Newest Member
    joxey
October Discussion

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was meh up here. Way above MOS.

We remained mixed all night with clouds and light wind...35F in town and 22F at the summit. Freezing level stayed around 1500ft. With good rad conditions we can go lower than the summit, so would've been a chilly night if clear/calm.

Still snow dusted white trails up on the mountain. A beautiful sight from town.

Yeah there were actually multiple groups out there for an inch of snow. People are crazy for snow up here....its hard to describe how energized town (and all the ski towns) were yesterday up this way. Everyone was talking about it and just stoked...like the feeling when your sports team wind the championship. One big reason I love it up here, unlike the cities down south, people in ski towns genuinely love snow and live by it...there's none of that "winter hate" you get elsewhere.

Rock skis Ftw?

We call them junk boards...going up to do some junkboarding, haha. No edges so the slide easily on the dusting and edges don't catch the grass and stuff.

That is suicidal, That would be like me riding my sled on 6" of snow with no base, Whack a stump or rock and do a back flip over the handle bars, That how most get injured trying to rush in the season

That is suicidal, That would be like me riding my sled on 6" of snow with no base, Whack a stump or rock and do a back flip over the handle bars, That how most get injured trying to rush in the season

It's not as bad as most think...you have certain trails for it, this is New England so used to low snow, trails are mowed, there haven't been stumps in decades, it does work better than one may think. I've killed 500 vertical feet on just dirt as rock before...a lot of us are more comfortable on skis than we are just walking around.

You always say I'm 3-4 degrees warmer than ORH. Just like last night you accused me of lying about my temp .. So do the math

You mean colder?  You don't lie about your temp, you simply report what is shown. No need to embellish things. However, sometimes your readings are a head scratcher. Are you saying you got to 25?

I ride that area every year, Use to stay in Ashland but now stay at Cross Lake

I know the area well.  Did you know that Long Lake, Mud Lake, Cross Lake, Square Lake, and Eagle Lake are all connected!! Alot of the Old Timers used to ride their sleds from lake to lake through streams and tributaries that connect each lake.  I've never done it, and ofcourse it's not marked or anything, but a lot of the locals/old timers know the route.  It's Quite a Place Northern Aroostook.  Glad to see another Sledder in here :-).

I know the area well.  Did you know that Long Lake, Mud Lake, Cross Lake, Square Lake, and Eagle Lake are all connected!! A lot of the Old Timers used to ride their sleds from lake to lake through streams and tributaries that connect each lake.  I've never done it, and of course it's not marked or anything, but a lot of the locals/old timers know the route.  It's Quite a Place Northern Aroostook.  Glad to see another Sledder in here :-).

There is a few of us on here, I did actually know of that trek, But never navigated it as well, Lot of local knowledge and i don't have a big enough set to try to attempt it, We usually will ride the Portage side west to Fort Kent on one day with a lot of wood and lake riding, Second day we ride to limestone, Jump on the border cut trail to Fort Kent, The next day we will ride the rail bed along the St John river to Fort Fairfield and cut back west thru Ashland, With sneaking in lunch at Lakeview in St Agatha and then dinner at the Sporting Club on Long Lake in the evening at some point along the way

Archived