• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Historical Blizzard Obs Thread

Rtd208

Of course, there were some big other numbers...including our friend NorthShore Wx in Smithtown (on the list) who is an extremely excellent observer and record keeper who adheres to all establishment measurement procedures...I would trust his numbers practically more than anyone's...and he did hit the 20 inch mark...

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...
   ORIENT                28.5   911 AM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER
   SOUTHAMPTON           28.0  1220 PM  1/27  PUBLIC
   MEDFORD               25.6   100 PM  1/27  PUBLIC
   MATTITUCK             24.8   715 AM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER
   ISLIP AIRPORT         24.8   100 PM  1/27  FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER
   HAMPTON BAYS          24.0   915 AM  1/27  PUBLIC
   OAKDALE               23.5   120 PM  1/27  PUBLIC
   FLANDERS              22.0   204 PM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER
   BAITING HOLLOW        22.0   800 AM  1/27  NWS COOP
   EASTPORT              22.0   845 AM  1/27  PUBLIC
   NORTH BABYLON         21.5   915 AM  1/27  PUBLIC
   HOLBROOK              21.5   100 PM  1/27  PUBLIC
   SAYVILLE              20.8  1000 AM  1/27  NWS EMPLOYEE
   NOYACK                20.3   728 AM  1/27  PUBLIC
   COMMACK               20.0  1030 AM  1/27  PUBLIC
   DEER PARK             20.0  1230 PM  1/27  PUBLIC
   SMITHTOWN             20.0  1240 PM  1/27  PUBLIC

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1422385431.871946.jpg

Enjoy your snow. It's the only snow you've got.

Probably only 8-9" in the park, but it is just lovely, champagne powder. If you have snow on the ground, stop feeling sorry for yourself and get out there in the snow.

Agreed.  All things considered, we made out alright, it could have been a lot worse (obv it could have been better, too).

Having a 10 month old, I would have been truly inconvenienced by 24+" of snow for the next two weeks.  The 10" I got is manageable, e.g., not a total clusterf*ck to stroll my boy around town. 

The snow weenie is deflated but not defeated.  The Dad in me is thinking practically.  Perspective FTW?

Agreed. All things considered, we made out alright, it could have been a lot worse (obv it could have been better, too).

Having a 10 month old, I would have been truly inconvenienced by 24+" of snow for the next two weeks. The 10" I got is manageable, e.g., not a total clusterf*ck to stroll my boy around town.

The snow weenie is deflated but not defeated. The Dad in me is thinking practically. Perspective FTW?

Honestly, Suffolk County OEM was getting a little grave there for a while. Officials were down right scared for a bit there and if this had come in as was expected, the area would have been crippled for a week. I'm not all that unhappy we recieved what we recieved. Everything went rather smoothly, but it could have been disastrous.

Honestly, Suffolk County OEM was getting a little grave there for a while. Officials were down right scared for a bit there and if this had come in as was expected, the area would have been crippled for a week. I'm not all that unhappy we recieved what we recieved. Everything went rather smoothly, but it could have been disastrous.

Its amazing how all these snowstorms the last 20 years have made this county take everything in stride...back in the 1980's...a 6 inch storm would have been a cause celebre...

Its amazing how all these snowstorms the last 20 years have made this county take everything in stride...back in the 1980's...a 6 inch storm would have been a cause celebre...

I remember when I was nine or ten, a storm came in with seven inches and all of Long Island shut down. It was a state of emergency in Riverhead and other parts of the area, and while the snow was falling moderately, roads were really pretty good.

Edit: I can't type to save my life on this new phone.

Agreed. All things considered, we made out alright, it could have been a lot worse (obv it could have been better, too).

Having a 10 month old, I would have been truly inconvenienced by 24+" of snow for the next two weeks. The 10" I got is manageable, e.g., not a total clusterf*ck to stroll my boy around town.

The snow weenie is deflated but not defeated. The Dad in me is thinking practically. Perspective FTW?

That's awesome. Didn't realize you had a kid. You definitely keep perspective. It will be even more fun when he can play on his own in the snow. I get nostalgic for the 09-10 and 10-12 winters in Boston when he was little, but the sledding is better here on the UWS!

