joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article about Joe Mullis that Dacula posted was from 2009. So he had 9 big beans and 8 small beans for that winter and he saw the black squirrel which indicated that it was going to be a horrible winter. I would say generally that his prediction of a bad winter came true as 2009-2010 had double the average snowfall here in Northeast TN/ SWVA.

I found another article from earlier this year stating that Joe had 7 big beans and 5 little beans in his jar after August 2013! He also used exactly all of the beans in the jar with the last bean removed at the end of March.

In the article Joe said, “I told a lot of people we would see temperatures below zero more than one time,” he said. “I stressed to them it would be the coldest it has been in several years.”

http://maweb.htl.dc.publicus.com/news/home_top-news/3143800/Winter-is-not-over-just-yet

Well score another one for Joe!!!!

It's after the end of August now and I really wonder how many beans he has in his jar and if he has seen the black squirrel. I saw an albino squirrel running around a few months ago! Hopefully that doesn't mean the opposite will happen this winter.

So y'all we need to get to the bottom of this! Call all media outlets and tell them to get their butts out to West Jefferson immediately!

GaWx, all of this time your statistics have been way too complicated! All you need to do is count the # of beans in your jar!

The article about Joe Mullis that Dacula posted was from 2009. So he had 9 big beans and 8 small beans for that winter and he saw the black squirrel which indicated that it was going to be a horrible winter. I would say generally that his prediction of a bad winter came true as 2009-2010 had double the average snowfall here in Northeast TN/ SWVA.

I found another article from earlier this year stating that Joe had 7 big beans and 5 little beans in his jar after August 2013! He also used exactly all of the beans in the jar with the last bean removed at the end of March.

In the article Joe said, “I told a lot of people we would see temperatures below zero more than one time,” he said. “I stressed to them it would be the coldest it has been in several years.”

http://maweb.htl.dc.publicus.com/news/home_top-news/3143800/Winter-is-not-over-just-yet

Well score another one for Joe!!!!

It's after the end of August now and I really wonder how many beans he has in his jar and if he has seen the black squirrel. I saw an albino squirrel running around a few months ago! Hopefully that doesn't mean the opposite will happen this winter.

So y'all we need to get to the bottom of this! Call all media outlets and tell them to get their butts out to West Jefferson immediately!

GaWx, all of this time your statistics have been way too complicated! All you need to do is count the # of beans in your jar!

i was waiting to see if someone would pick up on that. :-) He was certainly correct that year! :-)

At PGV?  Prolly happen in November then.

:sled:  ya'll are welcome to come hang out when we get buried this year.....honestly though we are only the sweet spot on a eastern track lows anything within 100 miles off the coast or closer and its screwville for us.....at least when we get hammered its usually nothing and cold inland, when inland gets hammered we gotta do the mid 30's and rain thing, hell if the low is close enough its 55 and rain lol while the foothills get buried.

i was waiting to see if someone would pick up on that. :-) He was certainly correct that year! :-)

I read that whole article without noticing and was getting really excited and then my balloon popped when I read the post date. Oh well at least that proves he has a good track record! Probably better than Joe Bastardi's!

Hey guys, I don't post often but always enjoy the conversation on these boards, especially in the fall and winter.  I was having an interesting debate with someone recently and wanted to get your thoughts...Which of the following winter results woud you prefer:

1. An historically cold winter (think top 10 coldest winters) with three or four snow events that yields an average year snowfall wise for your area.

Or

2. A winter with average to above average temps, but with one big snowstorm that resulted in twice your average annual snowfall amount.

As much as I enjoy reading these boards and following all of your input on late night model runs I think that I might prefer option #1.  Either way, I'm looking forward to the upcoming winter!!

Hey guys, I don't post often but always enjoy the conversation on these boards, especially in the fall and winter.  I was having an interesting debate with someone recently and wanted to get your thoughts...Which of the following winter results woud you prefer:

1. An historically cold winter (think top 10 coldest winters) with three or four snow events that yields an average year snowfall wise for your area.

Or

2. A winter with average to above average temps, but with one big snowstorm that resulted in twice your average annual snowfall amount.

As much as I enjoy reading these boards and following all of your input on late night model runs I think that I might prefer option #1.  Either way, I'm looking forward to the upcoming winter!!

I think the answers will vary depending on location.  For instance, in the mountains with, lets say a 30" average snowfall, a single 60" thumping would make it impossible for me to say no to #2.  Here though, where 7" is the average, a single 14" snow isn't that extraordinary for me.  I've been in many of those.  Several 2" snows, with all the hype and disruption they cause in this area, would be a lot more entertaining overall.

