joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible NYC snow Wed Night or Thursday

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Maue`s algo. Uses soundings at a10 to 1 ratio . When you get into marginal BL and 850`s you have to take them lightly .

exactly plus some areas especially at the beginning of any snow falling and closer to the coast will have less then 10:1 ratio - further west you are the higher the ratio

This movie isn't for you.

Lets all root for a further east track :snowwindow:

That screws others. Why not just concede this one and hope for better luck next time?

Most people (if they are honest and forthright), including myself, could care less about how much snow falls in someone else's backyard. What's important is how much falls in one's own backyard.

jesus christ.

It's childish and makes this forum unreadable.

Analyze the system and the models.

This isn't pre-kindergarten.

wouldn't you consider acknowledging those childish and biased posts with more banter and childish posts kind of hypocritical tho?

I think both crews are selfish as they should be, everyone wants a setup that gives them the most snow, no matter how much you "claim" to want everyone to see snow, in defense of the "North and west" crew, it usually tends to be the case when the R/S line is somewhere between the city and rockland, we tend to get impacted with better bands, and when the R/S line is too far south we often see several hours of Virga and more band breaking due to the mountains. I think everyone needs to stop taking posts so serious.

At 102 its 35 and Minus 1 at 850 ( And I would not hang my hat on the surface rising on a NE wind ) with a center from OBX to CC deepening 15 mb in 12 hours . Again its marginal but not " WELL ABOVE FREEZING "  To be fair the warm punch is at 700 MB . Not the surface . So my disagreement may be in the language and not the end result . \

Especially from the city E.

thanks, certainly is odd .  on there facebook page they did say they are going to put out a potential snow accum map

Upton favors a near BM track.......for now

UNTIL ALL THE KEY PLAYERS...INCLUDING ENERGY STILL OUT OVER THE
PACIFIC ARE RESOLVED...THE EXACT NATURE OF INTERACTION BETWEEN A
NORTHERN STREAM CLIPPER AND A POSITIVELY TILTED TROUGH OVER THE E
CENTRAL PORTION OF THE COUNTRY BY MIDWEEK IS STILL UNCERTAIN - SO
THE FORECAST WILL LIKELY CHANGE TO SOME DEGREE. FOR NOW THOUGH THE
FOLLOWING IS WHAT APPEARS MOST LIKELY - THAT A FAIRLY DECENT...BUT
NOT OVERLY STRONG LOW SHOULD TRACK JUST EAST OF THE 40N/70W
BENCHMARK WEDNESDAY EVENING.

The preset pattern looks like a favorable set-up for interior Northeast snow and mostly / all rain for the coastal corridor. If we examine the previous two late November snow events for our area, namely late November of 1995 and late November of 1989, we see that the 500mb pattern reveals fairly stout negative NAO's in both cases, with some semblance of Greenland blocking. Even more importantly, said north Atlantic blocking allows for the development of a 50/50 or pseudo 50/50 in SE Canada, sufficient to maintain the cold air source over the Northeast. That particular 500mb orientation is not present in the upcoming case. We have a broad trough with no block in SE Canada and very positive heights over Greenland. The historic pattern dictates an all or mostly rain event for the coast, and snow inland. At this point my best guess would include a changeover to potentially trace to 1" amounts for the coast, but I would lean toward the predominate precip type being rain at this juncture.

Late November of 1989. Notice the strong mid level ridging over Greenland.

16gxvh5.gif

Late November of 1995. Ridging was evident over Greenland, a negative NAO, though the major factor being a pseudo blocking vortex in  SE Canada.

etumoj.gif

The progged pattern as per the ECMWF is quite dissimilar to the above conducive cases for coastal significant snowfall.

oiga4o.png

lol.. The problem is you are looking at the model 4 days out. Ignore it till Tuesday.

Lol you guys are too much. I an not look at the nam for its solution. I am just looking at it with regards to how it is handling the phasing of the vortmax on the back side of the trough. Is this a likely solution? doesn't matter. I want to see the progression here. It was just a comment on model handling, that is all, now back to your regularly scheduled program......

The preset pattern looks like a favorable set-up for interior Northeast snow and mostly / all rain for the coastal corridor. If we examine the previous two late November snow events for our area, namely late November of 1995 and late November of 1989, we see that the 500mb pattern reveals fairly stout negative NAO's in both cases, with some semblance of Greenland blocking. Even more importantly, said north Atlantic blocking allows for the development of a 50/50 or pseudo 50/50 in SE Canada, sufficient to maintain the cold air source over the Northeast. That particular 500mb orientation is not present in the upcoming case. We have a broad trough with no block in SE Canada and very positive heights over Greenland. The historic pattern dictates an all or mostly rain event for the coast, and snow inland. At this point my best guess would include a changeover to potentially trace to 1" amounts for the coast, but I would lean toward the predominate precip type being rain at this juncture.

Late November of 1989. Notice the strong mid level ridging over Greenland.

16gxvh5.gif

Late November of 1995. Ridging was evident over Greenland, a negative NAO, though the major factor being a pseudo blocking vortex in SE Canada.

etumoj.gif

The progged pattern as per the ECMWF is quite dissimilar to the above conducive cases for coastal significant snowfall.

oiga4o.png

If KNYC or EWR are in ur forecast I will respectfully disagree.

I think there's at least 3 inches there and a hope for 6.

If you mean the following then I am 100 perc with you.

I think the NJ shore to the N/S boarder are done but I think once to the Hudson those 850s are minus 2 and 33 at the BL

3 plus happen there

I see the warm punch at hour 108 so there's def a change .

I don't need blocking at KNYC with that deep center from OBX TO CC to hang on to some snow .

Yes the show is N of 80 and W of 287 but I think the city w of JFK accumulates and then the gradient is steep.

The coast still has a chance but I just don't know, the Euro has LGA about 36/28 when the precip commences, if we can keep a NE surface wind in place there is a chance, the current track reminds me a bit of 1/22/87 in that it looks like the coast may be very wet when you look at the track alone but drill in deeper and it looks better for snow.

The coast still has a chance but I just don't know, the Euro has LGA about 36/28 when the precip commences, if we can keep a NE surface wind in place there is a chance, the current track reminds me a bit of 1/22/87 in that it looks like the coast may be very wet when you look at the track alone but drill in deeper and it looks better for snow.

LGA at 90 I see 34 and  850 s Minus 3 .03  700 Minus 3   NE

LGA at 96 I see  34 and 850 s  Minus 2  .05  700 plus 2  NNE 

Close .

I know where i am im expecting ZERO accumulations. Being on the south shore in SW suffolk these coastal huggers i torch. I have zero issues though since snow to rain sucks anyway

This winter with the way it looks in the long range looks promising so its hard to be dissapointed living on the coast in november and missing a snowstorm

Not sure what all the banter and arguing is about (especially from those that are knowledgeable discounting the potential for others to receive snow). There still seems to be a chance for areas even around NYC to get significant snow. While it is much more likely as you head into NW NJ and the interior, no option is off the table at this point. Clearly the model guidance has not converged yet.

Archived