Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
How far into Maine have you traveled?

moneypitmike

Maine Towns  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which Maine cities/towns have you been in? Not all inclusive, use the general area

To Mainiacs, "LA" is Lewiston/Auburn.  Augusta is 30 miles up the 'Pike.  And no Estcourt Station?  Or Lubec?  (Northern- and Easternmost points, respectively.)

Like Jeff, I've been to loads of places in Maine.  The Bureau of Parks and Lands website has maps of all the places they manage, and apart from Historic Sites (less than one quarter), I've been to about 95% of all those locations, mainly work-related.  Maine has about 900 "political divisions" (cities/towns/townships), and I've probably set foot - or tires - on about 80% of them, though I'm not interested in trying to arrive at an exact figure.

Auburn is what I meant.  I've been to August too though.  I've been saying for years that I'm going to take a trip up to Moosehead but I never seem to make it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn is what I meant.  I've been to August too though.  I've been saying for years that I'm going to take a trip up to Moosehead but I never seem to make it.

You need to at some point, Won't be dissapointed, That whole Greenville/Kokadjo/Northeast Carry area is a great getaway spot in all seasons

I've been to Ogunquit and York Beach a few times for long weekends. I spent a weekend visiting friends at Colby in Waterville while I was in college. 

A few years ago we rented a house up on Great Moose Lake which is just north of Pittsfield, ME which was awesome. 

Next up is getting up to Acadia and/or Portland for a couple days. 

I've been to Ogunquit and York Beach a few times for long weekends. I spent a weekend visiting friends at Colby in Waterville while I was in college.

A few years ago we rented a house up on Great Moose Lake which is just north of Pittsfield, ME which was awesome.

SR

Parents recently bought a house in Ogunquit/Wells...so lived there most of last summer...which is awesome. I have been up to the Bangor/Bar Harbor area when I was a younger kid...but since then mostly just trips to Biddeford where my dad has family. This summer I was mostly anywhere from Portsmouth, NH to Portland ME....anywhere in there; York, Wells, Biddeford, Saco, Portland, etc...

I hope to get up further in Maine this summer, partially to do Katahdin. Done the top 8 peaks in NH, so definitely need to cross Katahdin off the list soon. Would love to go back to Bar Harbor, explore the Mid-Coast, etc.

I can't remember if we touched on this back then, I used to make a summer vacation every year visiting an old hunting lodge on that lake. Commodore Club, on the south shore.

As for this thread, wagons north this year. I plan on getting out to some of our northern Maine reporting stations. Winter maintenance is really a two man job anyway, and it's always good to get out and see some of the CWA apart from on a computer screen.

I can't remember if we touched on this back then, I used to make a summer vacation every year visiting an old hunting lodge on that lake. Commodore Club, on the south shore.

As for this thread, wagons north this year. I plan on getting out to some of our northern Maine reporting stations. Winter maintenance is really a two man job anyway, and it's always good to get out and see some of the CWA apart from on a computer screen.

I'm determined to hit Big Black River on a -40F night.

Along the coast, Boothbay.

Interior: East Grand Lake, Danforth ...next stop the Arctic Circle.

My parents just sold their house this past summer on east grand lake. On the NB side. Still have family with cottages on the Maine side in Orient. Definitely a different world up there. ... the Haynesville rd (rte 2/2A) is freakin desolate. Haven't been north of Houlton, at least on the Maine side.

I honestly believe that anything south of augusta is just an extension of Mass.....

What a weird thread. Bizarre

This stems from the conversation in the discussion thread that revealed that Boston is NOT in eastern New England and is in fact, west of the midpoint.

1.  Machias
  2.  Eastport
  3.  St. Stephen
  4.  Madawaska

Been everywhere except these places. Live in Brunswick

I lived in Bath until 5-6 years ago.  Mother-in-law moved to Bath 9 years ago.  I'm now in Massachusetts.

Coincidence?

This stems from the conversation in the discussion thread that revealed that Boston is NOT in eastern New England and is in fact, west of the midpoint.

