few hours, but the trend east with the low certainly doesn't help the case for 2ft+.  I think we should all be interested in this type of storm since modeling can be inspected better than your standard run of the mill 6-10 inch storm.  Think about it, the NAM shows ~3.5" QPF over NYC, while the RGEM shows 0.7" (after 18z).  That's a 500% difference in a storm modeled less than 24 hours out with models of generally the same spatial resolution! Notes should be taken.

Archived