Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
How far into Maine have you traveled?

moneypitmike

Maine Towns  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which Maine cities/towns have you been in? Not all inclusive, use the general area

I guess id pick Ft Kent but a little bit more description of a few trips:

Up the coast on Rt 1 to Calais and then back to Bangor on Route 9 to I-95.

I-95 up into Houlton, Rt 1 to Caribou and then up to Fort Kent and crossed into NB and winded my way up to Autoroute 20 in Canada westbound to Montreal. That was in 2005 and I was a bit younger so its not the freshest in my mind but I remember really enjoying the more rolling topography of this area. Not what you think of as "Maine" but a truly different world and different way of life. Pretty interesting.

Millinocket north into Baxter to climb Katahdin, great hike BTW, do the loop from the east side, transit Knifes Edge and come back around. 10ish hrs.

Sugarloaf and on north up Rt 27 to the border crossing at Coburn Gore, gets pretty damn rugged along that stretch not to mention desolate. Different feel from US 3 to the border in Pittsburg, NH.

Ashamed to say Ive never taken Rt 201 past Skowhegan and never been to Jackman or the Moosehead region. That is high on the list of desired camping destinations, hopefully next summer.

Id also like to explore the Allagash waterway and those remote northern locations mentioned when they hit -40.

I guess in summary, I can say Ive seen a decent amount of all areas of Maine except on a line from Jackman extending NNE through the Allagash/North Maine Woods into just W of Ft Kent.

Very limited access to those areas, Logging roads, 4 Wheeler trails and snowmobile trails but not much for accommodations or fuel to speak of

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very limited access to those areas, Logging roads, 4 Wheeler trails and snowmobile trails but not much for accommodations or fuel to speak of

Logging roads are right up my alley, haha. I drive a 4X4 pickup and Ive got my CB radio, haha. Not sure entirely how scenic or interesting alot of it would be but id love to explore as far as I could get up in that area.

Logging roads are right up my alley, haha. I drive a 4X4 pickup and Ive got my CB radio, haha. Not sure entirely how scenic or interesting alot of it would be but id love to explore as far as I could get up in that area.

lol, I'm sure the moose and deer would not mind seeing you, A GPS would come in real handy to as well as a few 5 gal cans of gasoline, Use to ride a lot of logging roads when hunting those areas, Winter is by sled only but you have to haul in your gasoline to ride the back country

Not every trucker is on CB; most have longer-range 2-ways.  One should anticipate a log truck is coming around every corner, and have a bolt-hole in mind.  They can pull me out of the ditch, but not the other way around.  Also, in the North Maine Woods system (3+ million acres of NW Maine, basically north of the Golden Road and west of Rt 11), ATVs are not allowed.  Lots of snowmo trails, though (but keep sleds off the plowed roads!) 

Given the discussion in the October thread about what is "eastern New England", I thought it would be useful to see how far into the eastern New England state people have traveled.  This is multiple-answer.

To Bangor, for a clerkship interview with Bankruptcy Court Judge James E. Goodman, May 1982.

Was in Pop-up camper in Acadia NP in my high school days (long ago).  It was beautiful (lots of fog when we there).  Planning to take my kids in a few years.  This time I would like to go up to Caribou and Houlton.  In the future when we finally decide to do go I will be picking some of guys brains on where to go :)

Archived