I remember when I was nine or ten, a storm came in with seven inches and all of Long Island shut down. It was a state of emergency in Riverhead and other parts of the area and the while the snow was falling, roads were really pretty good.

You know on the radar its still snowing over the East End...and pretty good...you might be looking at 35 inches in spots out there...maybe even the all time snow record from a single storm for Long Island & NYC...New Jersey too...which, I guess comes from either 2/9/2013 or 3/11/1888...depending on who you believe. 

You know on the radar its still snowing over the East End...and pretty good...you might be looking at 35 inches in spots out there...maybe even the all time snow record from a single storm for Long Island & NYC...New Jersey too...which, I guess comes from either 2/9/2013 or 3/11/1888...depending on who you believe. 

Of course the Jersey record comes from that cold February storm back in 1899 down at Cape May...briefly challenged by Whitehouse Station on 1/7/1996...but rescinded on recount. 

Yes, I'm in Westhampton right now and it's snowing at a decent clip.

Of course the Jersey record comes from that cold February storm back in 1899 down at Cape May...briefly challenged by Whitehouse Station on 1/7/1996...but rescinded on recount. 

CT way beyond all of this, of course...record there would be 50 inches / Middletown 3/11/1888.

Islip used to measure low...now they measure high...who can figure it?

i noticed that the past few years too. i live about a mile away from the airport and i "only" measured 21.5" (which you can see on the PNS  as "Holbrook") which is an average of 20 different measurements i made around the property. tbh, i feel that that figure is maybe a half inch or up to an inch too high just driving and measuring around the neighborhood.

I'd say yes and no. Yes the totals are the same, but the storm dropped what central Suffolk had in about half the time as this storm. Feb 2013 was a much stronger band imho.

I was a little too far west for those super crazy rates for Feb13. I actually got snowed in at work in Deer Park /Edgewood. It was still amazing and this go around the mini thin bands were really great just too short in duration. For both storms I got around 20 inches which is nothing to sneeze at!

I feel bad for our western weenies who got fringed. High totals were always in question for NJ. All models showed LI would get well over a ft. Pretty big bust for NYC though! Let hope the next one delivers to all!

-Jason

How would you guys (and gals) rate this compared to Feb2013? Would you say it was in the same league just that the prolific snow totals were 30-40 miles east? I remember similar totals for NYC, Nassau and Western Suffolk. If we swap the east end compared to central LI. It's pretty close, no?

I'd call it a Poor Man's Version of 2/11/2013...but only right where I live...other parts of the Island would justifiably think the reverse. 

I'd call it a Poor Man's Version of 2/11/2013...but only right where I live...other parts of the Island would justifiably think the reverse. 

By version, I'm not referring to the structure of the synoptic setup...just the amounts of snow.  In fairness, the winds with this one were awesome...better than 2/11/13. 

Took a fast look at the PNS out of BOX...some pretty nice numbers out of the state of Massachusetts...not quite as much out of Rhode Island...which always seems to be the case...like Central Park...that state always finds a way to make the worst out of a good situation when it comes to snow...

With all due respect, before you call the post idiotic, let's think of the physics here. As pazzo pointed out, the asteroid is 10^9 kg which is granted, exponentially smaller than the earth and moon, however, I was saying all we needed is a small perturbation caused by this gravitational pull. Something just enough to slow the phase down or pull the storm slightly east. Furthermore, it has been shown that the moon effects atmospheric pressure through what has been termed lunar tides. If these lunar tides, though very subtle and affects the upper and outer atmosphere mostly, can change atmospheric pressure, I would think introducing an additional gravitational pull, albeit exceedingly small, may interact with a very large system.

Jesus <bleeping> Christ.  You have to do the math, you can't just pull stuff out of your ass. 

Here's the math.  Typical asteroid density is approximately 2g/cm^3. Per radar observations, 2004BL86 has a radius of approximately 165M.  It is roughly spherical.  That means roughly, its mass was 3.75*10^11 kilograms.

