joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 19-21 Storm Thread

Deck Pic

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to break it to you, but yeah, they hyped it when they talked up the chance of a snowstorm when it was still 6 days away.

Kinda surprising if thats the case...not good odds when there is nothing more than marginal cold showing up in the models till after Xmas, and the Euro was mostly on its own with its "locked in" more wrapped up coastal solution 5-6 days out. 

We are still a long way out on this. Probably foolish to declare anything.

It really is, but the feel isn't right with this one.  I was hopped up on it for a while, but man...I dunno.   It's early yet and it's silly to throw in the towel on a Tuesday night for a Saturday night storm...we've seen things come back big time in less time

Oh, didn't realize it was set in stone that the storm wasn't happening. Cool, thanks!

I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying it was irresponsible to be so bullish about it 6 days out, with a big headline saying Winter storm possible next weekend for Mid-Atlantic, when the chance of it realistically happening was very small, especially with a Naso good setup

Hate to break it to you, but yeah, they hyped it when they talked up the chance of a snowstorm when it was still 6 days away.

it was a bit surprisingly bullish imo.. a number of usually bearish people were bullish though.

but i swear the euro does that crap all the time.. people just forget or ignore it.

I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying it was irresponsible to be so bullish about it 6 days out, with a big headline saying Winter storm possible next weekend for Mid-Atlantic, when the chance of it realistically happening was very small, especially with a Naso good setup

This stuff really belongs in the banter thread, but I have to say: for one thing it's not like it was put on the front page or anything. It's intended audience was more weather geeks, then people looking for a forecast. That's why the article was written with ambiguity as to the outcome. I think they also found it important to alert people that they should keep an eye on the forecast, especially with more travel than usual in that period.

it was a bit surprisingly bullish imo.. a number of usually bearish people were bullish though.

but i swear the euro does that crap all the time.. people just forget or ignore it.

I didn't believe you on Sunday when you kept referencing the fantasy Euro snow. I know I've seen it before but it just pulled me right back in...I'm so foolish. ;)

It really is, but the feel isn't right with this one.  I was hopped up on it for a while, but man...I dunno.   It's early yet and it's silly to throw in the towel on a Tuesday night for a Saturday night storm...we've seen things come back big time in less time

last year we had a few that looked dead and came back near the end if memory serves, so I'm not throwing in the towel on this, but I do believe the wound up system is probably not going to happen

It really is, but the feel isn't right with this one. I was hopped up on it for a while, but man...I dunno. It's early yet and it's silly to throw in the towel on a Tuesday night for a Saturday night storm...we've seen things come back big time in less time

The part that never felt right was the fact that it was one model vs the rest. But, like you said, silly to give up yet. There were a couple of ens members that looked good, especially P003 (though I'm not sure I can post that ;) ). I'm not sure where the key player in whether this is flat vs amped is. You have to think it's far enough away that it's final form is in doubt, whatever that piece is.

last year we had a few that looked dead and came back near the end if memory serves, so I'm not throwing in the towel on this, but I do believe the wound up system is probably not going to happen

I want to be optimistic but I don't remember a Euro give away ever coming back. Perhaps there is one, idk

I want to be optimistic but I don't remember a Euro give away ever coming back. Perhaps there is one, idk

A come back in some fashion is totally reasonable at this lead still. I could see a .3 - .5 qpf event still being on the table. It's a miller A and we've had no qpf problems lately for the most part. If things look bleak at 72 hours then things are bleak. It's not really a short lead reverse bust kind of setup.

there was one storm in particular that I'm thinking about that was first proged to hit us, then proged north

I specifically remember saying "once they are proged north, they never come back south"

sure enough it did

I'm sure Matt would remember which one I'm talking about

A come back in some fashion is totally reasonable at this lead still. I could see a .3 - .5 qpf event still being on the table. It's a miller A and we've had no qpf problems lately for the most part. If things look bleak at 72 hours then things are bleak. It's not really a short lead reverse bust kind of setup.

True. A 0.5 event with cooperating temps is a sig event...everywhere. Time will tell.

that's the best case in my mind now too

Glad you said it. I saw it and wanted to post but didn't feel it was worthy. Someone would say it's the NAM

The NAM is too flat for what you want at this range, the NAM is a very amped/west/north model at 84 hours, its not really THAT amped...if you wanted to see a snow event you'd almost want to see the NAM right now on the verge of giving you rain.

The NAM is too flat for what you want at this range, the NAM is a very amped/west/north model at 84 hours, its not really THAT amped...if you wanted to see a snow event you'd almost want to see the NAM right now on the verge of giving you rain.

Appreciate the insight. Just grabbing for straws at this point

trust me, down here when the NAM calls for rain vs. snow at any range, we get the rain   :(

Yep, h5 is pretty unimpressive for the nam. The euro's treble hook in the lips runs had the vort cranking and closing off. That's off the table obviously.

Consensus now shows the vort flattening at it moves east of the ms river. Our last grasp is a piece from the northern stream modestly energizing it or simply being more amped up when slp gets going down by the gulf so the storm has a little more oomph as it starts heading ne.

Archived