joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be mentioned that the Euro ensembles are still very bullish on this storm with 8.5" mean over 51 members in State College. What concerns me is that not many of them show the initial heavy burst that the 12Z Euro operational showed yesterday. The 8.5" occurs over a prolonged 72 hour period which makes it very unlikely IMO that we would ever see 8.5" on the ground. In any case, I like the update WPC maps. I think they capture the uncertainty/potential with this storm:

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_accum_probs.php?ftype=probabilities&fpd=72&ptype=snow

What a spread on those "accumulation by percentiles" maps. CTPs latest also shows a sharp dropoff just south of our area. One of those events where 800 vs 1200 vs ridgetops makes all thr difference, it seems

I don't know, I'll just say I'll be surprised if I see more than 2-3 inches on the ground at any time from this. Expecting more like 1-2 at best. Way too many things have to go exactly right for this to work out, and the believable models are generally shying away from such a scenario.

It should be mentioned that the Euro ensembles are still very bullish on this storm with 8.5" mean over 51 members in State College. What concerns me is that not many of them show the initial heavy burst that the 12Z Euro operational showed yesterday. The 8.5" occurs over a prolonged 72 hour period which makes it very unlikely IMO that we would ever see 8.5" on the ground. In any case, I like the update WPC maps. I think they capture the uncertainty/potential with this storm:

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_accum_probs.php?ftype=probabilities&fpd=72&ptype=snow

The upper low looks to be organizing and closing off later and later, which is bad news for you guys. That would lead to the scenario where NE PA mountains get real snow and no one else. Hopefully the Euro today can reverse course. 

doesn't seem to be warming up to fast either. Aren't we suppose to be 36-38 today?

classic cold air damming that the models never handle well here... yet another example of why you can't forecast based on model output without understanding what all is going on.  With temperatures being held this low and dew points still fairly low, I am a little more concerned now about some light freezing drizzle around here tonight than I was before. 

classic cold air damming that the models never handle well here... yet another example of why you can't forecast based on model output without understanding what all is going on.  With temperatures being held this low and dew points still fairly low, I am a little more concerned now about some light freezing drizzle around here tonight than I was before. 

yep, just what i was thinking.

Ouch

StormTotalSnow.png

That outcome was always the danger from a storm that takes forever to organize in the mid levels and therefore can't send moisture very far west into PA. I tend to think there'll be at least an inch or two for you guys but the main dynamics will be well east of you and then much of any backlash/wraparound will get eaten up by downsloping. It's a frequent tendency of these systems to trend less organized in the mid levels at the end.

So JM northern Lycoming county is going to get enough precip for those totals?

It depends on where the precip can finally push west, and northern Lycoming isn't in a bad downslope spot like IPT. The Endless Mountains usually do well, so maybe they can have a decent event. But southwest of there, yeah, it's done. Seen this way too many times.

Archived