joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve storm obs and nowcasting

Ian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What app would you recommend for someone that's trying to get rain snow line on a mobile phone? I'm driving tomorrow and would like to keep tabs on the rain snowline. I have Weather Underground but is that the best one to use? Sorry for the off topic

Sent from my iPhone

I honestly like The Weather Channel's radar for precip types.

What app would you recommend for someone that's trying to get rain snow line on a mobile phone? I'm driving tomorrow and would like to keep tabs on the rain snowline. I have Weather Underground but is that the best one to use? Sorry for the off topic

Sent from my iPhone

Radarscope but it is 10 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone

Intelicast from WSI is good for P-typeing. Of course, Radarscope is the only radar app you'll ever need, but it's a $10 one time purchase.

49F now, but for some reason the DP went up to 40F. Pretty much every night after sunset the DP goes up. Can someone tell me why that is?

I would say it's more of a coincidence considering conditions. As far as tonight goes, with the Low approaching the area your local temperature and dewpoint will approach an equilibrium value when the atmosphere becomes fully saturated. (Dewpoints will rise while temperatures tend to fall)

Light S/E winds in some of the obs there..probably bay-induced..

Eventually one would expect that trend to happen for everyone, but maybe that bay effect you are referring to would imply the coastal areas to see the dp rise first?

49F now, but for some reason the DP went up to 40F. Pretty much every night after sunset the DP goes up. Can someone tell me why that is?

I'm no expert but isn't dew point a function of temperature and relative humidity?  Cooler air doesn't hold as much water so at sunset, when there is a sudden drop in temperature, wouldn't that cause dew points to rise?

I don't think it's a coincidence.  I think it's science.  But again, I'm no expert.

I'm no expert but isn't dew point a function of temperature and relative humidity?  Cooler air doesn't hold as much water so at sunset, when there is a sudden drop in temperature, wouldn't that cause dew points to rise?

I don't think it's a coincidence.  I think it's science.  But again, I'm no expert.

Good points, though I don't see why the temperature and dewpoint can't drop simultaneously at sunset under clear skies.

I'm no expert but isn't dew point a function of temperature and relative humidity? Cooler air doesn't hold as much water so at sunset, when there is a sudden drop in temperature, wouldn't that cause dew points to rise?

I don't think it's a coincidence. I think it's science. But again, I'm no expert.

No. The dewpoint is roughly analogous to specific humidity..when temps cool, the dewpoint drops, from a macroscale standpoint. The spikes in the evening dewpoint are due to reduced mixing as we lose insolation, hence less dry air is advected from aloft.

No. The dewpoint is roughly analogous to specific humidity..when temps cool, the dewpoint drops on the macroscale. The spikes in the evening dewpoint are due to reduced mixing after the loss of insolation..hence less dry air advected from aloft..

Ah, thank you.  I'll have to re-read fifty times and hit wikipedia, but thanks. :)

Archived