joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticing the Euro still hold to its bias of not progressing storms through the STJ and holding for the longest time over the SW.   It's doing it here with the Super Bowl Sunday storm where a bulk of the energy stays cut off (and actually retrogrades a bit) off the SW coast.  

Looks like it's still going to manage a weak disturbance over the gulf coast despite this, and give us a significant snow storm by 222 hrs.  

See what I mean about not having to thread the needle here? ;)

EDIT:  Make that a MAJOR snow!  Wow!

Just a colossal difference in the wave handling there over the southwest.  Of course, this IS ten days out, lol  

I hear ya.....but the GFS way is much more workable...that was more of a random dart on the Euro

Yeah, no doubt.  My post was mostly in jest and probably should have been in banter.  I really hope the Euro bias is at play here.  It would be a kick to the groin if that low cut off and migrated to the baja at the same time a 1050+ H was marching into the plains, with a parent high in the northeast.

I really hope the GFS is onto something.  The Euro ensembles will be interesting to see how many bring it out vs how many leave it back.

I still think this is the best "look" we have seen all winter, and there isn't even a close second in my eyes.

I don't have access to 500mb vort maps for that range for the Euro but I imagine there was a small amt of energy broken off from the main low for the northern branch to phase into.  For a pure PJ to spark a GOM low it has to dig more than what it's showing.

I don't have access to 500mb vort maps for that range for the Euro but I imagine there was a small amt of energy broken off from the main low for the northern branch to phase into. For a pure PJ to spark a GOM low it has to dig more than what it's showing.

It did look like something small broke off but just goes to nothing in the jet once getting to AZ or so.

Huge snowfall mean for Carolina on the 12z eps

I highly suggest some of that into deep SC to be ZR/Sleet also counted as snow.  AL even looks good on some EPS members.

Now, since we are so far out, hopefully we can keep everyone from cliff-diving from some of the horrible runs we are going to see over the next couple days while things get figured out on the OP runs.

I know this is pretty simplistic, but I think a lot of the good things that can happen hinge on whether or not the energy comes out (GFS) vs. getting left behind (Euro).

It will probably come out, (Euro bias) Then cut up west of us. lol   Wouldn't surprise me in the least, the way this winter been so far. :axe:

RAH long term discussion. **I'll take any kind of wintery precip I can get

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...
AS OF 150 PM THURSDAY...

LATE WEEKEND THROUGH NEXT WEEK WILL FEATURE HIGHLY AMPLIFIED MID
LEVEL FLOW AND COOLER TEMPERATURES AFTER A BRIEF PERIOD OF
SUBSIDENCE ON SUNDAY WHICH WILL ALLOW TEMPS TO REACH THE UPPER 40S
AND LOWER 50S. IN THE ENSUING NORTHWEST FLOW REGIME...AN INITIAL
SHORT WAVE WILL BE DIVING SOUTHEAST THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY SUNDAY
NIGHT...GRAZING NORTH CAROLINA ON MONDAY. THIS WILL BE FOLLOWED
QUICKLY BY ANOTHER REINFORCING IMPULSE ON TUESDAY...BUT DETAILS AND
TIMING ISSUES THROW A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY INTO THE FORECAST AT THIS
POINT. THESE TWO SYSTEMS WILL BE LIMITED TO THE MOISTURE THAT THEY
BRING WITH THEM...WHICH WILL PRODUCE WIDESPREAD CLOUDINESS...BUT
ONLY LOW PRECIP CHANCES AND AT THIS POINT WILL BE LIMITING POPS TO
AROUND 30 PERCENT ACROSS THE NORTHERN TIER. IF SUFFICIENT MOISTURE
WITH THE INITIAL SHORT WAVE ARRIVES SUNDAY NIGHT THERE COULD BE SOME
LIGHT MIXED PRECIP ACROSS THE NORTHERN TIER IN THE PRE-DAWN TO EARLY
MONDAY MORNING
BEFORE TEMPERATURES NEAR FREEZING WARM INTO THE UPPER
30S BY MID MORNING. WILL HAVE A SMALL POP FOR RAIN SHOWERS ON MONDAY
AREA-WIDE WITH HIGHS FROM THE MID 40S NORTH TO PERHAPS SOME LOWER
50S SOUTHEAST.