It passed approximately 3 lunar distances from earth.  That means it was approximately 115,320,000 meters away.

the gravitational force at a given distance from the center of a spherical object equals (Gm)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the attractor, and r= the distance from the center of the object.

so let's do the math to calculate the gravitational acceleration caused by the asteroid at the Earth's surface:

((6.67*10^-11)(3.75*10^11))/(115320000^2)

which equals 1.8*10-13 m/s

For comparison, "g" (the earth's gravitational acceleration at the earth's surface) is 9.8 m/s

So the gravitation force of the asteroid was 0.000000000019% the gravitational force of the earth.

two hundred billionths as strong.

It had no impact.  REMEMBER THAT SCIENCE WITHOUT MATH IS NOTHING.

(p.s., if I got any of these unit conversions slightly wrong, I apologize.  Was working fast and without paper.)

By version, I'm not referring to the structure of the synoptic setup...just the amounts of snow. In fairness, the winds with this one were awesome...better than 2/11/13.

I like your word choice and I agree with you.

1) less intense snowfall rates

2) the heaviest amounts were confined to the sparsely populated east end which presented less chaos and panic,

3) the timing of the heavy snow was much worse in 2013 being that it started just prior to the PM rush. I know folks who took several hours to get home and also folks had to abandon their cars. (RT347)

-Jason

There is an unspoken competition that happens with these measurements.  Having a consensus does not insure accuracy.

Whenever reality is distorted and history is (inaccurately) re-written, it is sad. Obviously this is just a little snow record and no life or property is riding on it, but still...

I'm only nine miles to the NNE of Islip and I had only about 18 inches of snow here...more or less. Of course, I do not utilize the 6 hour clear the board method because I am too lazy too and my records are for myself...(I'm not a cooperative observer)...so my totals will tend to run a bit low every year. 

Mine run lower than yours.  This was tough to measure and rather subjective, but even so I feel just a hint of guilt that my 15" obs may be slightly on the high side.  Whoever reported 20" from Smithtown is full of it.  Highest total I measured was 19.5" right in front of the garage door.  Anyplace that wasn't an obvious drift was nowhere near 20".

A lot of the Nassau County measurements also seem suspect to me.  Along the middle of the island, ok because they got a few extra inches in that LES look-alike band yesterday, but I think there are a lot of neighborhoods with houses on 60 x 100 lots where the snow blowing off the roofs really piles up between the houses.  Some of these guys may be doing the best they can measuring, but there just isn't a good place to measure.  I'd bet some of those high totals would be halved if the measurements were taken from an appropriate location.

Of course, there were some big other numbers...including our friend NorthShore Wx in Smithtown (on the list) who is an extremely excellent observer and record keeper who adheres to all establishment measurement procedures...I would trust his numbers practically more than anyone's...and he did hit the 20 inch mark...

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...

ORIENT                28.5   911 AM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER

SOUTHAMPTON           28.0  1220 PM  1/27  PUBLIC

MEDFORD               25.6   100 PM  1/27  PUBLIC

MATTITUCK             24.8   715 AM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER

ISLIP AIRPORT         24.8   100 PM  1/27  FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER

HAMPTON BAYS          24.0   915 AM  1/27  PUBLIC

OAKDALE               23.5   120 PM  1/27  PUBLIC

FLANDERS              22.0   204 PM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER

BAITING HOLLOW        22.0   800 AM  1/27  NWS COOP

EASTPORT              22.0   845 AM  1/27  PUBLIC

NORTH BABYLON         21.5   915 AM  1/27  PUBLIC

HOLBROOK              21.5   100 PM  1/27  PUBLIC

SAYVILLE              20.8  1000 AM  1/27  NWS EMPLOYEE

NOYACK                20.3   728 AM  1/27  PUBLIC

COMMACK               20.0  1030 AM  1/27  PUBLIC

DEER PARK             20.0  1230 PM  1/27  PUBLIC

SMITHTOWN             20.0  1240 PM  1/27  PUBLIC

Glad to hear that you trust me.  That 20" report is bogus and not mine.  14" or 15" tops here.

Archived