• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Banter

mackerel_sky

Hey guys, I don't post often but always enjoy the conversation on these boards, especially in the fall and winter.  I was having an interesting debate with someone recently and wanted to get your thoughts...Which of the following winter results woud you prefer:

1. An historically cold winter (think top 10 coldest winters) with three or four snow events that yields an average year snowfall wise for your area.

Or

2. A winter with average to above average temps, but with one big snowstorm that resulted in twice your average annual snowfall amount.

As much as I enjoy reading these boards and following all of your input on late night model runs I think that I might prefer option #1.  Either way, I'm looking forward to the upcoming winter!!

I'd have to take #2 simply because I've never seen that much snow fall at once.  That would be around 18" of snow IMBY and that would be something to behold.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, I don't post often but always enjoy the conversation on these boards, especially in the fall and winter.  I was having an interesting debate with someone recently and wanted to get your thoughts...Which of the following winter results woud you prefer:

1. An historically cold winter (think top 10 coldest winters) with three or four snow events that yields an average year snowfall wise for your area.

Or

2. A winter with average to above average temps, but with one big snowstorm that resulted in twice your average annual snowfall amount.

As much as I enjoy reading these boards and following all of your input on late night model runs I think that I might prefer option #1.  Either way, I'm looking forward to the upcoming winter!!

Average snowfall here is 2", and I've seen plenty of 4" snowfalls so I would definitely go with #1. That's kind of funny to think of though.... 3 or 4 snow events yielding 2" of snow. Now, if you said 5 times the annual snowfall, I might consider going for #2.

My bit of advice is get a Davis station, you'll be a LOt happier in the end. And even if your budget is low, you can get a Vantage Vue (which is what I'm still running, at least through the end of the year) for less than $300 (you will also need one of their data-loggers).

You're best bet to to talk to people here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=collapse;c=7;sa=collapse;e89067d127=314b51f7baff03c21b304ddc83e0a34c#c7

This... Also, the Vantage Pro display/guages works with the Vue ISS

Some of you folks have known me for years, I wanted to share that I got engaged this weekend to my girlfriend.  This will be my second marriage. My divorce was finalized last year and when I started dating again I met a wonderful woman that I want to spend the rest of my life with.  I wanted to propose earlier but I needed to make sure she wasn't an ice queen/harpy like my 1st wife lol.  Anyways, exciting times for me right now. :)

Grats!!!

Nats beat the Barfs--I mean the Braves...WOO HOO!!

It's definitely over with their chances of a playoff spot. I suppose if they win every game from this point on there is a chance; but I doubt it. I just wonder now if they'll end up over 500. But it is fall now and the hopes of a cold winter with plenty of tracking opportunities makes the Braves bad year more tolerable (for me at least).   

Some of you folks have known me for years, I wanted to share that I got engaged this weekend to my girlfriend.  This will be my second marriage. My divorce was finalized last year and when I started dating again I met a wonderful woman that I want to spend the rest of my life with.  I wanted to propose earlier but I needed to make sure she wasn't an ice queen/harpy like my 1st wife lol.  Anyways, exciting times for me right now. :)

Congratulations!! So is the honeymoon going to be a cold or warm destination? I would want a Colorado Aspin Trip...

Congratulations, and wishing you and the new wife all the very best!!!

You're killing me, CR.  I keep forgetting who you are...

Yesterday I had to read all your comments upside down.  Now, you're nothing more than playing card.  At least you didn't choose the suicide king.  Or maybe you're saving that one to use once the cliff diving begins in earnest this January.

You're killing me, CR.  I keep forgetting who you are...

Yesterday I had to read all your comments upside down.  Now, you're nothing more than playing card.  At least you didn't choose the suicide king.  Or maybe you're saving that one to use once the cliff diving begins in earnest this January.

Haha!

It's my lame attempt to entice Packbacker to go ahead and get an avatar.  That's why we didn't get the jackpot last winter.  It's all his fault.  I wish he would hurry up so I go back to Star Trek!

cloudy weather on a consistent basis is a bit depressing to me. I like sunshine as long as it's not hot.

Yeah, my whole family thinks im nuts, but i love cloudy days, cold, snow, rain, anything thats actually 'weather'...lol

sun and heat are my least favorite. I really like something like Pittsburgh's climate--- refreshing and always changing. 

Average snowfall here is 2", and I've seen plenty of 4" snowfalls so I would definitely go with #1. That's kind of funny to think of though.... 3 or 4 snow events yielding 2" of snow. Now, if you said 5 times the annual snowfall, I might consider going for #2.

Snowstorm,

For KATL, I'll consider those winters with 3+ measurable S/IP events. They've had an impressive three winters (I'm including Nov.) of the last five with three events! That's very impressive when considering that only 20 winters out of the last 130 have had 3+ measurable events and KATL once went 26 years between them! When KATL does get 3+ events, it has averaged about 5" for the season (250% of normal). However, there was one of these seasons with only 0.6" total and another with only 1.0". OTOH, four of the 20 did exceed 10". A slight majority of these 20 (11) had at least one major S/IP event included. Two of these 20 had two major S/IP events. A respectable 7 of these 20 also had at least one major ZR. Two of these 20 had a whopping three majors between S/IP and ZR!! The last one was during the great winter of 1935-6. The other was during 1884-5. So, I guess we're actually overdue for that kind of winter. ;)

Edit: I've had the winters of 1884-5 and 1935-6 classified as high end neutral positive. However, a case could be made to make either one weak Nino, especially 1884-5.

Damn.  The rain that fell just after dinner was CRAZY.  HUGE, DESTRUCTIVE BALLS OF WATER COMING DOWN AT A BREAKNECK PACE!!!  I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

(but seriously, it did pour for a bit)

When I was in downtown Greensboro earlier, there were some nice bolts of visible cloud-to-ground lightning and some nice loud, ferocious claps of thunder, too.  Should be a good preview for all the thundersnow we're going to get this year.  :whistle:

Ok, I figured it out, mostly:

Hvward's way will work too. But here's what I did.

Click "full version" at the bottom of the page. Then click "more reply options" near the box you type in at the bottom.

Then, you will see the option to chose a file. Click it. Then, you'll see a way to get to your camera role and find your picture. Then, you can attach it and add it to your post. Then post it.

The only problem is...well, unless hail falls upward.... :eek:

Archived