Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Thanksgiving Weekend Weather (Wed-Sun)

ORH_wxman

Re: 0z trends and what BOX saw:

I think we all observed and agreed that 0z RGEM and 21z SREFs (and 0z UK) did in fact tick east and colder for eastern SNE, 0z NAM was colder especially for eastern MA with more northern ageostrophic flow and heavy rates, and 0z GFS held. I don't think BOX or anyone here was incorrectly reading the 0z suite per what they wanted.

The 6z trend (NAM, GFS, 3z SREFs) is pretty undeniably a tick back west from the 0z suite.

As was stated, all little bumps within a tight cluster, but very big differences in outcome between 0z vs. 6z for eastern MA.

There was zero east shift though. If anything, some of the mid levels came west and hence warmer solutions aloft.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GYX map .... less robust than I was expecting/hoping

attachicon.gifStormTotalSnowFcst.png

You will see that change, I know its not Chris's map as he was on short term yesterday but i think its in his time frame today and modeled qpf is higher then those totals as they bumped up overnight, I'm going 9-12" here, We can always go higher if need be............ :)

This is gonna have a classic CF right at BOS or just SE. Evident on all hi-res models.

This could be a 1/8 SM +SN parachute bomb pretty close to to the water...even the still-westward Euro had the 35F isotherm right up to Logan airport....though with Euro solution, there would eventually be some pellets.

This could be a 1/8 SM +SN parachute bomb pretty close to to the water...even the still-westward Euro had the 35F isotherm right up to Logan airport....though with Euro solution, there would eventually be some pellets.

I'm about to succumb to my fears I think. Unless this ticks east last minute, my goose may be cooked. 

This is gonna have a classic CF right at BOS or just SE. Evident on all hi-res models.

Yup.  N/S orientation.  I think it will be withing 5mi of the coast along the N Shore, than drape BOS and than down into SE MA somewhere between I-95 and Rt 24, waffling around with intensity,  I think I'm a bit more bullish than BOX right now down this way as I feel we'll be able to scour out that warm tongue better.

You will see that change, I know its not Chris's map as he was on short term yesterday but i think its in his time frame today and modeled qpf is higher then those totals as they bumped up overnight, I'm going 9-12" here, We can always go higher if need be............ :)

Right, I was kinda expecting each band to be the next higher band on the map.  lol! 

Ground thawed out, heavy wet snow incoming, warm weather next week. what's the point?

The point: the experience itself and the three or four coldish days with low sun following it--so several days of white before it warms up and we wait for the next cold spell with storm development in mid December or thereabouts (unless the models have it wrong and we get it earlier). Unfortunately, we live in a SNE climate not UP Michigan or Duluth MN. We've got to enjoy what we get when we get it.

As long as we can hit the trails around the holidays, Don't really care much beforehand, Mother nature we can't control, Plus my engine is still scattered across the bench.......... :(

any riding before new years is gravy. this won't set the table for that, you need nice frozen ground before you start working on the base

I think we independently came to the same conclusion before BOX did last night:

00z model suite has trended slightly eastward with surface low
tracking over or near the 40n/70w benchmark
...with 850 mb circulation
moving across Cape Cod and the islands and 700 mb low developing and
tracking over bdl-orh-mht line. 00z European model (ecmwf) on the northwest edge of
the envelope and 00z GFS on the eastern edge of the guidance envelope. 

And for Boston area, the 0z suite did in fact depict a cooler BL, as BOX summarized:

As of now the NAM and GFS suggest strong banding feature 18z Wednesday - 00z Thursday over central CT/northwest Rhode Island
extending northeast through Worcester County and into northeast Massachusetts including the greater Boston area. Precipitation intensity associated with this band should be sufficient for a changeover to all snow along with snow rates of 1-2" per hour. In addition...with surface low tracking vicinity of the 40n/70w benchmark coupled with strong pressure falls...surface winds over northeast Massachusetts including Boston should be backing to the north-northeast. This will provide additional low level cooling. 

But now with the 6z runs... confidence goes down significantly for Boston area.

any riding before new years is gravy. this won't set the table for that, you need nice frozen ground before you start working on the base

No it won't, Earliest you could get on trails is Dec 15th, New years most years we are riding here, So anything sooner is a bonus, Can't go far if the lakes and ponds are not frozen, And we have dealt plenty over the years with thawed ground, Many clubs have had to go into bogs and open them up so that they could freeze

Archived