Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Historical Blizzard Obs Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 14 or 15" is probably a good call on Nassau County for the most part, maybe 18" on the Suffolk border. The big time banding from late yesterday stopped around the Sagtikos and even though snow picked back up, I don't see how totals can be that inflated. Drifting and blowing off roofs has to also be considered.

SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
1005 AM EST TUE JAN 27 2015

...NASSAU COUNTY...
   OCEANSIDE             17.0   900 AM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER
   BELLMORE               8.5   815 AM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER

At least one of them needs to be re-trained.

Snow must have come down like *really* hard during those 45 minutes...

*rolls eyes*

This is the dumbest post I've ever read on this forum, when you account for the fact that you (presumably) have a college degree.

With all due respect, before you call the post idiotic, let's think of the physics here. As pazzo pointed out, the asteroid is 10^9 kg which is granted, exponentially smaller than the earth and moon, however, I was saying all we needed is a small perturbation caused by this gravitational pull. Something just enough to slow the phase down or pull the storm slightly east. Furthermore, it has been shown that the moon effects atmospheric pressure through what has been termed lunar tides. If these lunar tides, though very subtle and affects the upper and outer atmosphere mostly, can change atmospheric pressure, I would think introducing an additional gravitational pull, albeit exceedingly small, may interact with a very large system.

But you can calculate the gravitational force that the asteroid would've had on the atmosphere with an iPhone calculator and high school physics. How can someone not be able to solve that problem, yet still be able to interpret model output?

Let me clarify. I was not asking what gravitational force would be applied. I was asking if people thought it would be enough to change the outcome of the storm. That takes many other factors into account, not just the gravitational force.

One of the headlines on TWC says "more snow incoming". Man o man people aren't even gonna listen to the news channels anymore. Christie got embarrassed for the travel ban.

Quite the opposite. More people will listen to TWC. They began downplaying the storm in NJ and NYC proper before anyone else. For the NYC region, AW was partly right: It had NYC for 12-24".

I think they ended up with 17.1 inches at the NWS Office @ Upton and 24.8 inches at Islip MacArthur Airport...after doing some checking. 

It's not an outlier though, several area reports are 15-17". A funny discrepancy that stuck out to me was Lake Ronkonkoma 14", ISP 25". Obviously I'm not there so I can't say what happened.

It's pretty bad considering what time the measurement was taken at.

Edit: when I first saw his total it said 7am earlier this morning (unless I was too sleep deprived to see straight). Now I see it says 9am. Hmmm. Idk. Maybe it's not so bad.

Islip used to measure low...now they measure high...who can figure it?

I'm only nine miles to the NNE of Islip and I had only about 18 inches of snow here...more or less. Of course, I do not utilize the 6 hour clear the board method because I am too lazy too and my records are for myself...(I'm not a cooperative observer)...so my totals will tend to run a bit low every year. 

It's automated, no?

Well, for the snow I don't think it can be.  Its says FAA contract observer so someone is paid to do it.

Archived