• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible Weekend Snowstorm, Jan 24 2015

ineedsnow

Euro dumps like 0.4" of QPF after 21z on the stinger CCB for BOS...that is significant because BOS is back to a snow sounding by 21z. So we'll have to see how that materializes.

We don't often get CCBs that work out as the storm exits stage right...but we look for certain ingredients in place to see that....namely, a rapdily deepening mid-level center that is still both south and east of the region, and a neg tilt H5 trough that is to our S or SE and hopefully with a strong vortmax curling up to the north on the east side of it. You almost want it to be in the process of trying to close off.

This storm has these features so it's believable that we could end as a nice period of snow after any taint (for those that do taint).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks awesome for CT...but wouldn't put too much faith in it...especially here along the shoreline. Even if it evolves like the Euro, it's a very thin line we're toeing. But those who are lucky enough to get into some banding could cash in.

Yeah rather than taking that type of output verbatim, it's more of an indication on how close the thermal profiles become aloft.

Looks awesome for CT...but wouldn't put too much faith in it...especially here along the shoreline. Even if it evolves like the Euro, it's a very thin line we're toeing. But those who are lucky enough to get into some banding could cash in.

Yeah, We know IP is not 10:1 ratios, More like 2-3:1

I see Kevin's point. It's tough to rely on it enough to put it into a forecast, but we've seen it happen before and it's a pretty strong signal for dynamic cooling not only on the Euro but on the RGEM and NAM as well. The uncertainty of where it sets up and how strong it is makes it pretty impossible to forecast it and hence you have to assume it won't happen anywhere when making a map(Except perhaps putting a line in about isolated higher totals), but I think someone in that area is going to be all or close to all snow and ring up a big total as a result. 

Huh? It came a bit NW. Looks more like the EPS mean from 00Z.

I thought the Euro last night had us almost to .5qpf and so I expected with this run that the qpf would've increased above .5.  It sounds like it didn't.  I think the almost .5 was from the EPS mean overnight, not from the Op.  So if CON is .5 then we are probably .4 on today's Op.  I guess that doesn't feel like much of a move to me.  Maybe we get decent ratios.

This one's a tough one...the thermal profile is so marginal for several hours...it's not like when we say "during the 2 hour period when it changes over, there's amazing dynamics so an extra 2 hours of S+ could really change the outcome before it flips to sleet"....in this case, we are talking about a static marginal profile for about 4 or 5 hours at the warmest point before it flips back to snow...not a huge WAA punch and then a dryslot.

We actually have the mid-level centers to our southeast which is more of an advantage. It's difficult to predict dynamics because you have to remember the models try and account for this. So you are really guessing whether the model has underestimated it or overestimated it. We have another round of models at 00z to help clear up the picture a little more....but my guess is there will be a lot of nowcasting for this one.

Archived