• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible NYC snow Wed Night or Thursday

Mitchel Volk

I am visiting in CT for the Holidays.  This looks like a pretty tricky setup. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 150 mile shift either way.  B Heavy snow axis is probably NW NJ to Berkshires to MT Washington on this run. 850 Temperature gradient gets sharper the further north you go so I'd expect it to be heaviest stuff in NNE.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't the progressive pattern and lack of blocking actually favor a further east track then?

yes and you want to avoid any fetch off the warm atlantic - need to keep the winds coming in from the N-NE - if this thing is tilted back into the coast more of a chance of warm enough late november water temps spoiling the party.........last time we had a thanksgiving eve - thanksgiving day snowstorm near the metro was 1989 I believe - I was down in Ocean County and we got 7 inches

Shouldn't the progressive pattern and lack of blocking actually favor a further east track then?

Exactly where the center decides to ride the baroclinic zone will be a result of exactly where Tues`s cold front stops and sets up . The models will need a few days to figure out 50 mile solution either direction .

4 days out is something that will be solved as we get closer .( Its is possible the Euro is over amped ) . Its 1 op run  The fact that there is no blocking helps this chug along , that's about it .

This is about track and intensity especially for coastal locales . That will determine who gets what and how much .

You probably won't see a track much further west than the current Euro has.  Anyone focusing on Euro surface temps, don't...they are always too warm...I don't think verbatim there is much snow with this for the coast, even front end...in January this may be a big snow initially for everyone but we need a track east of the 12Z euro for the coast.

Would be first Skype T-DAY if anything close to that verifies.

Yeh. DC to Boston you wreck travel through the weekend

It really is a worse case scenario for those who want to get home and have to travel that day.

Think if tomorrw 12z run looks like this The word gets out so plans get changed in time.

Yeh. DC to Boston you wreck travel through the weekend

It really is a worse case scenario for those who want to get home and have to travel that day.

Think if tomorrw 12z run looks like this The word gets out so plans get changed in time.

Yeah, the ensemble track with OP strengthening would be ideal.

Best case scenario has the storm move rapidly from Hatteras to the Cape; I'm talking a forward speed in excess of 35 kts...thus limiting the potential for warm ocean air to work its way into the circulation...a slow mover would almost certainly see a changeover well into the interior...there was a November storm a few years back off the New England coast...began as snow over much of upstate NY...but it sat out over the waters east of the Cape for such an extended period that the circulation became contaminated with warm maritime air; eventually rain worked in as far west as the lower elevations of western NY state; including Buffalo..

Not if the PV feature near James Bay/Ontario phases in...that comes right out of the North Pole so the storm can't rot but actually gains cold air as it develops. We really want the northern energy to become more involved, especially those who are further west. The low might track as far west as PVD, but NYC NW could still stay snow since it's the cold PV responsible for the tug inland.

You can see the GFS has more separation with the northern feature and thus the solution is further out to sea...the ECM has more of a northern stream phase so it's further inland. 

attachicon.gifgfsseparation.gif

And may be a case of 1 amped euro op run. I like the pattern . I think it produces . I hope it gets everyone. I think it does

Not if the PV feature near James Bay/Ontario phases in...that comes right out of the North Pole so the storm can't rot but actually gains cold air as it develops. We really want the northern energy to become more involved, especially those who are further west. The low might track as far west as PVD, but NYC NW could still stay snow since it's the cold PV responsible for the tug inland.

this type of storm, it's intensity and track would demolish DC to Boston with at least 8 inches. Maybe more. It would make it's own cold air cause it's a big storm! Those warm water would only fuel the storm to be stronger. I wouldn't be surprised if the storm settles in the benchmark area around 980 millibar storm. That's a quick hitting blizzard!

You can see the GFS has more separation with the northern feature and thus the solution is further out to sea...the ECM has more of a northern stream phase so it's further inland. 

attachicon.gifgfsseparation.gif

That's what the GFS was showing right up until the day of the February 2013 Blizzard since it was phasing too late.

But we probably need a few more runs to make sure the OP Euro isn't phasing too soon which it could be.

this type of storm, it's intensity and track would demolish DC to Boston with at least 8 inches. Maybe more. It would make it's own cold air cause it's a big storm! Those warm water would only fuel the storm to be stronger. I wouldn't be surprised if the storm settles in the benchmark area around 980 millibar storm. That's a quick hitting blizzard!

BOS is mostly rain on an ECM track...the low goes near PVD which is never good for BOS. Also, BOS is most vulnerable to east winds. 

I think NYC is in a much better position for this storm than eastern New England. Living in the northern suburbs with a little elevation, I'm rooting for a western track with more of a polar vortex phase.

You can see the 12z ECM really wants to dig the northern stream...the feature is up near Hudson Bay on the GFS but much further south into the CONUS on the EC at Day 4:

That's what the GFS was showing right up until the day of the February 2013 Blizzard since it was phasing too late.

But we probably need a few more runs to make sure the OP Euro isn't phasing too soon which it could be.

The GFS has been trending towards the 12Z ECM solution with its handling of the northern stream. There was a big difference between 6z and 12z with the development of the PV feature and how far south it gets...The lower heights from the PV extend much furrther south at 12z than 6z on the GFS.

6z still had the energy held back towards Hudson Bay:

12z has the energy much further south and closer to a partial phase:

The GFS has been trended towards the 12Z ECM solution with its handling of the northern stream. There was a big difference between 6z and 12z with the development of the PV feature and how far south it gets...The lower heights from the PV extend much furrther south at 12z than 6z on the GFS.

6z still had the energy held back towards Hudson Bay:

attachicon.gifgfs6zseparate.gif

12z has the energy much further south and closer to a partial phase:

attachicon.gifgfs12ztogether.gif

I always question day 4 and 5 euro ops when the blow up like that but that water is so warm off the EC I'm not sure if I don't buy the 15 mb deepening In 12 hours as per 12z euro OP.

I just think if you get the op bomb with the ensemble track .

You will light the lamp everywhere

Archived