joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I buy it but gives a lot of GA snow and NC cashes in on probably 2-4 inches. 

Instead of a Gulf system, as you said there is a clipper that dives SE and then combines with a coastal for some snow. Interesting. I'd much rather see a nice juicy Miller A, However. Plenty of time to watch!

The Euro is just windshield wipering back and forth. It could easily go back to the more moist Miller A/WSW 500 mb flow solution. However, if not, we still have intense cold to look forward to with snow showers quite possible.

This look of the 0Z Euro suggests more Arctic air will come down after this first batch (not the very impressive west coast ridging) and that could come in at a better angle for Miller A action. Let's see what the EPS shows for the 11-13.

No matter what, the 1/31-2/6+ period is looking quite exciting in the world of wx. We can't ask for much better than this. It is pretty rare to see such an extreme pattern being modeled like this day after day. We could very well be looking at a very memorable period. If wx enthusiasts aren't pumped by the potential of this general look of the model consensus for the SE US, I don't what could get them pumped. By the way, the NAO is closer to neutral near the end of this run than the 12Z Euro had for the same time.

Fwiw, the 6Z GFS has a widespread, major winter storm from a classic tracking weak Miller A for a large portion of the SE US 2/1-2, even including the coast at Charleston for the 2nd year in a row! It includes Macon. The 6Z GEFS concurs with this threat.

Fwiw, the 6Z GFS has a widespread, major winter storm from a classic tracking weak Miller A for a large portion of the SE US 2/1-2, even including the coast at Charleston for the 2nd year in a row! It includes Macon. The 6Z GEFS concurs with this threat.

Would that be snow or ZR over the Atlanta area? Look to me like a cold pocket reaches well into the heart of Georgia on that run. Also, is that a second low that developed west of Tampa? It seems to have vanished over the next 12 hours. Curious what that would do (better with more moisture or worse with temps) for snowfall chances along the coast? Lots of time to ponder, but that sort of setup is new to me. 

Morning, Larry!

I know it's foolish to worry about precip shield and what-not this far out, but for giggles, how far north does the precip get on the GEFS? Cant get the maps to load on WxBell past D9 right now. OP run says nada north of NC (except a small sliver of far SEVA)

Also, the storm appears to be delayed an entire day. Instead of Superbowl Sunday, it looks to not come in until Monday? Not sure I like that trend either.

I wouldn't quantify this as a Miller A, more along the lines of an overrunning event/suppressed Miller B, IMO...

The European operational is also the only model (operational &/or ensemble) trying to breakdown the western flank of the anomalous North Pacific ridge in the Bering Sea w/ a series of vorticity lobes that spin off from a main trough currently located over north-central Russia. Its solution doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me in that regard, of course, (along w/it completely cutting off the southern stream piece in the southwestern US), this discrepancy causes issues downstream & os a primary reason why its depicting this system as a Canadian Clipper as opposed to a bonafide overrunning event as is currently shown in all other guidance, including the ECMWF Ensembles...

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_10.png

ecmwf-ens_z500_mslp_us_10.png

Morning, Larry!

I know it's foolish to worry about precip shield and what-not this far out, but for giggles, how far north does the precip get on the GEFS? Cant get the maps to load on WxBell past D9 right now. OP run says nada north of NC (except a small sliver of far SEVA)

Also, the storm appears to be delayed an entire day. Instead of Superbowl Sunday, it looks to not come in until Monday? Not sure I like that trend either.

At this range the models tend to wobble instead of trend. We're still in the mode of just asking the question is a storm in the eastern US possible during this time period.  

I wouldn't quantify this as a Miller A, more along the lines of an overrunning event/suppressed Miller B, IMO...

The European operational is also the only model (operational &/or ensemble) trying to breakdown the western flank of the anomalous North Pacific ridge in the Bering Sea w/ a series of vorticity lobes that spin off from a main trough currently located over north-central Russia. Its solution doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me in that regard, of course, (along w/it completely cutting off the southern stream piece in the southwestern US), this discrepancy causes issues downstream & os a primary reason why its depicting this system as a Canadian Clipper as opposed to a bonafide overrunning event as is currently shown in all other guidance, including the ]

So at this point, you believe any solution cutting the energy off in the sw is likely incorrect?

Also, what is the Miller A we are seeing now being driven by? TIA

The European operational is also the only model (operational &/or ensemble) trying to breakdown the western flank of the anomalous North Pacific ridge in the Bering Sea w/ a series of vorticity lobes that spin off from a main trough currently located over north-central Russia. Its solution doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me in that regard, of course, (along w/it completely cutting off the southern stream piece in the southwestern US), this discrepancy causes issues downstream & os a primary reason why its depicting this system as a Canadian Clipper as opposed to a bonafide overrunning event as is currently shown in all other guidance, including the ECMWF Ensembles...

webber - I would view it as a weak Miller A.  What do you use to distinguish between the 2?

