joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting your 73 analog showing up.  Several other smaller hits too.

We shouldn't have to resort to the February 1973 analog unless the NAO decides to pull a fast one on us, and if that ends up being the case, we'd really be talking about suppression... even areas down to the I-10 corridor and the Gulf coast would be @ play for wintry weather

We shouldn't have to resort to the February 1973 analog unless the NAO decides to pull a fast one on us, and if that ends up being the case, we'd really be talking about suppression... even areas down to the I-10 corridor and the Gulf coast would be @ play for wintry weather

Be funny if suppression rules for early Feb.

As I mentioned yesterday on banter, I'm not buying an extremely suppressed solution (like February 1973 & December 1989 for ex) as is being depicted by the 6z GFS unless we see a decent +NAO/AO spike to offer even further suppression to any incipient disturbance within the subtropical branch of the jet. For now, the European is alone in withholding the piece in the southern branch deeper into the SW US & off the Baja, most, if not all other guidance is faster & further to the east. Unified West/West-Southwest flow aloft in association w/ a cut-off upper level low over the Desert Southwest is characteristic of an overrunning/Miller B event... For Miller A, we usually like to see it come out of the Northwest/West-Northwest around the base of the 50-50 Low off Atlantic Canada, & the westward shift of this feature into Quebec & Ontario as in Miller B/Overrunning is one of the distinguishing factors (along w/ the placement of the core of the high-latitude blocking (Pacific (-WPO/EPO)=Miller B, Atlantic (-NAO/AO= MillerA) that stratifies the storm types. 

If you look at the mean vector wind & geopotential height contour orientation in & around Texas, you'll usually get a good idea of the storm type we're going to be confronted w/...

Here are the mean z500 for some recent Miller Bs... SW-WSW flow over Texas.

While I agree it looked more like a Miller B there was probably a much easier way to explain I think. When I think of a Miller A I think of a crawling low going OTS then bombing and crawling up (perfect case). 6z looks like it starts tracking the low to ATL then a secondary low forms @252 off the coast. The thing is you can't see what happens between those hours...but yea to me for that reason it looked more like a Miller B.

That type of solution is what more people should be rooting for if we have the cold air in place as it would a big widespread storm affecting more folks. It would also probably favor different P-types as Jeremy stated. Personally I love those oldschool storms where we have a sandwich with snow on top and ice in the middle.  

Surprised no one mentioned the Euro EPS last night. It looked freaking fantastic overall. I don't have access to panels but the ENS mean seemed to indicate lots of potential for snow in the SE. 

Yes,  SW low more robust and progressive compared to prev run.  That's what I want to see right now.  

Don't want to the PJ to overtake the field as it has trended toward a more consolidated PV further south in recent model runs.  That's great for the strength of the HP but gotta keep that STJ strong enough to keep it from being sheared out completely.  

While I agree it looked more like a Miller B there was probably a much easier way to explain I think. When I think of a Miller A I think of a crawling low going OTS then bombing and crawling up (perfect case). 6z looks like it starts tracking the low to ATL then a secondary low forms @252 off the coast. The thing is you can't see what happens between those hours...but yea to me for that reason it looked more like a Miller B.

That type of solution is what more people should be rooting for if we have the cold air in place as it would a big widespread storm affecting more folks. It would also probably favor different P-types as Jeremy stated. Personally I love those oldschool storms where we have a sandwich with snow on top and ice in the middle.  

That's a big if for this area....miller b's more often than not leave mby in the dreaded 33 and rain while just to my north and west(gsp/clt/greenwood) cash in. Hopefully the cold hangs on this time  ;) 

That's a big if for this area....miller b's more often than not leave mby in the dreaded 33 and rain while just to my north and west(gsp/clt/greenwood) cash in. Hopefully the cold hangs on this time ;)

It's a chance I'm willing to take! When it comes to wintry threats, it's every man, woman, and child for themselves ! :) GFS looks like it's still about to be game on!

