Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please stop James.

Everyone knows the NAM's accuracy in winter. This is a seasoned group many of which can take you to school on. You have conveyed a point and noted. NAM is 99.9% wrong at this time-frame. A blind squirrel that finds his nut type deal, don't become the NUT. 

I think there is a better chance of a widespread snow event occurring between the 5th-10th.

When you start questioning and calling out learned individuals you only diminish your credibility.    

I'm not questioning any one, or I'm not questioning a met who has the degree.  I'm just questioning the models.

Not the thread for it.

Scott in making this thread I think is spot on. A possible pattern change, that's all. I think he's stated on every other post not a snow forecast.

I'm not being critical in fact I love your exuberance and in many cases just what the board needs given at right time and conditions. 

Dendrite, I have learned my ways with both the NAM and SREFs, but there are times where they are correct and start a new trend of model runs.

Ya its better to Cite them after the fact. Otherwise you will end up crying wolf 80-90% of the time. We get it , the nam is bullish. I would set my alarm for 530 and chat rev kev up about this trend, chances are he will bite

The Euro does give credence to the idea that this has SWFE potential. I personally am leaning towards a Miller B and at least an initial period of some overrunning warm air advection wintry precip with the initial cold air mass in place but its a looooooooooong way's off.

Tell me about it.  Outside of the general pattern, we can't even get individual systems to look consistent from one run to the next.

I hope to have egg on my face when this season is over, but I am berry, berry concerned.

I just don't think we are very good at this yet.  It's difficult to pin down longwave features beyond 5 days or so with a high degree of skill.  And then the small-scale variations really determine regional weather.

I think the point that was trying to be conveyed is the first is the probabilistic part, and the second is the deterministic part.

For the small scale we have to wait until 96-72 hours to really begin to gain confidence and produce a deterministic forecast with some skill. However, those longwave features can often be forecast with some skill beyond day 7 as long as you view it in a probabilistic sense.

Longwaves give you chances, shortwaves drive the results.

Archived