• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

mackerel_sky

Yeah it needs to wind the heck up and bomb pretty hard, like sub 995 or so off of VA/NC border hard, no slider or anything like that, it will be too warm...also an super close coastal hugger could prduce if it bombed just off of NVA, we would get some heavy backend snow. FWIW a handful of members from the 12z GFS with big dogs...this is my favorite. :snowing::weenie:

oh for god's sake this is a family forum.  keep it PG.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's say you can spend $100 for a lottery ticket that will net you an infinite sum of money should you win.  The expected value of such a bet is an infinity sum of dollars.  Thus, the expected value of playing is greater than not playing - E(not playing) = $100.  However, a normal risk averse person would not take this bet because our utility functions of wealth tend to look something like the below (square root function).  It's also why we buy insurance, and do other things to avoid risk.

I think that's called the St. Petersburg Paradox.

Yes, but that lottery ticket does not exist.  All such lotteries that I have previously seen only offer a finite sum of money should I win.  And, then, there are all those taxes I would have to pay on the winnings too.

Yes, but that lottery ticket does not exist. All such lotteries that I have previously seen only offer a finite sum of money should I win. And, then, there are all those taxes I would have to pay on the winnings too.

Yes, indeed. The fact is that in the real lottery, the expected value of playing is less than the expected value of not playing, so even for a risk-neutral person it makes no logical sense to play.

How much for GSP, me and shetley want to know!

0.01" of rain. Epic Jshetley dry slot.

Yes, indeed. The fact is that in the real lottery, the expected value of playing is less than the expected value of not playing, so even for a risk-neutral person it makes no logical sense to play.

0.01" of rain. Epic Jshetley dry slot.

Me and James will hit the bullseye, a band of heavy snow along the I-85 corridor, the likes of which have never been seen before :weenie::snowing::pimp:

Larry, any chance the GA mountains do well with this?

GAStorm,

Yes, on both ends...way better chance than ATL-AHN corridor as it stands now especially far north. Regarding the front-end, the 850 0C line has been trending northward. If that stays below the NC/TN line through the heart of the storm, then those mountains near it and above it would likely get sig. snow. So, those close to the northern border would have the best shot as of now though even they could be largely shut-out if the further north trend of the 0C line keeps up. They would need the low to track no further north than over SE Ga for them to be able to do really well with higher elevations doing best imo. On the backside, those mountains that do well with NW upslope flow would have the best chance to do well in this case imo...again likely better than ATL-AHN corridor, where a lot of downslope related drying typically takes place in these backside/NW wind situations.

If that's the case then I may be making a short drive up the mountains.

18-21_december09.jpg

Ah yes, the biggest snow IMBY since January 96. I wasn't there to witness it sadly but that was a mountain and immediate foothills special, it also made the turn up the coast and delivered a major snowstorm for the I-95 corridor. The new NAM at 84 hours (I know what your thinking) seems to be trying to show a band of frontogentical forcing stretching into WNC.

So did DT sound the alarm today?

Anyone who has lived in NC long knows we often see warm sunny days like today followed by snow in the same week during this time in January.

Yes. :lol:

** ALERT *** woof ... 12Z EURO MODEL ..12Z CANADIAN nd the 12z GFS ensembles (to a lessor degree ) ....all SHIFT the LOW off the SE US COAST FURTHER NW .. again.. BRING SIGNIFICANT SNOWSTORM TO CENTRAL VA / CENTRAL NC and lower MD eastern shore ..and rain and or snow to se VA and eastern NC

DOES THIS A BIG SNOWSTORM FOR EAST COAST? ? 

1. This is rapidly Changing situation. The TREND over the past 3 model cycles is for this low to come "Up the coast " BUT because of the Upper air pattern over Noth America it can only come so far North. This Low isnt going to Cape Cod or the benchmark ( 40N and 70 W).

2. this is NOT 10 days out or 7 days .. its 5 days and closing FAST. keep in Mind The forecasts have to be OUT there by JAN 23... today is the 19th... so do the math

3 this event does have the support of MJO which is currently in Phase 8 (weak phase 8) which in JAN/ FEB / MAR is one of the east coast snowstorm phases

4 Low level temps are marginal . This means right near the ground it might be 34 and snow/ rain mix which does not accumulate

10931398_807170205996906_559797344328962

**ALERT ** EUROPEAN MODEL ENSEMBLES SUPPORT THE NW TREND... and the THE OPERATIONAL or " regular"

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? see below

10920264_807218799325380_942157390379395

Archived