joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is farther east with the low near Hawaii, and that's what helps to kickout the low in the southwest states, while the Euro buries the wave off Baja.  The GFS has more of a nino like wave train through the Pacific which is what we'd like to see to keep the southern stream waves moving along.

Euro

nzhqnm.gif

GFS

9fmrkj.gif

GFS is farther east with the low near Hawaii, and that's what helps to kickout the low in the southwest states, while the Euro buries the wave off Baja. The GFS has more of a nino like wave train through the Pacific which is what we'd like to see to keep the southern stream waves moving along.

Euro

http://i61.tinypic.cm.gif

GFS

http://i61.tinypic.com/9fmrkj.g/img]

Any clue why the EPS is so much colder then the GEFS. Usually it's the other way around.

Actually, what's amazing is despite their seemingly vast differences in timing, the end result is similar on both, a huge winter storm over the southern tier. Although I will say, the synoptic pattern w/ the core of the high-latitude blocking over the far North Pacific & tendencies of the NAO/AO thus far this winter, (among other things) are leaning heavily in favor of a Miller B or overrunning event here, a Miller A is virtually off the table unless the Atlantic decides to cooperate...

12z GFS 6-10 day z500 analogs are very close to that "500mb preceding major southern US overrunning events" package. (i.e. virtually the biggest Miller B/Overrunning type storms I could think of since the 1950s... December 8-10 1958, February 9-11 1973, January 5-8 1988, December 22-24 1989, December 4-5 2002, January 29-30 2010, & January 8-10 2011)

The MJO has been moving abnormally slow through the Western Hemisphere of late however, its 200hpa -VP reflection will be in the vicinity of that "pivotal" 30-60E longitude around the start of February, & it also looks like a CCKW will lead to another anomalous surge in convection near the International Dateline within what appears to be a much more organized, wavenumber 1 upper level circulation w/ considerably less destructive interference from the Indian Ocean/Maritime Continent. I'm certainly starting to get the impression, especially of late (aside from of course the more obvious interannual KW variance), that the residence time between the core of the Australian & Asian Monsoons is a favored period for resurgence/reorganization of a +ENSO event... The current event started to crank up late last winter & spring as a slow moving, high amplitude Pacific MJO pulse & series of CCKWs instigated the formation of a fairly massive Oceanic Downwelling Kelvin Wave...

...then E Hem/IO interference kicked in over the summer as the Indian/Southeastern Asian Monsoon sprang to life, and we saw yet another period of intensification around the equinox, only to experience more interference as we've reached the peak of the Australian Monsoon. Very interesting

Agreed w/ the bolded. This pattern is definitely not favorable for a pure miller a snowstorm for NC. That said, the combo of the Arctic hp over SE Canada (w/ a core near -40C) and a large slow moving open STJ wave, could produce a multi-day event with several different precipitation types.

Agreed w/ the bolded. This pattern is definitely not favorable for a pure miller a snowstorm for NC. That said, the combo of the Arctic hp over SE Canada (w/ a core near -40C) and a large slow moving open STJ wave, could produce a multi-day event with several different precipitation types.

Agree as well.  I can see this being a number of leading pulses of energy riding along arctic front rather than a singular robust Miller A storm.  Regardless, that can put down a ton of snow in a more widespread fashion compared to a miller A scenerio.

Agree as well.  I can see this being a number of leading pulses of energy riding along arctic front rather than a singular robust Miller A storm.  Regardless, that can put down a ton of snow in a more widespread fashion compared to a miller A scenerio.

Yeah, strong Pacific highs naturally induce this kind of setup because they force an anomalously large/strong cold core trough in the vicinity of southeastern Canada/Great Lakes. This of course allows cross polar flow to envelope North America east of the Rockies and confluence in & around the induced/predominant eastern N America trough base = rising lower level heights over Ontario, Quebec, New England, & the Great Lakes (CAD high), not to mention split flow, w/ amplification of the southern branch underneath the Rex Blocking over Alaska, the Aleutians, & extreme northeastern Russia...

The 500mb precursor to "classic" NC Miller Bs (1-3 day lead) is definitely there

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_9.png

N-hem-500mb-NC-Miller-BCAD-Events.jpg

Even if you extrapolate the precursor out another week in advance, the primary features (burgeoning PNA & SCAND ridge) are still there. We're definitely headed in the right direction.

Even though N America could use some work, Eurasia looks absolutely fantastic...

N-hem-500mb-NC-CADMiller-B-1-Week-Lag.gi

gfs-ens_z500a5d_nhem_1.png

I have little doubt even @ this premature juncture, we'll probably end up facing a Miller B/Overrunning type storm (if any).

It's going to take some dramatic alterations in the pattern configuration to convince me otherwise...

Any clue why the EPS is so much colder then the GEFS. Usually it's the other way around.

Hard to say Pack, they have a similar look up north.  Out west, the GFS Ens has actually been trending more toward kicking out the wave in the southwest.  The low northeast of Hawaii is stronger and moves east more on the GFS Ens compared to the Euro Ens and is acting to kick out the wave in the southwest...so, big diff there

Getting at least somewhat convinced of chance of frozen/freezing precip here in north GA a week from Sunday. Perfect pattern with cold air in place for a couple days, southern branch system with a weak low skimming along the GOM coast. Pretty good consistency with the ensemble runs- biggest question for us is snow or ZR/IP? I am rooting for the former, not a huge fan of ZR.

Getting at least somewhat convinced of chance of frozen/freezing precip here in north GA a week from Sunday. Perfect pattern with cold air in place for a couple days, southern branch system with a weak low skimming along the GOM coast. Pretty good consistency with the ensemble runs- biggest question for us is snow or ZR/IP? I am rooting for the former, not a huge fan of ZR.

Multiple types make sense.  Down around ATL, KCAE, (KMCN?), KAGS, I could see this turning dicey in a not so good way with some ZR.  Just too early to tell like you said.  

The high pressures being shown, the cold air source, the pv sagging south... it's going to be hard for a lot of the SE to miss out if a system does come out.. then we have to figure out just how much SW energy comes out and in what size/waves/ (all at once I doubt now).  Even at this range, the cold is probably underdone.

If huge chunks decide to come out in succession, we could still get the historic Winter storm in the SE.  Whatever the precip type may be.  Just so many options to figure out.

The earlier maps suggest the the Euro will probably come in colder but drier with more NW flow cutting off the moist Gulf/WSW flow at 500 mb. Let's see..  But it is just one operational run out ten days.

edit: Well, maybe it will be good. Hold everything!

Edit 2: No, too dry. 500 mb flow looks like it won't quite go moist WSW. But wow, it looks cold!

Archived