SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Discussion for Late January into February

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensemble mean is similar to the OP for the Monday system...looks like a light event, but there is some potential in there for something bigger.

Yeah I'm wondering if that's a dynamic theft sort of scenario between Saturday and ~ next Tuesday... The system on Saturday/eve is above median confidence in my mind, but then if so there may not be enough time to put a moisture axis within reach of the clipper/Miller B.

Having said that, a lot of guidance types have that as a much slower evolution. It's really more of a coincident (in timing..) of a clipper settling into the bottom of a standing wave/trough... So given time, perhaps Atlantic moisture could be pulled west in CCB or quasi CCB.  It's gonna be interesting to see what happens there.   That whole set up screams norlun too; if cyclogen proper fails... wouldn't shock me if other impact types unfold. 

I think Monday may trend bigger. It's a small nuance and the euro trended stronger today for New England.

The 0Z NAM at 84 is down in Delaware with the low, that means the GFS will probably come in over North Carolina, my hunch is we'll lose the GFS at 00Z but then again, thats why we run the models..

GFS actually had a sharp disturbance, but it dove south before curving NE. Definitely something to watch with other 00z guidance. Still close, esp south coast of SNE.

Goes from a KU to a whiff in 2 runs...all inside 96 hours. I love the new GFS. :lol:

The weird thng is I remember para nt changing quicky like this run to run and now there doesn't seem to be any consistency. Case in point Saturday was a near whiff until it got within 60 hours.

Yeah we are close enough now that we can say the GFS shat the bed in this coastal...as recently as the 00z run last night it had essentially a whiff.

GFS is a fine model for forecasting general patterns...I like the ensembles and such for that. But they have yet to do any type of upgrade on that model that fixes it's underlying atrocities in east coast cyclogenesis during the cold season.

Saturday will be the biggest snow of the winter for you and I. Of course if it's 3 inches it qualifies so it's a low bar but don't sell it short. If we get into the CCB we can have some fun. Remember, I'm driving!

Saturday is annoying and pisses me off. Screws a textbook Monday event in favor of some slop. Yay. Hopefully the euro isn't as bad.

Saturday is annoying and pisses me off. Screws a textbook Monday event in favor of some slop. Yay. Hopefully the euro isn't as bad.

There's nothing you or I can do to change it. Textbook situations a week out early pan out. So take what you get. If you see S+ you'll be saying wheee like the rest of us.

I noticed the hugest change on runs like the GFS have been the energy near Hudson Bay (or just east) dipping down much further...essentially crushing the miller B shortwave...so part of this seems disconnected from the Saturday storm.

Though if the Saturday storm was nothing, this might amplify into a Miller B anyway despite the curshing Quebec/ontario Vortex lobe.

GFS actually had a sharp disturbance, but it dove south before curving NE. Definitely something to watch with other 00z guidance. Still close, esp south coast of SNE.

3/8/84 was mentioned in the MA thread...its similar until it reaches the MA, but right now this one doesn't want to turn up the coast.

Archived