joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unreal mess with the roads here. Everything has been icy and over 70 crashes reported. Not really expected until it happened.

There had been freezing rain advisories issued since last night in adjacent counties, not to mention the same issues occurred this morning in and around the Pittsburgh area. My personal opinion was PennDot probably could have been a bit more proactive in pretreating main roads before the rain arrived given temperatures remaining a couple degrees either side of the freezing mark and coming off an unseasonably cold night with temps in the low-mid teens.

There had been freezing rain advisories issued since last night in adjacent counties, not to mention the same issues occurred this morning in and around the Pittsburgh area. My personal opinion was PennDot probably could have been a bit more proactive in pretreating main roads before the rain arrived given temperatures remaining a couple degrees either side of the freezing mark and coming off an unseasonably cold night with temps in the low-mid teens.

Pittsburgh was a nightmare. I saw probably 10 crashes on my way down to the pitt gane. Out freezing rain advisory didn't go up till this morning so I don't think pendot was really prepared. Didn't see a truck and all the bridges and overpasses were skating rinks. Also doesn't help that the idiots in their SUVs think they can still go 70 mph.

Pittsburgh was a nightmare. I saw probably 10 crashes on my way down to the pitt gane. Out freezing rain advisory didn't go up till this morning so I don't think pendot was really prepared. Didn't see a truck and all the bridges and overpasses were skating rinks. Also doesn't help that the idiots in their SUVs think they can still go 70 mph.

Did any of them involve a little white ford focus? lol.

Euro holds serve again with precip deep into PA. My initial looks at it have roughly the southeastern half of the state in at least .25-50" at hour 96. Pittsburgh near the .1" line and far SW PA in .1-.25. Good 850 temps in all of central (less than -4C) and Sus Valley (roughly -2 to -4). 0 line runs just barely outside (east of) the I-95 corridor. Sus valley had .1-25" in both adjacent 6hr frames. Another big run for the central and especially eastern third of PA.  

6z gfs wants to jump on the euro train along with the ukmet. Para still east. I wonder if ncep did anything with the new gfs upgrade to fix the feedback issues it has with these setups. It's either going to score a coup or fall on its face out of the gate.

Hey! Welcome back my Schuylkill County "neighbor". I was just thinking about you the other day as I fueling at the Pine Grove Pilot at Exit 100.

12z Euro continues to show historic storm along east coast... 1.35" qpf for MDT... really curious to see how well it is handling the days after system that is moving in this evening/tomorrow if this potential is legit

also, average temp for Lake Erie now at coldest temperature by November 23 since 1933

12z Euro continues to show historic storm along east coast... 1.35" qpf for MDT... really curious to see how well it is handling the days after system that is moving in this evening/tomorrow if this potential is legit

also, average temp for Lake Erie now at coldest temperature by November 23 since 1933

Woah there buddy...not historic.  Significant, yes, but not historic.  

If we see this consensus build through the 12z suite tomorrow, I'm in.  

Very surprised no one in here is talking about the upcoming system. Maybe not so much the State College crowd, but the LSV crowd should be watching this situation pretty closely. It's not going to be crippling or massive by any means, but the time of day and possible travel problems could be an issue. Still not committing to anything just yet, but just a watchful eye 

It's interesting, but I have a feeling it misses MDT to the east. LNS could see a few inches, for sure. PHL jackpot?

I like the Lancaster area on east till eastern Chester county as the best spot for snow. I wouldn't put it past southern and eastern York to come out good as well since it is pretty typical regardless of the situation  :lol:

Archived