• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

Nice look, deep and south.  Need the cold air to come through for us.  18z says go big or go home.

I try not to weenie out on what the models are saying this far in advance but I just checked out the individual panels for the 18z GEFS and, boy, does that setup look primed for a major storm.  Out the 240 hrs, there are several differing configurations of the pattern but nearly every one looks like a prime setup for a significant event.  Most members are bringing down a 1055mb+ HP in with a split flow configuration.  It's beautiful.  Even better, the Euro ensembles are on board as well.  

IOW.. this ain't one of those "thread the needle" type of storms.   :)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try not to weenie out on what the models are saying this far in advance but I just checked out the individual panels for the 18z GEFS and, boy, does that setup look primed for a major storm.  Out the 240 hrs, there are several differing configurations of the pattern but nearly every one looks like a prime setup for a significant event.  Most members are bringing down a 1055mb+ HP in with a split flow configuration.  It's beautiful.  Even better, the Euro ensembles are on board as well.  

IOW.. this ain't one of those "thread the needle" type of storms.   :)

Regardless of what the numbers say, we have a true +PDO/+ENSO flow going right now with the storm on Friday, then what the models look like going forward.  We've had many years where we didn't have a prayer getting that look out west.  The Eastern Canada and Greenland pattern is what has been killing us.

Regardless of what the numbers say, we have a true +PDO/+ENSO flow going right now with the storm on Friday, then what the models look like going forward.  We've had many years where we didn't have a prayer getting that look out west.  The Eastern Canada and Greenland pattern is what has been killing us.

That LP over the lakes this month has been hanging out like cousin Eddy.  Ruining everything

It's not much but here's (part of) RAH's discussion last night:

THE SURFACE LOW WILL EXIT TO THE NORTHEAST SATURDAY AS THE SHORTWAVE
LIFTS AWAY FROM THE AREA. THE BACK EDGE OF A DEFORMATION BAND MAY
CLIP THE NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE AREA...CONTINUING THE CHANCE OF
RAIN...OR EVEN A RAIN/SNOW MIX AS COLDER AIR ADVECTS IN BEHIND THE
SYSTEM.
TEMPS WILL BE SLOWLY RISING INTO THE UPPER 30S TO LOWER
40S...SO EVEN IF A CHANGEOVER OCCURS...THE IMPACTS WOULD AGAIN BE
NIL.

&&

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
AS OF 335 AM THURSDAY...

A BRIEF PERIOD OF SUBSIDENCE ON SUNDAY WILL ALLOW TEMPS TO REACH THE
UPPER 40S AND LOWER 50S WITH A LIGHT SOUTHERLY WIND DEVELOPING AHEAD
OF A STRONG DISTURBANCE DIVING THROUGH THE MID-MISSISSIPPI RIVER
VALLEY REGION.  THE DISTURBANCE WILL SWING ACROSS THE REGION SUNDAY
NIGHT INTO MONDAY...WITH ADDITIONAL ENERGY CARVING OUT A DEEP TROUGH
OVER THE EASTERN US TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.  THIS SYSTEM WONT HAVE
MUCH MOISTURE TO WORK WITH...AND THE AMOUNT OF QPF THAT MAY BE
GENERATED WILL DEPEND ON HOW FAR SOUTH THE ASSOCIATED VORT MAX
REACHES.  MODELS CURRENTLY PRODUCE SOME SHOWERS ON MONDAY AND THE
ECMWF GOES AS FAR AS TO PRODUCE WHAT WOULD BE SNOW SHOWERS ON
TUESDAY
.  CONFIDENCE REMAINS RELATIVELY LOW GIVEN THAT IT IS
NORTHWEST FLOW AND THERE ARE STILL SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES IN THE
GUIDANCE.  WHILE SHORT LOVED...THE SHOW OF COLD AIR WILL BE
NOTICEABLE AS THICKNESSES DIP BACK BELOW 1270M...WHICH SHOULD RESULT
IN TEMPS IN HIGHS IN THE 40S AND OVERNIGHT LOWS WELL INTO THE 20S.
THE TROUGH AXIS IS EXPECTED TO MOVE OFFSHORE BY MIDWEEK BUT THE
LONGWAVE PATTERN IS EXPECTED TO STILL FAVOR SOME DEGREE OF TROUGHING
OVER THE EASTERN US AND TEMPS AT OR BELOW NORMAL.

The 6z I looked at , had a storm, but it was rain on the 1st or 2nd, then a monster snow and ice storm for the Carolinas on the 3rd and it basically snows/ ices for next two days!!! Great run!

There is a surface low that tries to track inland, and then another pops off the coast or so. Still 10/11 days away from us.  Not sure if it looks quite right.

Mack, it's a devastating ice storm for many.  I'd rather it stay North of my area.  It's far away, but the ice is definitely an option down this way.  Not sure if this dual low thing is legitimate or not.  Seem's it remain mostly snow without the inland one.

Mack, it's a devastating ice storm for many.  I'd rather it stay North of my area.  It's far away, but the ice is definitely an option down this way.  Not sure if this dual low thing is legitimate or not.  Seem's it remain mostly snow without the inland one.

I would imagine it's having trouble showing the transfer at this range. Right now I just want it to continue to show cold and precipitation.

I would imagine it's having trouble showing the transfer at this range. Right now I just want it to continue to show cold and precipitation.

Quite possibly.  At 500mb it seems like it closed and then got recaptured or something?  Not quite enough experience to work all of that out.  It ends up screwing many of us in the SE though.

Mack wishful thinking man. The models cannot even get a storm right 3 days out. I was reading on the main forum were Don S was talking about the gfs wild swings from run to run.

No doubt, but wishfull thinking is all we got this winter! And the GFS has had this storm for 5-6 days in a row , in some form or fashion, so it's consistant and the Euro has had it , but dropped it to a sheared mess last night, and the models have ensemble support, so maybe this one will stick?

No doubt, but wishfull thinking is all we got this winter! And the GFS has had this storm for 5-6 days in a row , in some form or fashion, so it's consistant and the Euro has had it , but dropped it to a sheared mess last night, and the models have ensemble support, so maybe this one will stick?

The EPS wasn't the worst.  Still had a Winter storm for many of us, more so from the Upstate,NE GA, TN (Possibly), NC.  Still some big ones in there too.

Mack wishful thinking man. The models cannot even get a storm right 3 days out. I was reading on the main forum were Don S was talking about the gfs wild swings from run to run.

Don S is right about that! For RAH, the 00z GFS precip total went from .12" in the 1/30 thru 2/7 timeframe.... to 2.81" total for the same period on the 06z (per MeteoStar)

Archived