COLD AIR ADVECTION BEHIND THIS SHORT WAVE WILL KICK IN MONDAY NIGHT
AND MINS WILL FALL INTO THE UPPER 20S NORTH TO AROUND FREEZING
SOUTH. THERE IS LESS CONFIDENCE WITH TIMING BUT ALSO LESS POTENTIAL
FOR PRECIP WITH THE SECOND IMPULSE DIGGING TOWARDS THE AREA ON
MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY. AT THIS POINT WILL MAINTAIN ONGOING SLIGHT
CHANCE POPS LIMITED TO MONDAY NIGHT. IF WE GET PRECIP...THERE COULD
BE A CHANGE OVER TO A MIXTURE OF VERY LIGHT RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS AS
TEMPS FALL BELOW FREEZING MONDAY NIGHT.
WILL KEEP POPS OUT OF THE
FORECAST TUESDAY FOR NOW GIVEN INCREASING UNCERTAINTY WITH TIME IN
THE NORTHWEST FLOW PATTERN. TUESDAY HIGHS WILL BE FROM 40 TO 45.

THE UPPER TROF SHIFTS OFFSHORE BY LATE WEDNESDAY...WITH A SLIGHT
WARMUP EXPECTED TOWARDS LATE WEEK AS HEIGHTS INCREASE WITH RIDGING
ALOFT AND PLENTIFUL SUNSHINE ON THURSDAY. HIGHS WEDNESDAY WILL
STRUGGLE TO GET OUT OF THE MID 40S...WARMING TO THE UPPER 40S TO
LOWER 50S THURSDAY...WHICH IS ONLY SLIGHTLY BELOW NORMAL.

&&

Even if the euro holds it back as long as it send a little chunk good things can happen just like the OP showed us

True, but it's been 1,442 days since Nashville has recorded an inch of snow.  This is the longest stretch since records started being kept in 1884.  I'd like to see it come out just to give them a better opportunity at an inch, lol.

Are you sure about that? All I have is 1" at CLT. It's been more impressive. 

I'm guessing some of the members might have the snow post-D10.  Looks like about 1" pre-D10 here.

EDIT: Yeah, looking at the 50-member stamps on WB, it looks like a lot of members have the storm in the D11-12 timeframe.  2"+ covers most of the state with 3" extending from about Durham to Hickory and 4" just north/west of Greensboro.

I know this is pretty simplistic, but I think a lot of the good things that can happen hinge on whether or not the energy comes out (GFS) vs. getting left behind (Euro).

Actually, what's amazing is despite their seemingly vast differences in timing, the end result is similar on both, a huge winter storm over the southern tier. Although I will say, the synoptic pattern w/ the core of the high-latitude blocking over the far North Pacific & tendencies of the NAO/AO thus far this winter, (among other things) are leaning heavily in favor of a Miller B or overrunning event here, a Miller A is virtually off the table unless the Atlantic decides to cooperate...

12z GFS 6-10 day z500 analogs are very close to that "500mb preceding major southern US overrunning events" package. (i.e. virtually the biggest Miller B/Overrunning type storms I could think of since the 1950s... December 8-10 1958, February 9-11 1973, January 5-8 1988, December 22-24 1989, December 4-5 2002, January 29-30 2010, & January 8-10 2011)

Southern-US-Overrunning-500mb-N-hem-6-10

The MJO has been moving abnormally slow through the Western Hemisphere of late however, its 200hpa -VP reflection will be in the vicinity of that "pivotal" 30-60E longitude around the start of February, & it also looks like a CCKW will lead to another anomalous surge in convection near the International Dateline within what appears to be a much more organized, wavenumber 1 upper level circulation w/ considerably less destructive interference from the Indian Ocean/Maritime Continent. I'm certainly starting to get the impression, especially of late (aside from of course the more obvious interannual KW variance), that the residence time between the core of the Australian & Asian Monsoons is a favored period for resurgence/reorganization of a +ENSO event... The current event started to crank up late last winter & spring as a slow moving, high amplitude Pacific MJO pulse & series of CCKWs instigated the formation of a fairly massive Oceanic Downwelling Kelvin Wave...

December-2013-March-2014-Pacific-Subsurf

201401.phase.90days.gif

5s-5N-200mb-VP-anomalies-March-12-2014.p

...then E Hem/IO interference kicked in over the summer as the Indian/Southeastern Asian Monsoon sprang to life, and we saw yet another period of intensification around the equinox, only to experience more interference as we've reached the peak of the Australian Monsoon. Very interesting

Archived