1234 may have  a point here. Well, my first Q would be what Joe Mullis has found since he started doing this bean thing....all of the bean predictions.

Fwiw, 2009-10 was the coldest winter for many in the SE US since 1977-8.

Looking at wintry precip. in 2009-10, KATL (airport on southside) had an impressive three measurable snows and 5.3" total (nearly 300% of the average), which was then the highest snow total there since all of the way back in 1982-3, when 10.3" fell. (Since then, 2010-11's 7.1" from four events exceeded that.)

Looking at wintry precip. in 2013-4, KATL had still another big season from, once again, three measurable events! They had a total of 5" of S/IP or ~250% the average (~3.6" S & 1.4" IP) and a major ZR!

During 2008-9 through 2013-4, KATL has had an impressive total of 21.6" of S/IP, which was the heaviest six winter total since the six winters of 1978-9 through 1983-4, when it had an even more impressive 28.3". Since records started in the late 1800's, the six winter record high is a whopping 37.1", which covered 1892-3 through 1897-8! 1934-5 through 1939-40 had 20.7". 1883-4 through 1888-9 likely had within a few inches of 30" based on individual storms I've seen but there are no official records. So, I'd call 2008-9 through 2013-4 the 4th snowiest six winter period since the late 1800's for Atlanta, barely ahead of 1934-5 through 1939-40. With the cold winter prospects for 2014-5, KATL will have a shot to make it a very impressive seven winter period. However, as always with only a 2" S/IP average, it is largely a crap shoot. When it is a big year in terms of S/IP, it is normally from one major storm and possibly one or two non-major. Major S/IP happen only once every 3.6 winters on average. However, we've had a whopping four (if you count the 2/2014 big mess) in just the last six winters! The prior 15 winters yielded only one! We'll see!

Some of you folks have known me for years, I wanted to share that I got engaged this weekend to my girlfriend.  This will be my second marriage. My divorce was finalized last year and when I started dating again I met a wonderful woman that I want to spend the rest of my life with.  I wanted to propose earlier but I needed to make sure she wasn't an ice queen/harpy like my 1st wife lol.  Anyways, exciting times for me right now. :)

Some of you folks have known me for years, I wanted to share that I got engaged this weekend to my girlfriend.  This will be my second marriage. My divorce was finalized last year and when I started dating again I met a wonderful woman that I want to spend the rest of my life with.  I wanted to propose earlier but I needed to make sure she wasn't an ice queen/harpy like my 1st wife lol.  Anyways, exciting times for me right now. :)

Congratulations!!!!  :clap:

Congrats on the engagement!

I've seen it much hotter in mid Sept even here in Chattanooga.. you complain a lot.

+1

My snowfall answer would be # 2! The one caveat being, it showed up a week out and only got better the closer we got and actually overperformed! It would be fun to follow for a week out , with all these knowledgeable posters. I would like for the general consensus to be 3-6 inches forecast and end up with 12-14! That would be amazing!

+1

My snowfall answer would be # 2! The one caveat being, it showed up a week out and only got better the closer we got and actually overperformed! It would be fun to follow for a week out , with all these knowledgeable posters. I would like for the general consensus to be 3-6 inches forecast and end up with 12-14! That would be amazing!

Ha, I decided to delete my post.. but it's cool.

I've officially reached my breaking point. Dewpoints in the 70's in Mid September is unacceptable. Mid July or Mid August ? Sure. But not Mid September. I'm done with humidity. I would rather have a 90 degree day with dewpoints in the 40s than a day in the 70s with dewpoints in the 70s.

You should over on this side of town! :-)

Congrats man! Oh and Steve that was a great write up on you!  Really awesome to see you getting recognized for all your hard work!

Congratulations!! You don't waste time! Don't forget that wx always come first, regardless. ;)  ;)

:sled: ya'll are welcome to come hang out when we get buried this year.....honestly though we are only the sweet spot on a eastern track lows anything within 100 miles off the coast or closer and its screwville for us.....at least when we get hammered its usually nothing and cold inland, when inland gets hammered we gotta do the mid 30's and rain thing, hell if the low is close enough its 55 and rain lol while the foothills get buried.

A Pack, Brick, and Cold Rain road trip! And if Franknraleigh, Solak, and Jon want to come too, you got enough room for all of us?

Congratulations.   :thumbsup: 

Archived