Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discussion

TalcottWx

Youd think that torch should extend right to the coast

Well it may catch the end of that upper level low or at least start the period cooler than normal...they may be banking on that as the chill exits the east coast. It could just be a timing thing and we warm up after or the next day 6-10 comes in warm.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a few of us on here, I did actually know of that trek, But never navigated it as well, Lot of local knowledge and i don't have a big enough set to try to attempt it, We usually will ride the Portage side west to Fort Kent on one day with a lot of wood and lake riding, Second day we ride to limestone, Jump on the border cut trail to Fort Kent, The next day we will ride the rail bed along the St John river to Fort Fairfield and cut back west thru Ashland, With sneaking in lunch at Lakeview in St Agatha and then dinner at the Sporting Club on Long Lake in the evening at some point along the way

Ahh the Lakeview and Sporting Club...great places to have LOADS of FUN!! I'm good friends with the owners at both places(Fabulous People). They allow me to keep my Trailer at their place, so that when I come up in December, I leave it there so I only have to Trailer up and back, and don't have to bring it back and forth on my 2-3 trips up there during the winter. Saves lots of Fuel and hastle. I know the routes you mention...they offer some SUPERB snowmobiling for sure. Cant wait to head up on December 26 if they have the snow down.

Let's hope we get a GREAT winter for all of New England, so we can all enjoy the Season :-).

I'm not spending a lot of money for a high end station when I have no good place to site for accurate readings. I only care about the temp in winter precip events.

Its silly to guesstimate how much rain you get and what your actual highs or lows are, you're a met In a field that is all about accuracy , preciseness and science. Spend the money

Its silly to guesstimate how much rain you get and what your actual highs or lows are, you're a met In a field that is all about accuracy , preciseness and science. Spend the money

Cheapo thermos are all about the same accuracy: basically around +/- 1F whether you spend $10 or $50. The error from siting far outweighs that of the instrument itself. You'd need to plunk down $500 to get one that's super accurate to within a few tenths of a degree across the full scale (not to mention pay to have it periodically recalibrated).

Cheapo thermos are all about the same accuracy: basically around +/- 1F whether you spend $10 or $50. The error from siting far outweighs that of the instrument itself. You'd need to plunk down $500 to get one that's super accurate to within a few tenths of a degree across the full scale (not to mention pay to have it periodically recalibrated).

Yeah my cheap $20 one is plenty accurate. I wouldn't pay more than that just for a thermo

How does a thermometer cool down too much if it isn't shielded? I'm not sure of the physics...

It can radiate (the surface that is) and cause the sensor to read cooler than actuality. I may be wrong, but I don't think it will have much of an effect on temps unless you are being very diligent and care about a few tenths of a degree.

It can radiate (the surface that is) and cause the sensor to read cooler than actuality. I may be wrong, but I don't think it will have much of an effect on temps unless you are being very diligent and care about a few tenths of a degree.

Well, wouldn't it just radiate until it reached thermal equilibrium with the air around it? I will look it up.

Yeah a thermometer without a radiation shield has potential to have the surface of it radiate like the moon and produce erroneously cold readings if conditions are right. It is usually not a huge deal, but I've occasionally seen temps like 6-8F colder than reality.

Yeah a thermometer without a radiation shield has potential to have the surface of it radiate like the moon and produce erroneously cold readings if conditions are right. It is usually not a huge deal, but I've occasionally seen temps like 6-8F colder than reality.

I'm worried Tip might write a 13 page treatise on this topic. I am reading about evaporative cooling now.

That much? I never thought it was a huge deal, but it must depend on the thermometer.

Archived