• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

Heavy snow at 33 degrees in late November would pile up. The sun is totally wimpy after about 4:00 PM. Is 33 degrees in late November somehow different than in February? I would think it is even more conducive to snow in November...

Agree. If the column is cold and its just the boundary layer, and we get good rates, the sun angle is not an issue. Nor is a day or 2 in the 60s as far as the ground being too warm. Way overblown. See Denver. where its in the 50s and 60s for weeks sometimes prior to a snowstorm. The issue would be not getting good rates and or the surface temps stubbornly hanging around 35-36.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. If the column is cold and its just the boundary layer, and we get good rates, the sun angle is not an issue. Nor is a day or 2 in the 60s as far as the ground being too warm. Way overblown. See Denver. where its in the 50s and 60s for weeks sometimes prior to a snowstorm. The issue would be not getting good rates and or the surface temps stubbornly hanging around 35-36.

Very good point. I've seen Denver have highs in the mid 70's one day prior to a big snow event. If they can do it, we can do it (lol).

Temps will also be kinda warm the day before. What kind of an effect will that have?

NONE. If the entire column is cold and it snows hard it will stick, even if surface temps are slightly above freezing. As Phineas said,the sun angle in late Nov is wimpy, and the if the the snow falls at a rate faster than it can melt, it will accumulate. I would just worry about temps hanging in the mid 30s with crappy rates.

NONE. If the entire column s cold and it snows hard it will stick, even if temps are slightly above freezing. As Phineas said,the sun angle in late Nov is wimpy, and the if the the snow falls at a rate faster than it can melt, it will accumulate. I would just worry about temps hanging in the mid 30s with crappy rates.

Is "NONE" really the right answer? I think if you ask anyone in here they would prefer it to be 10 degrees the day before a snowstorm instead of 50.

Is "NONE" really the right answer? I think if you ask anyone in here they would prefer it to be 10 degrees the day before a snowstorm instead of 50.

Yes, it is the right answer.  It might make a difference for the streets, but it will make no difference for the grass. 

The 2 or 3 mild days prior warming the ground surface wont be what makes or breaks this event. Of course the lack of a cold air mass is a concern. But those are 2 different issues. The lack of cold in the lowest levels during the event is always a concern.

Most of the time when we get screwed in cases like this we have a nasty warm nose or it is only light precip for most of the storm. I guess I could get heavy downpours at 33 degrees with the entire rest of the column safely below freezing after sundown in late November.

Yeah and we could land an unmanned spacecraft on a comet...err

Archived