joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historical Blizzard Obs Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very heavy snow, blowing snow, fog continuing @ 3 AM in Port Jefferson...snow starting to get pretty deep out here...temp 19 F...humidity 96%

Congrats to Suffolk county.....only winner on this forum. They should have called this storm nemo jr. Instead of Juno. Looks like about 5 or 6 outside my window.

Total disappointment here in Westchester...I think I have 5.5" in Dobbs Ferry.

Never have gotten past 15-20dbz on radar while the mega band continues to slam CT and Suffolk County.

Yes..one thing this storm is lacking that Nemo had is the thunder and lightning. Almost every cpl of mins at a time during Nemo. Hoping this band can keep coming just a lil more west then stall!

See this is what are neighbor from Selden with the Cotton Mather avatar (someone probably post 17th century New England actually I would think) was talking about...the lack of a nice band...well we did have it...though it looks a little more ragged than it did an hour ago...might re energize, might not...

See this is what are neighbor from Selden with the Cotton Mather avatar (someone probably post 17th century New England actually I would think) was talking about...the lack of a nice band...well we did have it...though it looks a little more ragged than it did an hour ago...might re energize, might not...

Really hope it does indeed re energize..trying to figure how many more hrs of snow this has left in it.

Oh its energized alrighty...but does seem to have consolidated back a little further east.  Riverhead must be getting rocked.  Despite that, viz here has been frequently less than 100 yards for the past hour or so.  It's like looking out into a thick fog.  Looks like about 11" on the snow stake, of which 9" would be from this storm.  We had 5" as of midnight.  Despite 1/4 mile or less viz since then, can't seem to get good rates, although the last hour was at least 1.5"

Killer band seems to be setting up from Riverhead to Worcester to Portsmouth.  There's your jackpot in the making.

EDIT: PS its down to 20F here, so can't blame the surface temps for the rates.  The highest temp since the snow started falling early Monday morning was 26.

Looks like the storm may be over for W. Nassau in just a few hours. 

Here in Wantagh it seems like there's about 10-12 inches on the ground. 

That...might...not be true...:crossesfingers:  I think something is happening in the last frame...is it pivoting more?  Might hang on by a thread for longer.  

Haha! Me too!  that's pretty amazing.  piled up real quick!

Of course...if you *did* miss it...although I'm a multidisciplinary dilettante...this is one scenario I would probably be unable to replicate...

BTW who *is* that guy...think I once I knew him...

Of course...if you *did* miss it...although I'm a multidisciplinary dilettante...this is one scenario I would probably be unable to replicate...

BTW who *is* that guy...think I once I knew him...

yeah, can't replicate that.  the avatar is "Joseph Ducreux (June 26, 1735 – July 24, 1802)  an eighteenth century French artist known for his unorthodox style of portrait paintings."  This piece was used to make internet memes back in 2011 and I always thought it was really funny.  

yeah, can't replicate that.  the avatar is "Joseph Ducreux (June 26, 1735 – July 24, 1802)  an eighteenth century French artist known for his unorthodox style of portrait paintings."  This piece was used to make internet memes back in 2011 and I always thought it was really funny.  

Yeah I recall sitting for him once by the River Seine...of course, when the Revolution started things got rather insane 'round there...

Difference between this storm and 2013 in this area is that the killer band is ~40 miles east. We had one of those overhead for hours in that storm. Interesting to see if that heavy stuff can make it back west over time—Twin Forks getting destroyed right now.

Glad to see you Peter and not a minute too soon...we need somebody to move that band just back this way...I've got some rope...and some extension cords too...maybe a laso???

Lasso won't cut it...we'll have to rely on the power of positive thinking. Sending some happy vibes the storm's way now...

Norman Peale devote hmm?

*ponders*

19 here with what I want to call heavy snow, but it is accumulating very poorly.  It is heavy enough that when there are lulls in the wind, viz is still no better than 1/4 mile, but such small crappy flakes.  I guess the wind is shredding them.

I don't have an anemometer, but I'm pretty sure we are verifying the blizzard warning,  Any one driving through an open area probably is in a complete whiteout and I don't see how it would even be possible to know if you were still on the road.  Sound Avenue must be absolutely impossible ( and probably impassable) with the band that is rocking Hampton Bays, KFOK, Riverhead and the north fork.  That's where there might be 2 feet.  I think it will make at least a foot here eventually, but it may be difficult to get much more than that unless some good bands linger well past 7am.

19 here with what I want to call heavy snow, but it is accumulating very poorly.  It is heavy enough that when there are lulls in the wind, viz is still no better than 1/4 mile, but such small crappy flakes.  I guess the wind is shredding them.

I don't have an anemometer, but I'm pretty sure we are verifying the blizzard warning,  Any one driving through an open area probably is in a complete whiteout and I don't see how it would even be possible to know if you were still on the road.  Sound Avenue must be absolutely impossible ( and probably impassable) with the band that is rocking Hampton Bays, KFOK, Riverhead and the north fork.  That's where there might be 2 feet.  I think it will make at least a foot here eventually, but it may be difficult to get much more than that unless some good bands linger well past 7am.

My take on this is if the area around here gets to 20 inches then the whole mess is salvaged just like March 2001 was (though that was more like a 15 inch threshold)...I mean who can complain about a 20 inch snowstorm?

We are under roughly 25dbz echos, so not necessarily light, just poor accumulators.  On the other hand I just noticed how deep the snow is all around my car and I may have to revise my estimate upward once I can poke around with the measuring stick.  I have 2 snow stakes in good representative locations, but maybe not with this wind,

The 5" at midnight was measured.  Since then I've just watched accumulations creep up the snowstakes excruciatingly slowly despite visibilities consistently very low.  I know there is tons of blowing snow, but there also seems to be a lot of falling snow that just isn't building up much.

Agree with Pammy, despite my observations above, still a very good storm with probably some high totals nearby.  Not to mention it is a fine example of a true blizzard.

Now I've got to get a couple hours sleep before work.

Archived