All modeling looks good with the cold air setup (for now), but disagree on the handling of the southwest wave.  GFS suite looks very good right now.  Euro leaves a lot to be desired with keeping it buried in the southwest and relying on northern stream energy.  Canadian is kind of in between the 2.  I would lean toward us seeing at least some of that southwest energy come out, but long way to go

Getting at least somewhat convinced of chance of frozen/freezing precip here in north GA a week from Sunday. Perfect pattern with cold air in place for a couple days, southern branch system with a weak low skimming along the GOM coast. Pretty good consistency with the ensemble runs- biggest question for us is snow or ZR/IP? I am rooting for the former, not a huge fan of ZR.

ill take it but I'm hoping for a strong low skimming the GOM coast.  :snowing:

Morning, Larry!

103yj2g.gif

9t1i05.gif

2dltdhh.gif

Some tweets from Allan Huffman this morning. 

The evolving weather pattern looks friendly to winter weather chances by Jan 31st through Feb 3rd. overnight models continue to support this

Strong/Cold vortex moves into southern Hudson Bay/Quebec/Ontario which provides cold air source and suppresses polar jet south

This helps keep a steady supply of cold high pressures dropping for Canada into Upper Midwest then slide east across Great Lakes into NE.

Thus providing cold air into Southeast/mid-Atlantic. Part 2 active southern jet sends impulses that "should" stay suppressed to the south.

Allan Huffman ‏@RaleighWx  1h1 hour ago
And not cut to the Lakes. Thus chances for rain/snow/ice line to be further south. Details are still to be ironed out. But ...

I really like winter storm chances centered around Super Bowl Sunday or following Monday. Carolinas/N Ga/TN north in particular. Stay tuned

0z & 6z GEFS looking very nice.  Definitely a strong signal for a serious storm to affect the south next weekend.  And now, just for a little fun, here are a couple of the best snow maps from the 6z GEFS panels...   :D

That second map would make almost (except Mobil Al & Florida) everybody on this board happy. I would love to see that outcome.  

Nice Wow.  panel 12 is a Widre special.  :ee:

Growing confidence among the mets it seems there will definitely be something wintery going on next weekend.  imo if we're still looking at this Sunday/Monday night the specifics of whether its a strung out [baggy?] lp (or series of strung out lps) vs a miller A can start to be nailed down

When looking at runs this far out, it is important t remember the bias of each model and figure them into the equations. The GFS tends to be too far east initially and corrects west and north as we get closer to the time in question. When looking at the EURO, it tends to hold back energy in the SW and does not allow it to come out initially but usually progresses eastward as we close in on the last 2-3 days. That is why the EURO does not look too impressive and presents us with nothing more than a clipper while the GFS is ramping the storm up too far East and South (and I think both will correct over time) so we have plenty of model watching coming up

So at this point, you believe any solution cutting the energy off in the sw is likely incorrect?

Also, what is the Miller A we are seeing now being driven by? TIA

webber - I would view it as a weak Miller A.  What do you use to distinguish between the 2?

As I mentioned yesterday on banter, I'm not buying an extremely suppressed solution (like February 1973 & December 1989 for ex) as is being depicted by the 6z GFS unless we see a decent +NAO/AO spike to offer even further suppression to any incipient disturbance within the subtropical branch of the jet. For now, the European is alone in withholding the piece in the southern branch deeper into the SW US & off the Baja, most, if not all other guidance is faster & further to the east. Unified West/West-Southwest flow aloft in association w/ a cut-off upper level low over the Desert Southwest is characteristic of an overrunning/Miller B event... For Miller A, we usually like to see it come out of the Northwest/West-Northwest around the base of the 50-50 Low off Atlantic Canada, & the westward shift of this feature into Quebec & Ontario as in Miller B/Overrunning is one of the distinguishing factors (along w/ the placement of the core of the high-latitude blocking (Pacific (-WPO/EPO)=Miller B, Atlantic (-NAO/AO= MillerA) that stratifies the storm types. 

If you look at the mean vector wind & geopotential height contour orientation in & around Texas, you'll usually get a good idea of the storm type we're going to be confronted w/...

Here are the mean z500 for some recent Miller Bs... SW-WSW flow over Texas.

December 3 2002

US-500mb-December-2002.gif

January 9, 2011

US-500mb-Jan-9-2011.gif

February 14, 2003

February-14-2003-US-500mb.gif

January 29, 2010

Jan-29-2010-US-500mb.gif

Now for some Miller As... Note the mean West/West-Northwest flow over Texas

December 17, 2009

December-17-2009-US-500mb.gif

January 1, 2002

January-1-2002-US-500mb.gif

December 1, 2000

December-1-2000-US-500mb.gif

January 24, 2000

January-24-2000-US-500mb.gif

The upcoming set-up...

WSW-SW flow over Texas, even on the suppressed looking operational GFS = Miller B/Overrunning

gfs_z500_vort_us_38.png

Additionally, the overall synoptic pattern configuration doesn't favor a Miller A at this juncture, and once again, unless we see the Atlantic pull a rabbit out of the hat w/ robust -NAO/AO, we're likely not going to see a Miller A.

Negative 200hpa VP is fixing to show up over 30-60E band again as the main active cell of the MJO crosses through the Atlantic/Africa in the next week or so. I'm looking for our 9th winter storm in a row in central NC w/ -VP in 30-60E...

28.gif

Archived