joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up being busy today, just lovely to see the models have made things about as uncertain as they were a few days ago.. what a cluster haha. This has been a miserable storm to try to forecast. I think if the south central counties and LSV are to get any surprises in the form of snow or ice with this system.. it's going to be with this initial wave of precip riding up overnight tonight into tomorrow morning before the deform sets for farther eastern PA and especially from the Pocono region northeastward. Not really sold on anything major in terms of backlashing precip for the C-PA the next couple days other than some snow showers and possibly some periods of light snow here and there.. where maybe some places could pick up an inch or two (especially Laurels and NW)

Also have been having some freezing drizzle and snow grains off and on this evening, creating a very thin coating on untreated surfaces. Watching the radar to see how much develops back this far, there is some heavier stuff developing overhead currently here on the back edge. Starting to see some large dive bombing snowflakes reaching the ground now. Temp is 28ºF here. 

Hey guys...check out pa511.com and look at all the major roads surrounding Harrisburg.  They all have very heavy traffic and/or stopped traffic.  The freezing rain must be causing major black ice issues.  Where's Sauss and his scanner reports??

Temp is 30.0 here with light freezing rain.  My son just told me that he got a text from a friend of his who works in Harrisburg (at one of the hospitals as an RN).  She was trying to get on to 581 westbound but no cars are moving anywhere.  A policeman told her that she might be sleeping in her car tonight!  He also told her not to walk back to the hospital because it would be too dangerous.  Yikes.  This sounds serious.

Hey guys...check out pa511.com and look at all the major roads surrounding Harrisburg.  They all have very heavy traffic and/or stopped traffic.  The freezing rain must be causing major black ice issues.  Where's Sauss and his scanner reports??

Temp is 30.0 here with light freezing rain.  My son just told me that he got a text from a friend of his who works in Harrisburg (at one of the hospitals as an RN).  She was trying to get on to 581 westbound but no cars are moving anywhere.  A policeman told her that she might be sleeping in her car tonight!  He also told her not to walk back to the hospital because it would be too dangerous.  Yikes.  This sounds serious.

Wow. This is something I was fearing for you guys in south-central PA to start. Stay safe everyone!! I hope your sons friend will be ok Carlisle. Ice is no joke when it's freezing on the roadway.

Looks like its gonna be a really nasty night for the 322 corridor between harrisburg and state college. stay safe everyone and hope the snow comes for more of us tomorrow  :santa:

The Euro is really liking EPA with this one. 2-3" of precip through 12z Wed. Mount Pocono does pretty good this run. Very sharp gradient out west, but it does give 0.5" to CPA and more the further south and east you go. The 1" line starts in central Franklin on east and really cranks out a lot once into York on east. Pretty good run and more consistent than the others. Now casting and short range model stuff now, but I'll keep the Euro run in the back of my mind for posterity with the others just to see who's more correct in the overall solution.

Bright echos between AOO and UNV...sleet in that band?

Heavy snow in it.. especially toward the State College part of it. I picked up about 0.6" in 30 minutes with that band. 511 cams on Atherton out towards Valley Vista drive have heavy snow falling on it.. probably will be on campus any minute.

The Euro is really liking EPA with this one. 2-3" of precip through 12z Wed. Mount Pocono does pretty good this run. Very sharp gradient out west, but it does give 0.5" to CPA and more the further south and east you go. The 1" line starts in central Franklin on east and really cranks out a lot once into York on east. Pretty good run and more consistent than the others. Now casting and short range model stuff now, but I'll keep the Euro run in the back of my mind for posterity with the others just to see who's more correct in the overall solution.

Briefly mentioning about the rest of the Euro run past this storm.. wow. While the GFS still likes a warm-up after the coastal storm relinquishes it's grip, it never comes for the northeast on tonight's European run.. with temps generally looking average at best right through 240. Not much of any true arctic air around but the southern stream looks alive and well with a couple features being progged. 

I'd say judging by radar and Low pressure placement, this event is essentially over for the western 2/3rds of the state.

HRRR shows banding in the eastern 1/3rd, so these areas may still see accumulating snow through the day (in cold enough places anyway).

Rough post to wake up to haha. Very light freezing drizzle here currently, cars have a decent coating of ice on them as well under the sleet/snow/whatever is out there.

Up to nearly 35 here now, no ice when we woke up anywhere to find.

Something tells me HBG's winter might rival my awesome 10" total from last year with these misses, ha.

I noticed it was warmer on the east shore than west shore this morning lol... Had 32 at the house with only deck and parts of sidewalk icy... bridge that runs over i-81 was a sheet of ice but roads just wet otherwise.  Does the positioning of the high seem a little bit east of where models had it the past few days?  Water vapor imagery also looks as if best moisture is going to get too far north and east before this system deepens and tries to pull anything moisture/colder air wise in on backside of system.  Other than far northeast PA I have a feeling this will end up more of a bust which NWS State College I believe was first to accurately drop forecast totals for.  NWS Binghamton I think has too high of totals still in areas west of Mount Pocono but we shall see how these bands that are starting to form set up in that area.

Archived