• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discussion

TalcottWx

That much? I never thought it was a huge deal, but it must depend on the thermometer.

There's a decent difference between sheltered and unsheltered from my experiences. 6-8F is probably on the very extreme side...most of the ones I've seen run a good 3-5F too cold on rad nights. Like you said, it depends on the radiating properties of the sensor. Some of them are like perfect mini blackbodies.

I still don't get how something like a Stevenson shelter prevents it from radiating less than an unsheltered thermo

It's all about the net radiation. Inside of the shelter the sensor is losing heat via emitting longwave infrared, but it gets re-radiated inside of the shelter. When you add fan aspiration you're continually refreshing the sensor chamber with the "new" current 2m temperature.

A sensor exposed to clear space at night has little radiation being reemitted back to it. The net is essentially just one way...a loss of longwave infrared out to space. It's essentially the same thing that the sfc of the ground experiences on a clear night. Keep in mind that the ground skin temp can be a solid 3-5F+ colder than 2m on a rad night. It's why we can get frosts despite 2m temps of 36-37F.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeklies definitely look mild -PNA/+EPO pattern through mid-November. Mild for most of CONUS too outside of the west coast. 

Yeah there seems to be some spread on the area from the Davis Straits to England. That's been trending higher and thus less of a torch here compared to previous runs, but I think the idea of a milder start seems for real. Not that it means anything of course, but there are a few that will get antsy.

Yeah there seems to be some spread on the area from the Davis Straits to England. That's been trending higher and thus less of a torch here compared to previous runs, but I think the idea of a milder start seems for real. Not that it means anything of course, but there are a few that will get antsy.

Especially when you look up the the northern plains/southern Canada and see -2C 850s in the first 2 weeks of Novie. That's that weird feeling that winter will never come. 

At least a warm fall will keep SSTs warmer than normal. We all know how important it is to increase the baroclinicity and make every storm a bomb and dive south toward the warm water. 

Yes. Obviously storms can "feel" that warm water and usually end up tickling towards it. A good lesson in Atmospheric dynamics.

Usual suspects

Things are looking great for winter. All signs point to one for the ages. Let's enjoy wearing shorts and tanks the next 4-5 weeks until we reach the promised land!!

Don't worry, we can have the upper 30s and 40s with windy rain well into June. No reason to have it now. You'll get your shot with cold rain on the back-end of winter.

You wonder (and hope) that once the leaves finish coming down , that it will be so warm for such a long period this fall that the trees will rebud and leaf out. Let's hope for 2 springs this year!! Slap me a few high fives folks!

lol at mini-meltdown in mid/late October.

Simlply classic.

That quote may have to replace Corey's as my sig.

Archived