joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the issue is it's harder at the time to take a poor start to a snow season than it is a poor finish. If later Feb and March suck, you just look forward to spring and the whole seasons changing, baseball, sun, etc.

But in December, you've got heavy heavy anticipation that has been building since those first weak Niño seasonal outlooks in August. All fall you are gearing up for it. Looking forward to the tracking, watching radar and seeing the snow falling outside, the winning model runs, etc. You think ok, I just need to get to December and this awesome weak Niño season where everyone is forecasting big above normal snows will get started.

Then you get there and December blows chunks for your location. So anticipation+ turns to disappointment+. I can see why some have the angst in that regard.

I'd rather a cold/snowy December over February any day. In December, looking forward to the Holiday season, is when I want some snow. February, give me an early Spring. Just my personal preference. So I can see why people would be disappointed with a lame December.

I'd rather a cold/snowy December over February any day. In December, looking forward to the Holiday season, is when I want some snow. February, give me an early Spring. Just my personal preference. So I can see why people would be disappointed with a lame December.

If it were cold and snowy 12 months a year I would not complain. I wouldn't mind not seeing grass ever again if it meant it was buried in snow.

I could be completely off-base (I probably am) but a dead ratter that's coming up on my radar is 1979-80.post-532-0-40785700-1419736406_thumb.png

This chart shows the tri-monthly ONI values and although OND and NDJ are not yet out for this year, I couldn't help but notice the similarity to 1979 with the SON ONI value being identical to 2014. I am no expert and maybe it's meaningless...I will let someone else comment on that.

post-532-0-00067700-1419736843_thumb.png

post-532-0-27108200-1419736536_thumb.png

These two figures show a similar temperature anomaly distribution for December 1979 and for the past two weeks of December 2014 (I charted the last 14 days instead of the last 30 because it seemed like the below normal temperatures from the end of November were skewing the anomalies). Again, not sure if this means much, but I found it interesting.

Archived