joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UKMET was wide right and way OTS at 12z. Precip didn't get north of the NC/VA border. It does tend to be a bit suppressed in general, though.

LOL the Ukmet is comical in these situations most of the time, then has a moment of holy crap what was I thinking. I'm really hoping the Nam and Euro solutions are over amped and we can ride middle of the road type setup here.

Damn, the GFS is close to snow here at hr 72.  Looks like snow for the border counties and the northern foothills (N/W of INT or so).  That's two runs in a row of colder temps.  **Haven't looked at BL temps**

I don't remember a coastal in Jan that has rain for so many. Odd winter continues.

I don't remember a coastal in Jan that has rain for so many. Odd winter continues.

Rockin' January! ;)

The 00z GGEM is coming in more neutrally tilted early in its run compared to the 12z run.  Could be interesting for someone.

EDIT: The storm is booking it, too, which would help some.

Good hit for SW VA and NW NC.  Better run than 12z, for sure.  The LP tracks farther west than I'd like, however.  925 mb temps are actually below freezing from CLT to Durham N/W.  Much colder at the surface, as well.

Rockin' January! ;)

The 00z GGEM is coming in more neutrally tilted early in its run compared to the 12z run.  Could be interesting for someone.

EDIT: The storm is booking it, too, which would help some.

Good hit for SW VA and NW NC.  Better run than 12z, for sure.  The LP tracks farther west than I'd like, however.  925 mb temps are actually below freezing from CLT to Durham N/W.  Much colder at the surface, as well.

This is a huge snowstorm for mountains if we can get LP to track little farther east to allow some cold air in. Tonight's trend from 00z models are encouraging for those in western Piedmont.

This is a huge snowstorm for mountains if we can get LP to track little farther east to allow some cold air in. Tonight's trend from 00z models are encouraging for those in western Piedmont.

And we still have PLENTY of time for this thing to trend colder. As far as this thing has come NW I think we start to see a small but gradual shift east.

End of the month is still looking rather interesting with a split flow pattern developing and an attempt at some N Atlantic ridging nosing its way in per the GFS.  It's been picking up on this for the past few runs.

KVlbuEi.gif

Best looking potential all year, easily. Hoping this continues to show up.

WOW~  The drunk DOC must be super freakin' drunk tonight!  Its dramatically colder at 2m for most the SE.  Don't get hopes up yet, its still a bit warm for snow, but listen to this...Its VERY close to snow, if not some rain/snow mix of Central and Western TN with 2m 33-35 and 850's near -1 to -2c and some ok qpf from mem to bna.  For NC is remarkable how much colder this run is at 2m.  near 35 or even down to 33 from RDU *it appears* WEST to the mtns, where they are at 32.  850's are ABOVE 0c  tho.  I mean, this is like 2-4 degrees colder this run..IMHO thats a big jump in a  run.

LMAO, Euro actually pasted some snow on clown maps this time around for WNC. What a HUGE turn around!

EDIT: Euro crushes high-elevation areas, actually. Some of those peaks are above 850 mb and there are spots of less than 0C. Other areas in WNC is very, very close to major winter storm with juicy QPF.

I have NEVER seen such a jump on this model with the cold like this folks...no ****...oops... no joke..I am a little perplexed.  Old run for ATL was like 42 degrees....new run is like 37 or 38 by SAT AM at 2m.  This is gonna have some snow for TN, maybe NGA and NAL and NC   MTNS might be crushed if this is right.  

I have NEVER seen such a jump on this model with the cold like this folks...no ****...oops... no joke..I am a little perplexed.  Old run for ATL was like 42 degrees....new run is like 37 or 38 by SAT AM at 2m.  This is gonna have some snow for TN, maybe NGA and NAL and NC   MTNS might be crushed if this is right.  

Haha, it never takes GSO above 33 for the storm.  About how Snowmageddon went.  Front-end snow dump, then 33/rain.  Maybe it'll happen again.  It's a long-shot, but the 00z models have made huge shifts in that direction.

Sorry for like acting out tonight, but I honestly have never seen such a drop on this model in 1 run...Its really amazing.  I know it doesn't show any "snow" for N BAMA or NGA, but I bet there is snowflakes in the air by Sat am.  Nothing accumulating, but with 850's around -2c and 2m temps like 36-38 degrees, I would say its very possible. 

Haha, it never takes GSO above 33 for the storm.  About how Snowmageddon went.  Front-end snow dump, then 33/rain.  Maybe it'll happen again.  It's a long-shot, but the 00z models have made huge shifts in that direction.

There might be some IP/ZR if enough cold air gets trapped in there.  Kuddos for the NAM And GFS sniffing that out tonight.  

I'm banking on Wake Co. getting some back-end flurries or a trace as the low moves out, at 90 hours 0C line is all the way to I-95 with -2 0c temps over most of NC...if only that were in place before the system....NW NC got lucky this run as it kept right at 0c near the boarder at onset...

Sorry for like acting out tonight, but I honestly have never seen such a drop on this model in 1 run...Its really amazing.  I know it doesn't show any "snow" for N BAMA or NGA, but I bet there is snowflakes in the air by Sat am.  Nothing accumulating, but with 850's around -2c and 2m temps like 36-38 degrees, I would say its very possible. 

I don't think we can blame you for that! That was massive, massive change.

the comma head at 90hrs is exactly what would give Northern Wake Co. a trace or more for us central NC folks, 0.1-0.2" on the back end of the storm with the cold air mixing in I wouldn't be surprised to see flakes falling. Largely track/precip dependent so would take a miracle but it's not impossible. Best-case for us.

Archived