CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had 1 miller A last year. And the gfs didn't figure it out until it was on top of us. Euro and ens were pretty steady overall from d4 on in. And here we are... Euro is really good at miller A's. From tomorrow night on I don't expect many big jumps. Next couple op runs could mess with us.

Of course I want the gfs/gefs to look the same but it's an easy choice to pick between the 2 in this specific setup

We had 1 miller A last year. And the gfs didn't figure it out until it was on top of us. Euro and ens were pretty steady overall from d4 on in. And here we are... Euro is really good at miller A's. From tomorrow night on I don't expect many big jumps. Next couple op runs could mess with us.

Of course I want the gfs/gefs to look the same but it's an easy choice to pick between the 2 in this specific setup

I remember that one clearly. The GFS had the track right, but lacked any QPF whatsoever until the snow was actually falling. Quite irritating.

Was just mentioning this to someone earlier. I'm with you

No 50/50 low would definitely argue against a widespread 10+". However there is a strong ridge centered NE of Bermuda. This may mean an H5 low can close off in the southeast and flatten back into an open wave over New England like 1/25/2000.  However, I strongly doubt it given the lack of negative height Anomalies off the southeast coast this time. 

Best hope is for a 4-8" overrunning event, and I'll consider 3" an over performer given the iffy surface temps and the possible OTS track.

No 50/50 low would definitely argue against a widespread 10+". However there is a strong ridge centered NE of Bermuda. This may mean an H5 low can close off in the southeast and flatten back into an open wave over New England like 1/25/2000.  However, I strongly doubt it given the lack of negative height Anomalies off the southeast coast this time. 

Best hope is for a 4-8" overrunning event, and I'll consider 3" an over performer given the iffy surface temps and the possible OTS track.

man I'm glad that monkey is off my back with you mentioning that storm because I was thinking the same thing but feared reprisals

man I'm glad that monkey is off my back with you mentioning that storm because I was thinking the same thing but feared reprisals

So funny I used that storm earlier today with a friend when looking at the euro. Said that one run reminded me a little of that storm. Never would have put it in here though for fear if the angry towns folk with pitch forks.

Heavy snow at 33 degrees in late November would pile up. The sun is totally wimpy after about 4:00 PM. Is 33 degrees in late November somehow different than in February? I would think it is even more conducive to snow in November...

The sun angle on Wednesday is the same as on January 16th. The reason it doesn't usually snow in November is because our average highs are in the 50s and 60s (It is 54 in DC on Wednesday), and wavelengths are longer and the atmosphere is not as dynamic.  Given climo, buying into a dynamic phased solution with a low to our northwest is kind of hard....if it does snow and snow hard, places that are 33-34 will do fine, especially after dark.  We used to get some November snow here and there.  Maybe we are due.  We definitely have an advantage over 3/6/13 in terms of sun angle, boundary layer, and even overall cold air...there is some receding HP to our north/northeast and a weak CAD signature.....it might still be in the upper 30s in the morning...could be rain initially for the coastal plain and then change over

there's a link to the radar loop for that storm at this link:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20000125/

some similarities when comparing Euro precip at Wunderground and that loop

as much as we overuse it, it isn't the worst analog....other than it being January of course, biggest difference was 1/25/00 had an east based -NAO block...we will have a +NAO on Wednesday

there's a link to the radar loop for that storm at this link:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20000125/

some similarities when comparing Euro precip at Wunderground and that loop

Yeah the southern stream just doesn't close off over the Georgia coast this time. If we do get a closed low it will have to be much further west.

just gunna mention it since I know everyone has looked at it and won't comment....yes, the NAM went from being "on track" for a favorable inland solution at 18Z to jumping ship and keeping things off shore on the 0Z run

no further discussion needed on the NAM at this time

That's probably a good thing

Let's just hope there aren't any thunderstorms robbing the moisture

Archived