joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discussion

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

poor Tamarack, Dryslot and the rest of our Maine posters they need to start a new subforum

If there's any red headed step child in this forum sometimes it seems like it's up here...at least in terms of relating to the weather. Coastal plain in Maine has more in common with you guys down there a lot of times. Or sometimes peeps forget that VT is in New England haha...asking for Euro QPF in the winter and you'll get CT/MA/RI/NH/ME values lol.

You are right on a longtitude scale, I just think for purposes of this forum and given the locations of posters, if discussing a snow for eastern New England they would be included.

I understand what you're saying with regard to the bulk of the posters.  When speaking of SNE, it makes sense to say "eastern areas", etc.   But to say "eastern New England" connotes something very different and using Boston as an example of it (which is what started my rant) is just not right.   

Enough of this tangent, though.  :)

41.8/29

I wonder how many people on this board have been above Portland. I think I'm going to start a poll. Stay tuned

I drive to Cape Breton Nova Scotia every summer. Up 95 to Bangor, route 9 for 90 miles straight east to Calais, ME and into NB. 800 miles from my house to relative's in Inverness.

beautiful drive, but long. It's amazing how desolate those 90 miles are between Bangor and Calais at the border.

LOL--so are you suggesting that eastern ME is not part of NE? 

I think folks get blinded by the distortion of longitude on a map. 

EDIT:  Sorry, Steve.  I misread your post.  I  see you are agreeing with me (I think).

lol...I think we're well aware of longitude.

I guess that makes PF CNE and you definitely SNE. Our only NNE member may be Will in Ft Kent. :(

427 driving miles for me, 82 to Boston in ENE

If you think that is far(and it is), take a ride to Far Northern Maine(Northern Aroostook County), towns like Madawaska, Fort Kent, St. Agatha, Sinclair, Van Buren, St. Francis, Allagash. I Snowmobile there a few times a winter, and it's unbelievable how far away it is from Central CT. Takes me 10 hours when towing a trailer at 75 mph in dry weather. Hit snow on the way, and it's 12-14 hours easily!! 565-570 miles one WAY lol. Potato country at it's best. Hard to believe you're still in New England. Best Snowmobiling East of the Mississippi!! Northern Aroostook County Maine..."The Crown of Maine!"

And Cold as a Mother! Madawaska, ME is the most Northeastern point in the lower 48.

If you think that is far(and it is), take a ride to Far Northern Maine(Northern Aroostook County), towns like Madawaska, Fort Kent, St. Agatha, Sinclair, Van Buren, St. Francis, Allagash. I Snowmobile there a few times a winter, and it's unbelievable how far away it is from Central CT. Takes me 10 hours when towing a trailer at 75 mph in dry weather. Hit snow on the way, and it's 12-14 hours easily!! 565-570 miles one WAY lol. Potato country at it's best. Hard to believe you're still in New England. Best Snowmobiling East of the Mississippi!! Northern Aroostook County Maine..."The Crown of Maine!"

And Cold as a Mother! Madawaska, ME is the most Northeastern point in the lower 48.

Upper Michigan might be closer lol

lol...I think we're well aware of longitude.

I guess that makes PF CNE and you definitely SNE. Our only NNE member may be Will in Ft Kent. :(

Haha my latitude of Lamoille County is like between BML and Pittsburg, NH....but would be only on the boundary between NNE and CNE if we broke New England up by pure latitude.

I hope when you guys call for CNE snow threats it includes this area too ;)

I wonder how many people on this board have been above Portland. I think I'm going to start a poll. Stay tuned

I've been to Fort Kent and Caribou...did some work when I was in college for the Maine Winter Sports Club branch up there as they host the World Cup Nordic races. They've got an awesome little ski area called Mars Hill up there too...great backcountry skiing.

Archived