• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

Interesting, the trend all winter has been weaker and further east inside 4 days, let's see if this storm bucks that trend.

I was reading through the Feb 19, 2012 thread.  It's good weenie motivational material.  The storm was progged either with a perfect track, but no cold air, or going inland on most models.  Countless posts with "congrats NOVA/DC".  Then, inside three days it trended way south and we got snow.  :weenie:

In addition, it had the customary D9-D10 crushjob on the Euro to get everyone excited initially before the models went to hell and back inside of five days.

Looks like the Euro was the first model to come back towards the final solution about 60-72 hours out, so we need some model miracles either tonight or tomorrow at noon.  LOL.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading through the Feb 19, 2012 thread.  It's good weenie motivational material.  The storm was progged either with a perfect track, but no cold air, or going inland on most models.  Countless posts with "congrats NOVA/DC".  Then, inside three days it trended way south and we got snow.  :weenie:

In addition, it had the customary D9-D10 crushjob on the Euro to get everyone excited initially before the models went to hell and back inside of five days.

Looks like the Euro was the first model to come back towards the final solution about 60-72 hours out, so we need some model miracles either tonight or tomorrow at noon.  LOL.

can you post a link to the thread?

How did the ensemble look for the mtns? I still think we are in for good snow storm despite the slightly warm look for us atm. I can't recall the Mtns ever starting as heavy snow and going over to rain, it's always the other way around when both rain and snow are involved.

Boone looks fine. The mean is 4" for this system, only 2/50 without snow on the 12z EPS mean. Precip is just under 0.8", plenty to work with...I don't think elevated areas in the Appalachians should be worried about seeing only rain. Accumulation 1"+ probability is around 70-80% for the apps.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/32679-feb-18-20-2012-discoanalysis/

Yeah, I love looking back at old threads sometime. It's fun to see all the Days of our Lives drama in the prior days with the reactions to the model runs. :)

If you want another similar scenario take a look at the Christmas storm from 2010, another similar series of events, LR bomb, nothing, nothing, big storm 2 days out. WNC is still in this folks. Stay strong!

It's funny at hr 63 on the Nam there's a small sliver of 850's at 0c in the upstate as moisture is moving in. It's quickly gone at 66. Probably a blip.

The RaleighWX clown for the 00z NAM has 1-2" for GSP, FWIW.  1-2" in NW NC on down to GSO, too, and down the foothills to about Shelby into NW SC and NE GA.  Didn't see it, personally...  Think the clown is overdoing it.

The oz Nam starts a ne heading and comes inland south miss and alabamba. If it could stay due east another 6 to 12 hrs before turning it would really change for the better for alot of folks. Notice the space between the hp sliding east into the mld atlantic region and the GL low which is way up north of the lake region compared to earlier. If the confluence can improve just a smidgen or the low delay it's left turn, the mtns esp high country could stay all snow.

I'm going to post this just to get weenie spirits up....  Pretty sure the NAM doesn't actually show much/any snow east of the Apps...

OTOH, it's nice to have Allan's maps back.  Wish I'd have signed up for it last winter.

7160i8.gif

Probably overdone for valley areas like Asheville, but even 2-3 inches is still nice to get.

I got a feeling the gfs , ukie, or euro is gonna delay or be a notch futher east when the LP makes the left turn or starts climbing. This will be huge for the mtns, esp if that hp is moving in tandem into PA at the same time and has the same or more seperation than the nam from the southern Canada or GL lp. More seperating between those 2 would argue for stronger hp.

Ukie use to be good at handling phased storms coming out of GOM, so pay attention to it. That's just one piece to the puzzle. Watch the confluence up north and see if the gfs or euro can better the nam on the hp placement strength and seperation. All it takes is another half tweek on those 2 factors and mountains could easily become gold.

Ukie use to be good at handling phased storms coming out of GOM, so pay attention to it. That's just one piece to the puzzle. Watch the confluence up north and see if the gfs or euro can better the nam on the hp placement strength and seperation. All it takes is another half tweek on those 2 factors and mountains could easily become gold.

The UKMET was wide right and way OTS at 12z. Precip didn't get north of the NC/VA border. It does tend to be a bit suppressed in general, though.

Burger if you look at the LP to the ne of Maine and compare to where the Nam places it. Do you see a difference. That lp was kinda of wound up on the nam and blocking the hp , fact hp slid sw from PA toward Delmarva because of it. When the HP was in good place on the nam it also had better separation from the GL low, which was futher north of the lakes.

Archived