I lived in Bath until 5-6 years ago.  Mother-in-law moved to Bath 9 years ago.  I'm now in Massachusetts.

Coincidence?

The Bath/Brunswick metroplex... LOL! Impressed by the 27 votes. Did not think many folks visited our quiet little corner.

We may be moving to Damariscotta next spring. Looking at a few places. Nothing written in stone just yet.

The Bath/Brunswick metroplex... LOL! Impressed by the 27 votes. Did not think many folks visited our quiet little corner.

We may be moving to Damariscotta next spring. Looking at a few places. Nothing written in stone just yet.

LOL at the metroplex.  They probably all had a soccer game at Bowdoin or something.

Damariscotta's a nice place.  Will you be on the water?  Don't you back up to the Kennebec now?

LOL at the metroplex.  They probably all had a soccer game at Bowdoin or something.

Damariscotta's a nice place.  Will you be on the water?  Don't you back up to the Kennebec now?

One of the places that I have my eye on is on the Great Salt Bay, near Damariscotta Mills. 4+ acres and a kickass view.

Yes, we are on a cove near the junction of the Kennebec and Sasanosa Rivers currently. Otherwise known as Hell's Gate.

Small world! That's really cool. 

It's awesome up there... we had a blast. Definitely in the middle of nowhere though lol

Small world! That's really cool. 

It's awesome up there... we had a blast. Definitely in the middle of nowhere though lol

Well, Lol, That is still the middle of somewhere, Some of the places i go you can only get to by snowmobile, And that is the true middle of nowhere............. :P

Did a lot of snowmobiling a few years ago. Did a lot of trips around the lake sunapee area, and up to north Conway and even up around pitsburg.

Unfortunately, had to sell them. Dad became Ill and we were unable to use them anymore.

Had an artic cat and Polaris, both early 2000s

Truly one of the great ways to enjoy the outdoors and scenery in the winter. Not many people do it either.

Did a lot of snowmobiling a few years ago. Did a lot of trips around the lake sunapee area, and up to north Conway and even up around pitsburg.

Unfortunately, had to sell them. Dad became Ill and we were unable to use them anymore.

Had an artic cat and Polaris, both early 2000s

Truly one of the great ways to enjoy the outdoors and scenery in the winter. Not many people do it either.

Yes good time and a great way to see the back country

I'm determined to hit Big Black River on a -40F night.

Grab your passport and stay at the hotel in St.-Pamphile, PQ, less than ten miles from the station. About one miles south of it is where I was passenger in a pickup that fought with 70 tons of Mack plus logs in Jan 1981, with entirely predictable results. The insurance adjuster totaled the pickup after seeing just the photograph - right headlight pushed back to where the glove compartment had been.

I guess id pick Ft Kent but a little bit more description of a few trips:

Up the coast on Rt 1 to Calais and then back to Bangor on Route 9 to I-95.

I-95 up into Houlton, Rt 1 to Caribou and then up to Fort Kent and crossed into NB and winded my way up to Autoroute 20 in Canada westbound to Montreal. That was in 2005 and I was a bit younger so its not the freshest in my mind but I remember really enjoying the more rolling topography of this area. Not what you think of as "Maine" but a truly different world and different way of life. Pretty interesting.

Millinocket north into Baxter to climb Katahdin, great hike BTW, do the loop from the east side, transit Knifes Edge and come back around. 10ish hrs.

Sugarloaf and on north up Rt 27 to the border crossing at Coburn Gore, gets pretty damn rugged along that stretch not to mention desolate. Different feel from US 3 to the border in Pittsburg, NH.

Ashamed to say Ive never taken Rt 201 past Skowhegan and never been to Jackman or the Moosehead region. That is high on the list of desired camping destinations, hopefully next summer.

Id also like to explore the Allagash waterway and those remote northern locations mentioned when they hit -40.

I guess in summary, I can say Ive seen a decent amount of all areas of Maine except on a line from Jackman extending NNE through the Allagash/North Maine Woods into just W of Ft Kent.

Archived