joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible Weekend Snowstorm, Jan 24 2015

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying that will happen here PF, but that's just an example.

Yeah I know what you mean.  Seems every storm this season, even up here, has been a nail biter until the very end...relying on some half a degree celcius cooling somewhere in the column.  Can't seem to just get a snowfall where its like -8C through the entire column haha.

I wouldn't look at the GFS and base a forecast off it, but adding more models to a certain trend can help.

The 18z NAM seems to be on its own with that weird warm punch way up high in the 750mb range. It probably got over-amped at 500mb and just ripped everything too far west. Not uncommon for NAM-esque solutions.

This would be a tough enough forecast if models were consistent... 18z RGEM throwing in an additional wrench.

Based on past performance and the fact that NAM / GFS and now 18z RGEM all seem to be waffling, I'd stick with 12z Euro with a slightly tempered 3-5" forecast for Boston metro unless 0z guidance pushes otherwise.

Box map looks very good and I like that they don't chase these model fluctuations.

After that GFS discussion..why are people looking at it? Mind blowing 

That's a damn good point. Look at them all try to back-track into using it as an ensemble, after calling it literally useless.

But that's because it's not useless, it's just not as good as we want it to be.

This would be a tough enough forecast if models were consistent... 18z RGEM throwing in an additional wrench.

Based on past performance and the fact that NAM / GFS and now 18z RGEM all seem to be waffling, I'd stick with 12z Euro with a slightly tempered 3-5" forecast for Boston metro unless 0z guidance pushes otherwise.

Box map looks very good and I like that they don't chase these model fluctuations.

I think 3 is a good starting number in the range. Feel good about that thanks to front and back of system.  

I tip my cap to BOX; they seem to do well tempering each forecast tweak with a nod to the prior, for consistency. It's rare for them to make very big leaps, and in that practice, from my perception, it's been rare that they've needed to do so.

That's a damn good point. Look at them all try to back-track into using it as an ensemble, after calling it literally useless.

I think I will take perhaps one of the best most climo knowledgeable NE mets I know, advice on that. Eck knows bro

We could call it bottom of the barrel in this case.

The takeaway is that if you didn't have the model, I don't think your forecast would suffer.

I think I will take perhaps one of the best most climo knowledgeable NE mets I know, advice on that. Eck knows bro

Eck said it's garbage and to step away and not consider using it.

That was immediately followed by Will and Ryan both commenting on the CCB shown on the 18z GFS.

But my point is, every forecaster is still going to use it.

Yeah but how much weight do you put on it?

You are playing a semantics game. Some of us might put only a very minor amount of weight into what it says. Others might use it a little more.

In any case, it doesn't matter. The storm doesn't have a lot of model divergence at this second aside from the 18z nam.

Exactly. It has no use in anyone's forecast. There aren't any mets that are basing any aspect of their forecast on it. Or shouldn't be if they are

Well it is true to a point. It is 6 hrs closer to an event and in theory should have a better idea than its 12z run. However, you still need to ask yourself if it makes sense. In this case, the RGEM surprised me a bit.

Archived