joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing pretty good here...Everything is covered.

All rain down here, looking at the correlation coefficient product on radar it seems the changeover point is  near the ridge line over Phillipsburg and running southwest towards Ebensburg and seems to be holding fairly steady at the moment. Be curious to see if any heavier precip makes for any mixing here or not. 

Not anymore I guess  :cry:

Have a source for these stats? Looks like nothing more than cold and dry for next 10 days after monday's rainstorm.

I saw it on twitter through NWS State College account I believe. 

Several records will be close to being broken the next two days across much of the southeastern portion of the state and will most likely be broken in western and northern areas.

Harrisburg's coldest high for November 18 is 30 degrees, coldest low for the 19th is 18 degrees, coldest high for the 19th is 33 degrees.

Several records will be close to being broken the next two days across much of the southeastern portion of the state and will most likely be broken in western and northern areas.

Harrisburg's coldest high for November 18 is 30 degrees, coldest low for the 19th is 18 degrees, coldest high for the 19th is 33 degrees.

MDT breaks these, I bet.

pennlive.com has a story up about Harrisburg snowfall. Interesting numbers. No idea why they left off March, but whatever.

Monthly snowfall records in Harrisburg
November: 15.4 inches (1953)
December: 28.3 inches (1969)
January: 38.9 inches (1996)
February: 42.1 inches (2010)

Average monthly snowfall in Harrisburg
November: 0.6 inches
December: 5.1 inches
January: 8.8 inches
February: 10.3 inches

February 2010 it should be noted - that fell within 3.5 days. :) I had 5.1" more inches (insert joke here) than usually low-reported MDT.

Record low high for tomorrow will be tough to beat unless temps drop quicker this evening than expected. Tomorrow's high is likely to be at midnight and will screw up the potential to break this record me thinks. 

LOL

I bet this winter will be extremely tough for most of is, I think the coast gets hammered again.

Usually Ninos have more Gulf-moisture infused storms that can reach back for most of PA, like 2/6/10 or PDII, but normally Ninos are wetter south and east of the Apps. Still way too early to say one way or the other obviously. 

Usually Ninos have more Gulf-moisture infused storms that can reach back for most of PA, like 2/6/10 or PDII, but normally Ninos are wetter south and east of the Apps. Still way too early to say one way or the other obviously. 

One of the strongest El Nino events, 97-98,  was actually a pretty good winter in State College. There were two 10+" events while most of the east coast had a warmer and less snowy winter than average (Central Park had 5.5" and Boston had 25.6" that winter). The anomalously strong subtropical jet likely helped push the storm track farther inland with the larger moisture fluxes near the Atlantic coast.

post-869-0-13188100-1416280668_thumb.png

post-869-0-87082600-1416280829_thumb.png

One of the strongest El Nino events, 97-98,  was actually a pretty good winter in State College. There were two 10+" events while most of the east coast had a warmer and less snowy winter than average (Central Park had 5.5" and Boston had 25.6" that winter). The anomalously strong subtropical jet likely helped push the storm track farther inland with the larger moisture fluxes near the Atlantic coast.

attachicon.gifsub1998.png

attachicon.gifltnt1998.png

From what some NYC mets/posters say, a few degrees difference would have made for a much snowier winter around NYC since some storms took great tracks for us but were overwhelmed by warm Pacific air too much to make a difference. I was young then but remember it to be one washout after another-I know State College had some sizable storms in late Dec and Feb, which were classic Appalachian spine jackpots. 82-83 which was the other Super Nino in recent times was remembered for the huge early Feb storm that clobbered the RIC-BOS corridor. Hopefully we can get the STJ active and plenty of chances for everyone to cash in. 

24/8 when I left for work at 5:30 this morning.  Could be a few brush fires with the dry air and wind today.

One concern I have is the lack of downstream blocking (-NAO) that I have seen thus far is concerning for the upcoming winter.  These cold shots we have been experiencing seem pretty transient and whenever precip arrives, it's too warm for snow.  Hopefully I am wrong, but this could be a long winter full of disappointment.

Some serious icey spots out and about this morning. Also, it's cold as balls and just going to get colder.

Also, you guys need to go read the Upstate NY thread ... WOW.

i have been looking at the pictures and reading the posts. I'm truly touched, i'm listening to Erie County NY Fire departments on the scanner. :hug:  They are really struggling to handle all the emergencies.

edit- just heard 1 of their radio transmissions of rigs going to a medical call and the guy said they were up to 5' of snow and the towns front end loader was in from of them but they were still struggling, he said pray we make it.

i have been looking at the pictures and reading the posts. I'm truly touched, i'm listening to Erie County NY Fire departments on the scanner. :hug:  They are really struggling to handle all the emergencies.

edit- just heard 1 of their radio transmissions of rigs going to a medical call and the guy said they were up to 5' of snow and the towns front end loader was in from of them but they were still struggling, he said pray we make it.

They are forecasting totals up to 70" around Buffalo now... I was just looking at some of the traffic cameras and you cant see anything but white just to the south and then there is full sunshine just north of city

They are forecasting totals up to 70" around Buffalo now... I was just looking at some of the traffic cameras and you cant see anything but white just to the south and then there is full sunshine just north of city

Truly amazing.

They are in dire need of snow mobiles because of all the stranded people, as well as Fire and EMS need them just to go on calls.

attachicon.gifNovemberHarrisburgSnow.jpgattachicon.gifNovemberHarrisburgAvgTemp.jpg

(Avg temp for 2014 is through 11/17 - still not as cold as past two Novembers yet)

Thanks for the climate info, djr!  This cold snap even in these parts seems pretty impressive to me.  How often have we stayed continuously below freezing for possibly 60 hours in the middle of November?  So, my next question to you is:  what is Harrisburg's earliest date of a temperature of 19 degrees F or lower?  Knowing that would add perspective to today's bone-chilling cold.

Archived