SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Discussion for Late January into February

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at all the op and ensemble runs they all put down plenty of snow for many of us in the next 2 weeks. Little details can delight or disappoint. Eg: If I get 2-4 inches of cement which includes an inch of driving rain knocking down what could have been 8 inches well....I'll still be happy. But overall I think the pattern looks good going forward.

GFS looks good again with the Monday system.

The Euro has actually been the outlier in not showing much of anything the past 2 runs. We'll have to see if it comes back on board today...esp since it's hitting that 96 hour mark or so. You would certainly want to see the Euro come in board...if not 12z, then certainly by 00z.

The Euro has actually been the outlier in not showing much of anything the past 2 runs. We'll have to see if it comes back on board today...esp since it's hitting that 96 hour mark or so. You would certainly want to see the Euro come in board...if not 12z, then certainly by 00z.

Clipper, Miller'B look, Blows the low up offshore, Long duration also

Ensembles definitely hinted at it last night, definitely a decent proportion of the members that have something(I'd guess 35-40%). Mean was about 3" for BOS. Hopefully that's a signal that the op will follow, oftentimes it is. 

GFS is not weak with the first system, gets down to 970mb east of CC.  Also the second storm is very cold all the way to the coast.  Would bring roughly 1.3-1.7" of QPF to CC.  Even the first system is cold on the GFS now, it would be like a .4" of rain turning to 1.5" of snow QPF.  Second storm would be 1.5 to 2.0" of QPF all snow.  They both could become blizzards, but the second one is more likely than the first one due to colder temps.

Loving the fact system 1 isn't as strong which allows system 2 to flourish. We could be looking at a snowy period.

System one is just strong enough to deliver good snows to some, but just weak enough to not disrupt downstream flow allowing the clipper to amplify in time to give snow for more. Somewhat of a balancing act going on here.

Archived