Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

Will is also deterministic btw

Still thinking snow free NYD

Yeah it's like we can't help ourselves. Probably can be more confident of NYD now but as many have said impulses sometimes sneak up on us. We should at least have some cold so it could happen that we end up with snow cover.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't really know what kind of period we're entering.  Looks seasonally cold in the beginning, but there's probably a better than 50% chance that we end the month above normal.  And as for storms, you're just guessing and hoping.  We had a stormy period.  Now maybe things go quiet.

We really don't know a lot of things, but what is presented here is our best educated (usually) opinion.

The 29/30th event odds are getting lower and lower, only the SREFs and NAM have the storm.  Rest of guidance is by far and away done with the event.  The 5th is getting interesting, GFS is colder now with secondary formation off the ME coastline, while I think its a long shot to get snow before the 5th, I think this winter is going by too fast.  Man a snowless December is excruciating.

Man January should see some epic meltdowns

If I remember correctly I don't think Will Weighs Snowcover that high in importance (personally) to his enjoyment /satisfaction with winter weather. I know he said he was quite happy with the pattern going forward.

Will I wonder if you would be as excited with the pattern going fwd  if  "maintaining a pack" was higher rated to you. (and yes I know it must snow FIRST to have a pack lol)   

We don't really know what kind of period we're entering. Looks seasonally cold in the beginning, but there's probably a better than 50% chance that we end the month above normal. And as for storms, you're just guessing and hoping. We had a stormy period. Now maybe things go quiet.

I don't see what evidence there is that we have better than a 50% chance to finish the month above normal for temperatures. If all we know is that we start the month below normal and you don't know what the pattern will be after that, then you would want to hedge below normal.

I don't see what evidence there is that we have better than a 50% chance to finish the month above normal for temperatures. If all we know is that we start the month below normal and you don't know what the pattern will be after that, then you would want to hedge below normal.

Won't this month finish +2 or better for temps in most sites ?

That's exactly the kind of thing I would typically say.  And I agree. 

But I looked a little closer this morning and I'm not sure we start the month so much below normal.  Daily averages are getting pretty cold now. And nighttime lows are critical to getting big negative departures.  A cutter or a few cloudy nights can spoil an otherwise cold airmass.  And beyond that, there's no denying that we're in a long term warming trend, so any given month is more likely to be above normal than below (all else being equal).  I think the historically recent warmth is even more pronounced in the winter months.

That's exactly the kind of thing I would typically say. And I agree.

But I looked a little closer this morning and I'm not sure we start the month so much below normal. Daily averages are getting pretty cold now. And nighttime lows are critical to getting big negative departures. A cutter or a few cloudy nights can spoil an otherwise cold airmass. And beyond that, there's no denying that we're in a long term warming trend, so any given month is more likely to be above normal than below (all else being equal). I think the historically recent warmth is even more pronounced in the winter months.

I think the first ten days of the month look below normal. Then after that who knows.

January is actually a bad month to use for the background warming trend because it hasn't warmed going back over 100 years. The bookend months of winter are the ones that have warmed. Also, we have 30 year moving averages every ten years so the long term warming trend is muted by that.

In short, I'd hedge colder for January given the information we have.

While the 29/30th event is dead amongst the major models, a clipper type system and redevelopment stages are starting to reappear on the hour 120 scale of the EURO/GGEM and ensembles.  Something to pay attention to with regards to the 1st and 2nd of January.

What am I missing here? I see no such clipper today....

What about the changing height field is so up in the air all of a sudden? It's basically a complete reversal of December up in Alaska.

Sure the first 10 days or so could be AOB normal temp wise but whether or not that locks in or is transient is indeed "up in the air".

What am I missing here? I see no such clipper today....

Look at the MSLP for hour 120, shows low redevelopment south of Nova Scotia, Canada, so does the GGEM today.  I'm saying just watch it for the next day and a half, if nothing changes then don't worry about it being anything, but if it does change for something better than we can all be happy.  All I am saying is watch this system, watch the trends the following 1.5 days.

Look at the MSLP for hour 120, shows low redevelopment south of Nova Scotia, Canada, so does the GGEM today.  I'm saying just watch it for the next day and a half, if nothing changes then don't worry about it being anything, but if it does change for something better than we can all be happy.  All I am saying is watch this system, watch the trends the following 1.5 days.

I stopped chasing rainbows about 60 years ago. There's nothing there IMHO.

I coined the phrase "correction vector" some years ago ... heh.  True though.  If you're in an era where less is most likely, you assume a muted conclusion should transpire over whatever ferkokta wayward model is trying to sell. 

Same goes true the other direction, too.  So for now are c-vector is toward less.   

But like anything ... they are just vectors. Not absolute.. The act as hindering or gathering strength, but don't mean yes or no.  

Sure the first 10 days or so could be AOB normal temp wise but whether or not that locks in or is transient is indeed "up in the air".

So now we're tossing a third of the month because it may not lock in through St. Patrick's Day.

It really is pointless to come in here and discuss anything.

Archived