Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible NYC snow Wed Night or Thursday

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pro mets on Twitter as of this morning are saying it looks like snow inland, rain at the coast that may change to snow Wed night. Seem to be concerned about a warm layer aloft. Still too early to determine the details.

Thats my guess, the furnaced atlantic and the LP being tucked in will warm all layers East of NYC and LI will be predominantely rain. If this can shift to like 72W like chris said it would be ideal, lets hope the clipper can punt this further east or LI is all liquid while inland gets 6"+

Not if your opinion involves reading model output incorrectly and spreading misinformation in the forum.

949e15ef21a070d6aa986879180a469b.jpg
As we all have said including yourself Tony, models are just guidance, not forecasts. Furthermore, the colors blue and green on a map of an event more than a few days away are even less significant. Best bet is to take the GFS and any other model for the general idea that it shows at this point. Pinpointing the city of Islip as close to where the rain/snow line will be is going a bit too far.

Overall, I think has major potential. In regards to the model's support for it, some have the city/coast borderline and a bit too warm to stay all snow (GFS/EURO) while others have it actually missing us to the east (PARA GFS/NAM). In general, if it does come in THAT close to the coast, we are going to have mixing or rain, maybe a change back to snow. It is part of the reason why we only average 25-30" of snow near NYC. Bluewave, what you mentioned about the clipper is a good point and will be interesting to watch. If timed perfectly, it seems it could keep it from coming further W, or keep it from coming W enough. Taking the middle ground between models at this point would still give us some snow, so all in all you've got to like how we look at this point a few days out

Upton

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

THE ECMWF TAKEN BY ITSELF WOULD SUGGEST THE POSSIBILITY OF WARNING
LEVEL SNOWS TO THE W/N OF NYC...WHILE THE GFS SOLUTION SUGGESTS
THE POSSIBILITY OF WARNING LEVEL SNOWS FARTHER EAST. GIVEN
THIS...THERE IS A 30 PERCENT CONFIDENCE OF REACHING WARNING LEVEL
SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE CWA...SO WILL REFLECT THIS IN THE
HWO. FORTUNATELY IT LOOKS LIKE MOST...IF NOT ALL...ACCUMULATING
SNOW WILL OCCUR MAINLY WEDNESDAY NIGHT SO THE IMPACT ON THE BULK
OF PRE-THANKSGIVING TRAVEL SHOULD BE MINIMIZED

Mt Holly

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

WHAT COULD BE THE BIGGER ISSUE IS IF OR HOW LONG THE PRECIP LINGERS
THROUGH THE NIGHT TIME HOURS WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE GFS HAS PRECIP
RAPIDLY MOVING OUT BY MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WITH THIS
SOLUTION, WHILE MUCH OF THE REGION COULD SEE A PERIOD OF ALL SNOW
AFTER SUNSET, THE WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW
WOULD BE BRIEF. THE ECMWF ON THE OTHER HAND, LINGERS PRECIP IN THE
REGION THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING, BUT KEEPS THE EASTERN HALF THE
REGION ABOVE FREEZING THROUGH THE NIGHT. ALL THAT TO SAY THAT
WHILE PRECIPITATION LOOKS VERY LIKELY IN THE WEDNESDAY TO
WEDNESDAY NIGHT PERIOD, THE CHANCE FOR SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATING
SNOW FOR MOST OF THE REGION IS QUITE SMALL.

Thanks to BenchmarkTS for the heads up  ;)

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/ens/prec_f096_usbg.gif

Agree bluewave. The best bet for the coast is to have the storm bomb over the bm just like the Euro mean.

Yeah, that ensemble track would make many people very happy. Just not sure if the smoothed out

mean is missing the amplitude of the OP pumping the ridge to east with more tucked in solution.

We'll have to wait for later runs to know.

