• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Historical Blizzard Obs Thread

Rtd208

Posted this in the other thread and figured I'd add it here - especially looking for insight on what went wrong, as I haven't had time to read through the threads and don't have time to do it now, either...

Have about 6" here in Metuchen (northern Middlesex County). Measured from 4-8" with an average around 6".  My corroboration of 6" is that we had a solid 4" last night after part 1, by 8 pm, and I got home from the local pub around 9 pm and my car had 2" of fresh snow on top of it this morning.  Blizzard, lol.  

Haven't waded through the threads, yet, but has anyone done a half decent post mortem yet?  Was it track, intensity (if either of those, why?) or much stronger and drier air being replenished from our NW, robbing us of moisture, or something else (aliens, gremlins, etc.)?  Clearly, the "storm" kicked ass from eastern Nassau County through SE New England with 18-30" or more and serious blizzard conditions.  

The NWS predictions were essentially off by ~60 miles, as the expected snow in eastern PA is what we got ~60 miles to the east in NE NJ near the Hudson, and the snow we expected in NE NJ was received from eastern Nassau and points eastward, ~60 miles to our east.  If the track was off by 60 miles that might explain it - not saying it was, just noting the differences.  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I strongly believe one of these years in our lifetime we will break the all time record snowfall in NYC. It's almost expected at this point..Extreme is the new normal...Just didn't work out for us this storm

2 weeks ago didn't look promising at all for snow...Now most places are 12" or more for the month with more possibly to come on Thursday. Can't go wrong with that. Our "big one" will come when nature is ready to destroy us all Lol

Had a blast tracking this storm and the images are unforgettable.

25 degrees w/ light snow ; 7.0" total Jersey City, NJ

How is it that over the past few years, Massapequa in SE nassau is Nassau jackpot or near jackpot on so many storms, especially when so many of them from an overall LI perspective jackpot on the Suffolk north shore?

Edit: link: http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

The breadth of you r knowledge is always impressive. I guarantee you that most people here are scratching their heads.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I do appreciate them. :)

How is it that over the past few years, Massapequa in SE nassau is Nassau jackpot or near jackpot on so many storms, especially when so many of them from an overall LI perspective jackpot on the Suffolk north shore?

Edit: link: http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Slanted yardstick?

Slanted yardstick?

BTW...all kidding aside, I'm most assuredly not calling into question the legitimacy of that number or any previous numbers submitted; though, having lived out here for a spell...I can say with a fair amount of certainty that SE Nassau county is a good deal less snowy than most of the rest of that county...

Even removing the rain v snow factor where precip type is a non issue...there are still other reasons why it should be a bit snowier away from the immediate South Shore...the flatness of the terrain v the slightly more undulating landscape on the N. Shore...a less favorable location to benefit from winds off the Sound...the atmospheric stabilization caused by being right by the ocean...thus diminishing lift....

I'm going to ask a serious question that perhaps another met better versed than myself could answer. As some of you know, a large asteroid made a very close pass to the earth. My question becomes, could the close pass of the large asteroid have affected the atmosphere to the point it shifted this storm, hence why the models began to pick up and shift Sunday night and Monday and why the low pressure system actually did shift. I'm wondering if the gravitational effects of the asteroid pass could have the disturbed the atmosphere enough to cause the shift. Just a thought and question.

I'm going to ask a serious question that perhaps another met better versed than myself could answer. As some of you know, a large asteroid made a very close pass to the earth. My question becomes, could the close pass of the large asteroid have affected the atmosphere to the point it shifted this storm, hence why the models began to pick up and shift Sunday night and Monday and why the low pressure system actually did shift. I'm wondering if the gravitational effects of the asteroid pass could have the disturbed the atmosphere enough to cause the shift. Just a thought and question.

I am not a met but that backside SW was not grabbed by the better obs until 12z Sat so the error may have been the wave separation getting resolved late .

I don't think it would have caused any noticeable change.  That asteroid has a mass of about 157bn (10^9) kg, while the Earth has a mass of about 6 septillion (10^24) kg.  Hell, the moon has a mass of 7.3x10^22 kg (73 sextillion kg).  The orders of magnitude in terms of size differences are in the trillions.

This is the dumbest post I've ever read on this forum, when you account for the fact that you (presumably) have a college degree.

I read a great many dumber posts in this sub-forum yesterday alone.

But you can calculate the gravitational force that the asteroid would've had on the atmosphere with an iPhone calculator and high school physics.  How can someone not be able to solve that problem, yet still be able to interpret model output?

He took two measurements and added them instead of averaging.  ;)

I like it...may add it to my repertoire...

<The joke, not the measuring technique>

Archived