joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now 18z GFS looks like it wants to hit EPA pretty good with backend stuff... and at least gets KUNV back into the .25-.50" zone... barely.

A lot of that's probably showery type snow that adds up over a very long time, and sometimes it doesn't catch onto downsloping like other models do. It looks like there could be something of a front end that makes it west of I-81 for a time before it consolidates into the coastal low, so maybe that can be something. I'd say 1-2" for you guys.

A lot of that's probably showery type snow that adds up over a very long time, and sometimes it doesn't catch onto downsloping like other models do. It looks like there could be something of a front end that makes it west of I-81 for a time before it consolidates into the coastal low, so maybe that can be something. I'd say 1-2" for you guys.

Agreed. Actually I wouldn't be shocked at 2-3" here in State College, but not on the ground... total. I'd be surprised to see 2"+ on the ground at any point.

ctp issued wswatches through out their coverage area.

Not sure what that means,,,

Not seeing any other watches besides the initial northeast counties they put one up for. Just an advisory for <1" and a little ice here. Agree with Mallow that I'd be shocked to see more than 2" here. Maybe a couple lucky folks in the central mountains could pull 2-4" if the back end end stuff comes through but we all know you can't ever count on that.

Feel like the adv in the central mountains is a sort of hedging their bets in the case that we get more snow. It doesn't look like we're getting disruptive amounts of ice

Any freezing rain at all causes a WWA. That combined with the snow/sleet is why they have advisories. Point and click shows less than a half inch of snow each panel.

Hello 18Z GFS! If you are looking for a model to hug in the LSV this is the one. Some quick math on the qpf after the lower levels drop below freezing early Wednesday am shows over 1" of precipitation coming through the day. I'm starting to believe that we may see accumulating snow here. I wasn't expecting anything out of this storm. Very tricky forecast to state the obvious. Good luck to those who do this for a living. 

I believe it. And this certainly seems like the kind of storm where that could happen again. Rooting for you guys out there.

Thanks, but my confidence level is pretty low right now. CTP can't even figure out if we should be in an advisory or a warning. Less than 12 hours from onset and still just a watch. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.

Hello 18Z GFS! If you are looking for a model to hug in the LSV this is the one. Some quick math on the qpf after the lower levels drop below freezing early Wednesday am shows over 1" of precipitation coming through the day. I'm starting to believe that we may see accumulating snow here. I wasn't expecting anything out of this storm. Very tricky forecast to state the obvious. Good luck to those who do this for a living. 

I'm taking it with a grain of salt but I'd love to see it happen... wonder what the para GFS snows.

Oddly the 18z GFS ensembles are actually the snowiest yet, with a mean of almost 5" of snow. Several of the members are above 0.75". I don't know what to believe anymore... probably safest to assume the 18z GEFS is out to lunch.

Well the last euro run still showed 4" here so we've got that on our side too... but these storms are definitely more fun if you just keep your expectations low  :snowman:

It's nowcasting time anyway... looks like we could be in line to get involved with some of that precip down in VA/WV right now but its gonna be close. Do you think we'll see an extended period of mixed precip at the start, or should we be expecting predominately snow?

Well the last euro run still showed 4" here so we've got that on our side too... but these storms are definitely more fun if you just keep your expectations low  :snowman:

It's nowcasting time anyway... looks like we could be in line to get involved with some of that precip down in VA/WV right now but its gonna be close. Do you think we'll see an extended period of mixed precip at the start, or should we be expecting predominately snow?

I think whatever we get through tomorrow morning should be snow. But tomorrow during the day could be rain or a wet, non-sticking snow. Then back to snow, but who knows how much we get after tomorrow night...

The stuff coming in from the south looks nice right now, but if some models are to be believed, that will mostly fizzle as it moves in, with just lighter snow. Not sure if that actually happens, though.

I think whatever we get through tomorrow morning should be snow. But tomorrow during the day could be rain or a wet, non-sticking snow. Then back to snow, but who knows how much we get after tomorrow night...

The stuff coming in from the south looks nice right now, but if some models are to be believed, that will mostly fizzle as it moves in, with just lighter snow. Not sure if that actually happens, though.

Thanks as always for your input! This is still looking like a fun one to track. Hope at least some on this forum can overperform  :snowing:

Archived