joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 obs/disco/short range

AlaskaETC

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z GFS says it will be in the upper teens at 00z THUR for KIAD and close to 10 above by 03z (10pm Wed night) :shiver:

Looks like single digit lows BR and west... 10-15 degree lows as you get to I-95 corridor... wouldn't be suprised to see some lows around 0 in the usual cold spots in LWX CWA

00z GFS has DCA in the upper teens at 1pm THUR... and makes it into the low 20s for highs... lovely

FWIW, last two runs of the NAM have joined the other models in showing accumulating snow over the northern part of the area on Tuesday morning.

gives BWI 08", Science Center in Baltimore .10" and mtn .12"

IF it was right, an inch+ for the Baltimore metro area would fall....except,  the NAM is always fail sooooo

gives BWI 08", Science Center in Baltimore .10" and mtn .12"

IF it was right, an inch+ for the Baltimore metro area would fall....except, the NAM is always fail sooooo

The GFS is similar. I don't think we can discount a bit of light snow, even though it's rare for clippers to trend south.

Yoda did declare this dead last night, even while the models trended better....so we have to factor that in. ;)

4km NAM (via Tropicalticbits) shows about 1 inch for DC, 2 inches for Baltimore, and 3-5 for Northern MD. (Although 6z was actually a tad higher in Northern MD so I don't know if I can trust it). SREF mean has 0.1" QPF through Northern MD, 0.01" line La Plata then straight E/ENE.

I recall JB always saying in these kinds of systems to watch the -10C 850 as they normally follow that track

it seems the models have been pushing that south so there "may" be some reason for hope with the trend as the -10C 850 line has been sinking south with each run

Won't the cold temps aloft result in a higher liquid-to-snow ratio? Maybe 12:1 or 15:1?

Won't the cold temps aloft result in a higher liquid-to-snow ratio? Maybe 12:1 or 15:1?

if memory serves, there is a sweet spot where you want to be for max dendrite growth and once you get above or below it, it reverts back closer to the 10:1

so, I believe the answer is "yes", higher ratios with colder temps, but we (BWI/DCA) rarely do that well with higher ratios and it is often hit or miss

last year, there were a few systems at the end of FEB that DCA/IAD did quite well with, but  that was luck

Archived