Newest Member
    amirah5
Thanksgiving Weekend Weather (Wed-Sun)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moreso than 6z?

What's your take on precip type tomorrow for your old stomping grounds along the shore? Soundings seem to support a sleet fest, but will the surface layer be shallow enough to keep it frozen, or you think it's more wet than anything?

I think initially it's a rain/snow mix... then to snow... and then to sleet. Also some concern about dry slotting down your way. It's borderline though - close to getting a decent bit of snow before the pingers. 

Coastal / Orh, on mobile at work... Comments on Boston soundings vs 0z

thanks much

Verbatim, BOS is mix to start, then snow, and then hi-res NAM mixes them with IP from like 22z-00z. At least what I saw. For some reason the NAM soundings on wright-weather looked colder. Either way, looks like they mix possibly after 21z.  I'll have to see how BUFKIT looks. North winds at the surface though.

I think initially it's a rain/snow mix... then to snow... and then to sleet. Also some concern about dry slotting down your way. It's borderline though - close to getting a decent bit of snow before the pingers.

I'll take your word for it. I'm mobile so haven't looked at the 12z soundings but I didn't think the 6z GFS or NAM supported much before a flip to sleet. but really I could care less about pingers if it means avoiding plain ol rain.

peeps gonna' be shocked when this goes quickly from flurries to a wall of white.

Roads will be a good time tomorrow...

UMass closed tomorrow.  Erring on the side of caution given that all the students were slated to go home for the holidays in the midst of it. 

The HeavyWx graph gave me pause... needles are the worst... but N of the pike and west of the ORH hills I do think we should have a good combination of QPF and just enough cold air aloft.  If the growth is lackluster we'll verify bottom end, but I'll take my chances with the setup.

Coastal / Orh, on mobile at work... Comments on Boston soundings vs 0z

thanks much

The low levels look colder. The 950mb temps are -2C at 18z and fall to -3C at 21z....it is just one run we have to remember, but this is a paste bomb for BOS on this run....though it does ping for a time by 21z to around 00z....but by that time, already a lot of snow has fallen.

edit: Scooter beat me to it

Low levels were cold for sure. Just a pesky warm layer aloft. Still, we'll probably see some funky stuff go on as the lift tries to fight off the warmth.

The warm layer isn't exactly thick either above 0C...omega could screw with that quite a bit and cause aggregate bombs instead of sleet for a time.

Archived