Thats my guess, the furnaced atlantic and the LP being tucked in will warm all layers East of NYC and LI will be predominantely rain. If this can shift to like 72W like chris said it would be ideal, lets hope the clipper can punt this further east or LI is all liquid while inland gets 6"+

I think you meant to say 70W. 72W would be getting close to going over my head. Personally, I think we see a good amount of rain. Which is ok, just keep the storms coming right through winter

Upton

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

THE ECMWF TAKEN BY ITSELF WOULD SUGGEST THE POSSIBILITY OF WARNING

LEVEL SNOWS TO THE W/N OF NYC...WHILE THE GFS SOLUTION SUGGESTS

THE POSSIBILITY OF WARNING LEVEL SNOWS FARTHER EAST. GIVEN

THIS...THERE IS A 30 PERCENT CONFIDENCE OF REACHING WARNING LEVEL

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE CWA...SO WILL REFLECT THIS IN THE

HWO. FORTUNATELY IT LOOKS LIKE MOST...IF NOT ALL...ACCUMULATING

SNOW WILL OCCUR MAINLY WEDNESDAY NIGHT SO THE IMPACT ON THE BULK

OF PRE-THANKSGIVING TRAVEL SHOULD BE MINIMIZED

Mt Holly

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

WHAT COULD BE THE BIGGER ISSUE IS IF OR HOW LONG THE PRECIP LINGERS

THROUGH THE NIGHT TIME HOURS WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE GFS HAS PRECIP

RAPIDLY MOVING OUT BY MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WITH THIS

SOLUTION, WHILE MUCH OF THE REGION COULD SEE A PERIOD OF ALL SNOW

AFTER SUNSET, THE WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW

WOULD BE BRIEF. THE ECMWF ON THE OTHER HAND, LINGERS PRECIP IN THE

REGION THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING, BUT KEEPS THE EASTERN HALF THE

REGION ABOVE FREEZING THROUGH THE NIGHT. ALL THAT TO SAY THAT

WHILE PRECIPITATION LOOKS VERY LIKELY IN THE WEDNESDAY TO

WEDNESDAY NIGHT PERIOD, THE CHANCE FOR SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATING

SNOW FOR MOST OF THE REGION IS QUITE SMALL.

Thanks to BenchmarkTS for the heads up ;)

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/ens/prec_f096_usbg.gif

prec_f096_usbg.gif

No sweat dm. Good to see an old mate.

6z GEFS continuing to shift west

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSPRSNE_6z/ensprsloopmref.html

I think you meant to say 70W. 72W would be getting close to going over my head. Personally, I think we see a good amount of rain. Which is ok, just keep the storms coming right through winter

Seeing coastals now is a great thing for the winter.

Im sorry it was an 8am just got work and my ass is still tired typo :lol:

No excuses. This is showtime with the storm coming. :pimp:

All guidance now looks prime for a winter storm away from immediate coast, long island, and possibly city itself...once west of 95 looks good

0Z Euro guidance doesn`t suggest Rain in NYC . To the contrary . Yesterday 12z ensembles served up 7 of it`s 51 members as the center delivering rain to the city the 0Z run is down to 5 .( so that trended right for the city )  Yesterday BL at 12z at  108 KNYC was 34 this morning at 96 its 33

It`s 850`s remain at Minus 2 .

Nassau Suffolk Border at 12z yesterday it was plus 3 . at 0z for the first half before the warm punch its 0

JFK  850`s at 12 z YESTERDAY was plus 2 at 0z it gets to 0 .

It does seem like a near BM track looks favored right now, which is not unusual since many coastals often follow that same path.

Too bad the airmass ahead of it isn't a bit colder then we wouldn't have as many temperature issues but it is November after all. I'll guess the city may pick up at least an inch of slop and it gradually increases the further inland you go.

And don`t make me post the Euro control snow map . It will cause a riot ( in a good way )  it was even better than yesterdays 12z run  . I do however fear that this could tug a hair west .( just what these storms like to do ) . That said the Euro ensemble cluster is at the BM . Lets hope that looks like that at 3pm with it`s ensemble package .

I will be interested to look at the individual members as sometimes the mean is just smoothed out .

We always seem to be playing with fire from the Hudson on east , but that`s the norm for the region on the coastal plain .

9z SREF just went way west lol. 3z SREF precip valid 1:00am-1:00pm on the 26th had the 0.25" line from Salisbury-Rehobeth Beach-Cape May offshore to Martha's Vinyard. While 9z SREF has that same line from IAD to BWI to Wilmington to Mantauk. What that means is the storm has also slowed down a lot. By 7:00pm, the mean in whole has everyone east of I-95 above 0.50"

Archived