joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread I

LithiaWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, did you draw that in with MS Paint?  That's a crazy looking cold dot in the middle of all of that warm water!  I hope that the warm will pac-man that little dot.

LOL, I wish it was MS paint, but unfortunately not, it does look odd, hopefully just a hiccup.  But if you look at the changes over the last 7 days it's showing up and showing up with a vengeance...

cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png

It's very possible that the coldest weather all fall/winter could occur in November. My low was 16 this morning and some winters I don't even get that cold.

Yeah, but it's equally possible that that 16 is one of the warmer cold lows this winter :)  You just can't predict the winter based on Nov, climo not withstanding.  Katla could blow it's top, sending ash clouds over us, or the lizard/alien folks could hack the harrp derainalyzers over near you, and make it snow all winter. Nothing is written.  We just have to live it.  Surely things do incline toward this, or that, as Larry has pointedly shown us, and Robert is also on board with colder coming, and I for one, would never guess against those two.  In fact it's those two that draw me here winter after winter, because if you want a hint as to what might be coming, that are no better hinters, for our little piece of the world, anyway, lol.  Tbone

Yeah, but it's equally possible that that 16 is one of the warmer cold lows this winter :)  You just can't predict the winter based on Nov, climo not withstanding.  Katla could blow it's top, sending ash clouds over us, or the lizard/alien folks could hack the harrp derainalyzers over near you, and make it snow all winter. Nothing is written.  We just have to live it.  Surely things do incline toward this, or that, as Larry has pointedly shown us, and Robert is also on board with colder coming, and I for one, would never guess against those two.  In fact it's those two that draw me here winter after winter, because if you want a hint as to what might be coming, that are no better hinters, for our little piece of the world, anyway, lol.  Tbone

No doubt about it.  Any newcomers to the SE forum would be wise to pay close attention when Robert and Larry start honking!  Even though neither is infallible when it comes to forecasting, they are the closest things to weather prophets that we have.  When you combine Larry's historical data with Robert's synoptic analysis, it's as close as we're going to get to a sure thing (or a slam dunk, if you prefer a sports analogy).

The Euro op is "thread the needle" weird on the last wave riding a front around 216.  However, the Operational seems to be trending colder and delaying any major pattern reshuffle ala the Xbox GFS.  The EPS this morning was much cooler than the op in the LR, so this is not terribly surprising.

Looking at the end of the Euro is a classic winter cold look. Major cold in eastern Canada just dumping into the NE. I like that look. 

Looks good, and cold that's for sure.  Though I don't know if I can handle watching all these cutters march by to our NW for the next 4 months.  Hopefully that pumped up Scandanavian Ridge morphs and gives us some blocking in the next 2-4 weeks. 

12z Euro Ensemble...

Other than Sun/Mon, the remaining days to close out the month are below normal in the SE (to varying degrees).  

Euro and GFS Ensemble both transition into Dec with Bering Strait ridge, troughing off U.S. west coast, and general ridging across the country.....temps warmer than normal over much of the U.S., though centered more over the Rockies and upper midwest.

12z Euro Ensemble...

Other than Sun/Mon, the remaining days to close out the month are below normal in the SE (to varying degrees).

Euro and GFS Ensemble both transition into Dec with Bering Strait ridge, troughing off U.S. west coast, and general ridging across the country.....temps warmer than normal over much of the U.S., though centered more over the Rockies and upper midwest.

Thx grit for the ensemble analysis!

Doesn't sound too gloomy to me.

Archived