Right, we usually see in a Miller A, one primary region of low pressure form in the Gulf of Mexico or off the southeastern US & intensify as it progresses north-northeastward generally up or off the Carolina & US Eastern seaboard & sharp contrasts in precip types w/ relative lack of icing results... & Miller Bs usually feature an initial primary low pressure center or upper level low track inland towards the Appalachians, Tennessee Valley, etc. while a transfer of energy occurs towards the coast, & in the process multiple air masses can become entrenched aloft= mixed precipitation. What I'm doing here is discrediting the GFS idea for what may appear to be a Miller A as a region of low pressure riding along a considerable baroclinic zone slides off well to our southeast (in reality it is still an overrunning event), by pointing out specific features (like high-latitude North Pacific blocking, WSW-SW flow over Texas, etc.) all of which are more akin to Miller Bs/Overrunning. Thus, I'm not only suggesting that the setup as a whole is more favorable to a Miller B, but to some extent that the GFS actually appears to contradict itself here by producing a solution that doesn't agree w/ historical precedence. At this point, we shouldn't get too worked up over details anyway, it's just nice to see, truly for the first time this winter, aside from the conditions in place, that we have an unusual amount of run-run consistency within the models... The GFS for instance has shown this storm the last 7 of 8 runs in some form or fashion w/ deviations in & around the I-40/I-20 corridors.

GFS-Snow-Jan-21-23-2014-Long-Range-Runs-

Theme of the winter, but atleast it's cold, really cold.

Plenty of time for it come back (storm) and even go there (cutoff) again.  What bothers me is the caving "towards" the last couple euro solutions.  Alignment in that direction would take some air out of this 'watch'

Plenty of time for it come back (storm) and even go there (cutoff) again.  What bothers me is the caving "towards" the last couple euro solutions.  Alignment in that direction would take some air out of this 'watch'

Yes, it is going more Euro instead of the Euro going more GFS. I guess if it falls apart it is better to do it early thn to wait until next week. Gives it time to "come back around." But this is really frustrating to see this winter.

Right, we usually see in a Miller A, one primary region of low pressure form in the Gulf of Mexico or off the southeastern US & intensify as it progresses north-northeastward generally up or off the Carolina & US Eastern seaboard & sharp contrasts in precip types w/ relative lack of icing results... & Miller Bs usually feature an initial primary low pressure center or upper level low track inland towards the Appalachians, Tennessee Valley, etc. while a transfer of energy occurs towards the coast, & in the process multiple air masses can become entrenched aloft= mixed precipitation. What I'm doing here is discrediting the GFS idea for what may appear to be a Miller A as a region of low pressure riding along a considerable baroclinic zone slides off well to our southeast (in reality it is still an overrunning event), by pointing out specific features (like high-latitude North Pacific blocking, WSW-SW flow over Texas, etc.) all of which are more akin to Miller Bs/Overrunning. Thus, I'm not only suggesting that the setup as a whole is more favorable to a Miller B, but to some extent that the GFS actually appears to contradict itself here by producing a solution that doesn't agree w/ historical precedence. At this point, we shouldn't get too worked up over details anyway, it's just nice to see, truly for the first time this winter, aside from the conditions in place, that we have an unusual amount of run-run consistency within the models... The GFS for instance has shown this storm the last 7 of 8 runs in some form or fashion w/ deviations in & around the I-40/I-20 corridors.

GFS-Snow-Jan-21-23-2014-Long-Range-Runs-

Great post and great educational info/explanation on Miller A and Miller B storms!

LOL. For the people wanting snow I wouldn't worry about this run, you should be happy, cold is there, you have energy in the SW.

I do like where it's going day 10, PV heading east.

Best overall look for cold and snow we have had all winter in the MR to LR. Keep your motion pills handy and stay away from the cliff! Hard to imagine we keep run to run consistency for over a week on this. Best news is the big picture. Hopefully the pattern holds and we have more opportunities beyond this storm into Feb. Today's ensemble indices look much better for a -AO, PNA tries to turn + after Feb 1. Even the NAO moves toward neutral. I have not seen them but heard that the Euro picture was even better for a more favorable PNA, AO, NAO after Feb 1. Maybe our time is finally here!

Yes, it is going more Euro instead of the Euro going more GFS. I guess if it falls apart it is better to do it early thn to wait until next week. Gives it time to "come back around." But this is really frustrating to see this winter.

Good analysis! The suppressed look is great 10 days out! Cold has been our biggest problem so far this winter, so if the cold is showing up, that's a win in my book. Like today's system , we all thought was going to magically get cold from somewhere and give everybody snow, even though none of the models showed cold air!

Archived