• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

Someone start a new thread for this, game on for the foothills and mtns of NC at the least. I would have started a thread earlier this evening but I've been mobile all day so haven't been able too. I knew this thing could only trend colder and I don't think it's done either. "The storm that had almost everyone lined up at the cliff"

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks. This is certainly something else. I might try to figure out a place in Boone to stay.

Could easily become Asheville's storm if we get colder, though. We got more QPF toward south, but we don't have Boone's elevation.

EDIT: Euro clown gave Asheville 7.4 inches and Boone 7.9 inches. This is what I mean when Boone got advantage of elevation even though QPF is lower. Realistic, Asheville got 4 inches from this run considering we get less time of full-snow profile and the fact we're one of the driest areas in WNC. If this is all-snow event, then mountains surrounding Asheville would jackpot.

Could easily become Asheville's storm if we get colder, though. We got more QPF toward south, but we don't have Boone's elevation.

Dude your fine, as long as ur east of the blue ridge. Once snow gets going in the mtns it dont stop.

Edit: Your in a valley with mtns all around that helps trap low level cold too. An hey im just telling you my obs from all my life no disrespect. Lol i mean west im east.

Someone start a new thread for this, game on for the foothills and mtns of NC at the least. I would have started a thread earlier this evening but I've been mobile all day so haven't been able too. I knew this thing could only trend colder and I don't think it's done either. "The storm that had almost everyone lined up at the cliff"

I personally would wait until after the 12z GFS tomorrow.

the thread is really already started. If it is a storm for the mountains that is what that thread is for so to not clutter up the board with multiple threads for our snow events. Also as much as has changed the past 24 hours who knows what this storm will look like in another 24 hoursm

Clown map spits out over a foot of snow for the eastern half of NC by hour 312. 

MMM...Fantasy Snow!!!!

A little dot of 18" just south of Pitt County per Allan's maps, not bad. Better than I've seen on some of the wildest ensemble members this winter so far. :lmao: Book it!

The 12Z EPS looks absolutely marvelous with a Miller A/overrunning suggested on the bottom of a very large/cold Arctic outbreak. The precip. window start seems to have moved about 1/2 a day with the precip. threat window starting late on 1/31 and ending early 2/3. Total 72 hour qpf for days 10-13 is a whopping 0.50-1" for virtually the entire SE! For that far out in time, that is a very strong wet signal and it is wetter than the 0Z EPS. 850's are about 1 C colder than the 0Z EPS. The mean suggests a major snow threat for virtually all of TN/NC except SE NC as well as far N MS/AL/GA/SC. Below that in north and central MS/AL/GA, much of the rest of SC, and SE NC would potentially be most threatened with IP/ZR in addition to any SN.

The clown (beware as it counts all wintry precip. as accumulating SN!!!) is snowier than the 0Z EPS. Here are some highlights/heavier amounts: 3" at James' place and 2.5" at Brick's yard/CR's castle/NE GA's home. ASVL gets 3" and Charlotte nearly gets 3". Knoxville gets 2". The 1" line gets all of the way down to Chris' caboose in MCN.

The 12Z EPS looks absolutely marvelous with a Miller A/overrunning suggested on the bottom of a very large/cold Arctic outbreak. The precip. window start seems to have moved about 1/2 a day with the precip. threat window starting late on 1/31 and ending early 2/3. Total 72 hour qpf for days 10-13 is a whopping 0.50-1" for virtually the entire SE! For that far out in time, that is a very strong wet signal and it is wetter than the 0Z EPS. 850's are about 1 C colder than the 0Z EPS. The mean suggests a major snow threat for virtually all of TN/NC except SE NC as well as far N MS/AL/GA/SC. Below that in north and central MS/AL/GA, much of the rest of SC, and SE NC would potentially be most threatened with IP/ZR in addition to any SN.

The clown (beware as it counts all wintry precip. as accumulating SN!!!) is snowier than the 0Z EPS. Here are some highlights/heavier amounts: 3" at James' place and 2.5" at Brick's yard/CR's castle/NE GA's home. ASVL gets 3" and Charlotte nearly gets 3". Knoxville gets 2". The 1" line gets all of the way down to MCN.

Does it have blocking like the Op Euro is showing?

Does it have blocking like the Op Euro is showing?

Pack,

Regarding the mean EPS day 10: The EPO/AO blocking look similarly very nice (awesome -EPO) but Greenland still has cool anomalies. We could work with this even if the NAO stays positive. Example: the awesome 1/1988 massive SE winter storm, which was also during a Nino. I wouldn't sweat it as the EPS is still showing huge potential..it "knows" there's no -NAO on the mean.

Pack,

Regarding the mean EPS day 10: The EPO/AO blocking look similarly very nice (awesome -EPO) but Greenland still has cool anomalies. We could work with this even if the NAO stays positive. Example: the awesome 1/1988 massive SE winter storm, which was also during a Nino. I wouldn't sweat it as the EPS is still showing huge potential..it "knows" there's no -NAO on the mean.

Sounds great, a +PNA/-EPO/-AO will work, just need it supreseed and a cold air delivery.

Major ATL SN and/or IP: NAO/AO: blue means both neg.; red means both positive

2/12-3/2014 NN +0.8/+0.6

1/9-10/2011 MLN -0.3/-3.4

2/12/2010  SEN -1.1/-4.8

3/1/2009  WLN +1.0/+2.3

1/2-3/2002 NN -0.5/0

3/13/1993 NP +0.1/+1.7

1/18/1992 SEN -0.7/-0.1

1/7/1988 SEN +0.5/+0.1

1/22/1987 MEN -1.0/-1.7

3/24/1983 SEN +0.1/-1.6

1/12-14/1982 NN 0/+0.8

2/17-18/1979 NN -0.1/-0.2

1/9/1962 NN +0.6/+1.8

3/11/1960 NN -0.4/-3.1

2/15/1958 SEN -0.2/-1.9
 2/26/1952 WEN +0.1/-1.7

Major ATL ZR:

3/2/1960 NN +0.1/-0.4

3/9/60 NN -0.2/-2.8

1/18-9/1962 NN +0.2/+2.8

12/24-5/1962 NN -1.9/-0.5

1/9-10/1968 NN -0.7/-1.8

3/25/1971 MLN +0.3/+0.4

1/7-8/1973 SEN -1.1/+0.1

2/6-7/1979 NN -1.1/-1.6

1/22-23/2000 SLN -0.7/-0.4

1/28-30/2000 SLN +0.4/+3.5

1/28-9/2005 WEN 0/-2.1

12/14-5/2005 WLN -0.5/-2.1

2/12/2014 NN +0.8/+0.6

It appears that as long as the NAO stays +1.0 or lower, it is quite doable.

Per the 18Z GFS and 12Z EPS: wow! We could very well be looking at an epic period of wintry precip. followed by intense cold from two highs, especially if there is sig. SN/IP on the ground (all covering the period 1/31-2/6). This would almost certainly be enough to make this a great winter from many people's perspective. That's often all it takes to make a great SE winter.

By the way, the precip. generally lasts 24+ hours on the 18Z GFS.

Edit: this is obviously still mainly for entertainment and for the record since it is still 11 days out.

Archived