joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible Weekend Snowstorm, Jan 24 2015

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SREF plumes are all over the place up here.  They range from .14 to 1.37 inches of snow in St. J.  How can we make plans with such uncertainty!!

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index.php?YMD=20141124&RT=03&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=1V4&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=8&mLAT=44.49234506559211&mLON=-72.82372153625488&mTYP=roadmap

^_^

Edit: I just looked again and saw the more recent two runs actually show a spread with a couple of 5+ members this way.  I self jinxed.

this actually puts thie interesting area so close to me.

SREF_prob_dend_50__f030.gif

The general trend since yesterday has been to get warmer aloft from 850-700. It's not 850 you need to focus on.

But as long as that 750-800 range stays below 0C, then it doesn't matter...this NAM run, it end sup mattering for BOS, but a lot of other runs it's warmer at like 750mb but colder at 850mb which is a good tradeoff if it was previously warmer at 850mb (but above zero)...and the latter scenario has a warmer but still below 0C 750mb.

But as long as that 750-800 range stays below 0C, then it doesn't matter...this NAM run, it end sup mattering for BOS, but a lot of other runs it's warmer at like 750mb but colder at 850mb which is a good tradeoff if it was previously warmer at 850mb (but above zero)...and the latter scenario has a warmer but still below 0C 750mb.

I know, but every tick matters. It's the NAM, but the same general idea is there on the models. The ticks have to end soon. It really gets warm closer to 750-800 or so. 

Beware of model noise. It's the day before the event. We often see these little differences in track that end up being nothing but noise in the end. Look for some consistency here heading into tonight before you get overly weenie or overly debbie depending on where you are. Just remember, it's the NAM. RGEM/EURO/Canadien probably a better combination.

Archived