a large accumulation only two years after the November 2012 snow. That

one was a classic BM track which would be needed this time for the coast

to share in the wealth.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormEvents/storm11072012.html

http://weather.unisys.com/archive/eta_init/1211/12110712.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If KNYC or EWR are in ur forecast I will respectfully disagree.

I think there's at least 3 inches there and a hope for 6.

If you mean the following then I am 100 perc with you.

I think the NJ shore to the N/S boarder are done but I think once to the Hudson those 850s are minus 2 and 33 at the BL

3 plus happen there

I see the warm punch at hour 108 so there's def a change .

I don't need blocking at KNYC with that deep center from OBX TO CC to hang on to some snow .

Yes the show is N of 80 and W of 287 but I think the city w of JFK accumulates and then the gradient is steep.

I'll disagree for now, as I think it will be difficult to achieve more than T-1" in Central Park with this set-up, but we'll see.

Not sure what all the 'crushing" snowfall talk is about.. it's a 3-5 n/w of 95 on the GFS... with an inch or two by the coast.. no doubt MAJOR impacts given the timing but not have to go to SNE and NE before this is a 6+ type event per the GFS

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2014112312&time=PER&var=ASNOWI&hour=093

Not sure what all the 'crushing" snowfall talk is about.. it's a 3-5 n/w of 95 on the GFS... with an inch or two by the coast.. no doubt MAJOR impacts given the timing but not have to go to SNE and NE before this is a 6+ type event per the GFS

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2014112312&time=PER&var=ASNOWI&hour=093

Yes, based off the snow maps but it's 33 and snow for NYC.

The gfs is a heavy wet 6-10" snowfall near and nw of 287

IMO "crushing" snowfall is 12"+, 6" is signifigant but no means crushing

12z GFS about as good as we can get....significant snowstorm on tap for entire CWA (save maybe LI) per this GFS run...

yeh 700 minus 1  850s minus 2 BL 33  1.5 inches of liquid . Love it - only issue for me is SE bias .

If we had this 24 hours out- winter storm warnings would be up .

the gfs looks to have the exact same track as 06z though slightly stronger and maybe a hair colder

It is around this time that people start using psychological methods and calling for no snow when in reality they think it's very possible that they do get snow but don't want to set themselves up for disappointment. A few inches or even more seems very possible for NYC and nearby suburbs, NOT just the interior ! (Though I guess I just jinxed myself)

yeh 700 minus 1  850s minus 2 BL 33  1.5 inches of liquid . Love it - only issue for me is SE bias .

If we had this 24 hours out- winter storm warnings would be up .

The key will be if the Euro continues with the MTP 72W track for a few more runs or jogs a little more

east toward the BM.

I realize people are pyshcing themselves out in  order to prevent heart break but the trend is clearly for a snowier scenario based on both GFS / Euro. Certainly dont expect a foot but our chances at 3 inches have increased markedly in the past 24 hours & lets wait & see what Euro has to say in a bit.

IMO suffolk/nassua border east, unless this suddenly takes a BM track the Predominant precip will be rain, maybe some snow in the beginning. Coastal hugger will bring more of an E not NE fetch.

It looked like the 12z Global had the surface low move from about Hatteras to at least 100 miles SE of Montauk...so why would the wind shift into the east?  Generally that track, be it with a rain storm or snow storm, will still produce a NE wind for the bulk of the event.

What is nice about this storm is that regardless of whether NYC stays all or mostly snow, (which I admit is unlikely) whatever falls will stay around for a couple days at least. The storm is followed by a very cold airmass for thanksgiving. Better than the storms that dump snow, turn to rain, then melt right away. I'd take a powerful storm that gives us 2-4" of snow ending cold, over 6-12" that ends as rain and is down to 3-4" that night

Just looked at soundings near NYC and this is an all snow event for them, nothing from 850-925 ever really gets close and its 37/27 at the time the snow arrives with a 030-040 wind which ultimately backs...ignore snow maps, this run as it is would be all snow, I did not look at Islip but I'm not sure they'd be much different.

Just looked at soundings near NYC and this is an all snow event for them, nothing from 850-925 ever really gets close and its 37/27 at the time the snow arrives with a 030-040 wind which ultimately backs...ignore snow maps, this run as it is would be all snow, I did not look at Islip but I'm not sure they'd be much different.

84 hour sounding for the 12z GFS at Central Park:

Definitely a snow signature there.

It looked like the 12z Global had the surface low move from about Hatteras to at least 100 miles SE of Montauk...so why would the wind shift into the east?  Generally that track, be it with a rain storm or snow storm, will still produce a NE wind for the bulk of the event.

Even that December, 2000 storm...which brought huge snows to northern New Jersey...still brought the 10 inch isopleth as far east as central Long Island...despite the actual center of low pressure moving over the Westhampton Beach area en route to eastern New England.  Granted there was a good deal more cold air to work with...but the principle is the same.

If the low takes a favorable track and dynamics are strong enough, it should snow right down to the coast. The early November 2012 storm had somie of its heaviest totals not far from the shore, and that was 2-3 weeks earlier than this will be, in a very marginal airmass.

Agreed... The storm is trending stronger and will have good dynamic cooling

...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

FCST REMAINS QUITE UNCERTAIN OVER THE MID ATLC/NORTHEAST WED INTO
THU BUT THE MOST LIKELY SCENARIO AT THIS TIME IS TOWARD SOME
DEGREE OF MEANINGFUL PCPN.
DEPENDING ON EXACT TRACK THERE SHOULD
BE A BAND OF RAIN AND/OR SNOW WITH ABOVE FREEZING SFC TEMPS CLOSER
TO THE COAST AND SNOW/BELOW FREEZING SFC TEMPS FARTHER INLAND.
EXPECT PERIODS OF SNOW OVER THE GRTLKS REGION IN ASSOC WITH THE
SYSTEM TRACKING INTO THE REGION EARLY IN THE PERIOD AND LAKE
EFFECT ACTIVITY DURING PERIODS OF COLD CYCLONIC FLOW. AS WITH
SOME ASPECTS OF THE FCST OVER THE EAST... CONFIDENCE IS NOT
ESPECIALLY HIGH WITH WRN DETAILS EITHER. HOWEVER FOR THE 5-DAY
PERIOD AS A WHOLE THERE ARE DECENT SIGNALS TOWARD ENHANCED PCPN
POTENTIAL OVER FAVORED TERRAIN FROM THE CNTRL-NRN WEST COAST INTO
THE NRN ROCKIES. FOR TEMPS... CNTRL-SRN PARTS OF THE WEST MAY SEE
SOME PLUS 10-20F ANOMALIES FOR HIGHS WED-FRI BEFORE HGT FALLS
ALOFT BRING A MODERATING TREND. FARTHER EWD THE NRN TIER SHOULD
BE MOST CONSISTENTLY BELOW NORMAL WITH MULTIPLE DAYS OF SIMILARLY
NEGATIVE ANOMALIES FROM THE NRN TIER INTO UPR GRTLKS. THE ERN