joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 obs/disco/short range

AlaskaETC

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if memory serves, there is a sweet spot where you want to be for max dendrite growth and once you get above or below it, it reverts back closer to the 10:1

so, I believe the answer is "yes", higher ratios with colder temps, but we (BWI/DCA) rarely do that well with higher ratios and it is often hit or miss

last year, there were a few systems at the end of FEB that DCA/IAD did quite well with, but  that was luck

Oh... I remember those. They were terrible up this way lol.

Just a couple of comments.  Clipper systems usually disappoint unless the surface low tracks to the south and usualloy you need the vort also to your south.  The vort looks like it tracks to the north of us.   That doesn't preclude snow especially if you have terrain in your favor but east of the mountains, we usually don't do well.   For high ratios you want the maximum vertical motion to be located near -15 C. 

Just a couple of comments.  Clipper systems usually disappoint unless the surface low tracks to the south and usualloy you need the vort also to your south.  The vort looks like it tracks to the north of us.   That doesn't preclude snow especially if you have terrain in your favor but east of the mountains, we usually don't do well.   For high ratios you want the maximum vertical motion to be located near -15 C. 

Thanks, Wes. I'm just hoping for a little snow that will actually stick around for a few days.

when people say cold/dry, warm/wet, this winter really has been pretty close to that so far.  i prefer the warm weather (not hot, but i'd rather have 50s in the winter), but if it's going to be cold, i'd like to see some snow.  looks like we're trading today's weather (50s outside right now) for a week of cold and a weak clipper.  hopefully, we get a significant storm to track at some point in the next few weeks.  we're entering our wheelhouse now.

Even though the overall vort max looks weaker on the hi res gfs, I like how the northern fringe is being cut off more than the southern boundary. Wouldn't that scenario favor this area slightly?

gfs_namer_054_500_vort_ht.gif

12/5/2007 was the last good one.

geez....model consensus at 48 hrs?

unbelievable

I would go lower than all guidance in our areas. Things could tend better qpf wise but whatever the final #'s look like with short range stuff tomorrow night, I think the under is a good call. Mountains are going to do their dirty work + it's a pretty flat vort.

I would go lower than all guidance in our areas. Things could tend better qpf wise but whatever the final #'s look like with short range stuff tomorrow night, I think the under is a good call. Mountains are going to do their dirty work + it's a pretty flat vort.

If I get less than an inch from the clipper, this winter sucks.

Oh, wait, it already does ;)

Archived