joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask me that same question in early March, when we're staring massive blocking in the face from mid-March through the end of April.

I will enjoy another extended spring  :D  Anything to keep the heat away for as long as possible  :lol: 

I'm looking forward to our first heatwave of the year on 3/29-4/3. Guarantee mid-80's

Ugh.....nooooooooooooooo!   :(     I'm not ready yet   :P 

Yeah, we've been had this winter. I'll read them for fun, but it's going to be hard to give a seasonal forecast much more weight than a coin flip.

It seems like nobody can predict blocking and that's what drives our winters usually.  

The SAI failed this year, the warm AMO (-NAO) is failing this year.  I am sure these indicators are never 100% so if you choose to believe in this stuff we are hitting the 10-20% failure this year.  Kind of hard to knock the seasonal forecasters for that.

It seems like nobody can predict blocking and that's what drives our winters usually.

The SAI failed this year, the warm AMO (-NAO) is failing this year. I am sure these indicators are never 100% so if you choose to believe in this stuff we are hitting the 10-20% failure this year. Kind of hard to knock the seasonal forecasters for that.

Oh I don't mean to knock anybody. In fact, I appreaciate the opportunity to read and learn from all of the seasonal forecasts. But we're nowhere near the place where we should put a lot of stock in any of them or any of these variables that allegedly have high historical correlations, as clearly, there are other factors that can easily trump everything at any time. Until that part of the equation is solved, it's pretty much like throwing darts.

Oh I don't mean to knock anybody. In fact, I appreaciate the opportunity to read and learn from all of the seasonal forecasts. But we're nowhere near the place where we should put a lot of stock in any of them or any of these variables that allegedly have high historical correlations, as clearly, there are other factors that can easily trump everything at any time. Until that part of the equation is solved, it's pretty much like throwing darts.

Truth......the forecasts were all based on something that hadn't happened yet, but all models were forecasting it to happen and the analogs used are the same way   :lol:  btw....I'm still waiting on my true Nino promised last spring/summer   :P   

JB is interesting, he isn't going down without a fight.  He may have a chance to get close with his temp forecast, assuming the next 6 weeks are brutally cold but hard to imagine that.  There is just no way his snow forecast is going to verify.  For example, I think BOS is at 5" for the winter and they avg about 40", so for them to finish 133% they would have to have 50" of snow from here through roughly mid-March.   He has the TN Valley and Oh valley at 167% above snow climo, that would take a series of Apps runners in Feb/March to pull that off.  

Although it is interesting, in 02-03, BOS did essentially pull off 50" in Feb/March.

Somehow I think the MA hits climo, they can usually pull a rabbit out there hat.

RDU has had several winters where we hit our avg in Feb/March (79, 80, 04, 14), just to name a few.

Backloaded winter? Back loading cow sh&t to keep the grease , dumpster fire burning! Everybody looking for the moisture to creep north on the models? So what, we get .25 instead of .10, with temps near 40! That sounds like a winning combination! 38+ light rates= crap!

The clipper coming behind it will bring glory!

Actually, Mack, that sounds more like a whining combination, something we seem to have in excess around here lately from many on this board.  ;)

Not forever.....but the decade I waited for it to snow again('00-'10) was absolutely miserable and I would rather not repeat it again   :(   

Those of us in georgia and sc have been sort of spoiled the last few years. I went years without seeing a flake too. it's not easy getting snow for most of georgia and south carolina, especially south of 85. Folks should keep that in mind every year, no matter what all these winter forecasts said or will say in the future.

Those of us in georgia and sc have been sort of spoiled the last few years. I went years without seeing a flake too. it's not easy getting snow for most of georgia and south carolina, especially south of 85. Folks should keep that in mind every year, no matter what all these winter forecasts said or will say in the future.

Lookout,

The bulk of N GA (if not all) has far exceeded climo for the winters since 2008-9, combined. I fully realize that. ATL has had a whopping four major winter storms since then! Four majors in six winters is hard to beat. The average % of total liquid equiv. that is wintry is under 5% for the bulk of N GA.

Archived