joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, guys, I am actually recording something tomorrow night. Yes, recording a program on TV. Like, with a tape. On a VHS. OMG! When was the last time you heard those words uttered? :lmao:

Problem is that I don't have a DVR, but have to work tomorrow night and really want to record something, so the VHS tape is back in style, baby! :pimp:

I'm very much in favor of this. I'm proud to say I still have two working VCR's and a big library, including almost all final round Masters going back to 1985, not too long after when VHS became big. I never had Beta.

I have some friends who are very proud that they have still not bought a smart phone. They had never even had any cell phone til their daughter forced them to take one of her flip phones for free a few years ago due to concern about them when they travel. Their main phone by far is still their landline. They almost never use their cell except to call me on occasion. They never have to pay for usage because it is some kind of bonus on their daughter's plan. Anti technology is so cool though I'm embarrassed to say I've had a smart phone since 2009. :( I had to get it for business reasons. If not, I may still not have had one and would be able to brag about it. I guess I'm a traitor of sorts.

Getting 2nd thunderstorm of day here in SAV.

Until James and Larry weighed in, I thought I was the last VCR user around. Glad to know I've got some good company. Now, if we can get Mack to give up his laser disc and go back to tapes, we'll have us a little band. :)

By the way, awesome pix, Burg! Hope you're getting your rest. You're gonna need it with all the pbp you'll be doing this winter!

Good evening from Zermatt, Switzerland. Getting to see all the snow capped mountains here is amazing. Interestingly enough it might snow here Sunday night but I'll be in Interlaken by then! Really gets you ready for the winter season. I propose we all do a meetup in the Alps. 

These pictures were taken from the balcony of my room today which has a great view of the Matterhorn. 

aqT7cbel.jpg

CENuesGl.jpg

These two were taken from the train going up to Zermatt. The first is a almost glacier type thing on top of one of the ridgelines. I guess techcnically it's a glacier? This was melting creating a nice waterfall which leads into the picture of the stream. This water was blueish green and clear, the cleanest looking water I have ever seen in my life. Only way to describe is that from 20 feet up I could see individual leaves floating in the water!rxgKQa1l.jpg

4ygi8Spl.jpg

Those are beautiful. I was in Lucerne in 06' one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Until James and Larry weighed in, I thought I was the last VCR user around. Glad to know I've got some good company. Now, if we can get Mack to give up his laser disc and go back to tapes, we'll have us a little band. :)

By the way, awesome pix, Burg! Hope you're getting your rest. You're gonna need it with all the pbp you'll be doing this winter!

LOL!  I do have a working VHS player that I use on occasion (as in maybe once per year).  I have some old tapes I occasionally pull out, though it's really rare these days.  I have a lot of VHS tapes from my childhood, mostly.  Some of those still interest me (like this train tape... I'm somewhat of a rail fan).

I think every major movie I had on tape I now have on DVD or Blu-Ray as I finally got a Blu-Ray player recently (actually, I think I still need to get Summer Rental, maybe).

There's still a lot of old tapes in the cabinet, though.  I think I only have Volcano! on VHS!  :whistle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcano_(1997_film)

I still had a grey Magnavox VCR from 2003 that was sitting in my room just collecting dust until last month when I gave it away along with some old clothes to the American Kidney Foundation. It was still in excellent condition, but since I don't have the large collection of VHS movies anymore there was really no point in keeping it around. 

Those are beautiful. I was in Lucerne in 06' one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Yea it's been amazing out here. Went up to the highest point in Europe by cable car. 13,000 feet where there is snow all year round. Even crazier was how light headed you get from being that high up. 

This was the view about halfway up. 

EBSv6x2l.jpg

Here is where the snow is and where you can actually ski in June. Going up there were cliff faces made by banks of snow that looked every bit of 30 feet high. I would guess the snow base at the top for skiing there was around 2 feet or so. 

YuLC3DNl.jpg

Also another pic of the Matterhorn and a chain of the Alps from a higher elevation. 

NCG2H6zl.jpg

CWNe4oLl.jpg

Well, the Garth concert was good,he went on an hour late! That place was a madhouse , I think 16000+ plus were there! He played a new song or two, but mostly classics! Then he had to let Trisha sing a few songs, and it was her bday, he got her a Dale Murphy jersey and a few other things on stage and we all sang happy birthday to her while she was on stage! He went from about 1135-150 or so, and did all the hits except " Thunder Rolls" , for some reason? Maybe he doesn't like weather!?

ECU 70    unc 41

Just making sure all the unc fans out there who may have turned it off got the final score........

Good game, props to ECU they were the all around better team today.  You guys have our #.  Was surprised the weather wasn't more of a factor with that tropical mess off the coast.  I would have loved to of seen a muddy mess because that would have played more in unc's favor but I am not sure it would have mattered.  Good win!

Good game, props to ECU they were the all around better team today.  You guys have our #.  Was surprised the weather wasn't more of a factor with that tropical mess off the coast.  I would have loved to of seen a muddy mess because that would have played more in unc's favor but I am not sure it would have mattered.  Good win!

Actually weather was really nice, enough clouds to keep the temp down, and a steady N to NE wind that was cool with the cloud cover......perfect weather for a game.....now the rain is working in just now starting to fall here.

Lol^

The only bugs here are lovebugs. There are so many it's ridiculous.

Jburns what kind of camera do you have?

I have more than I need.  The one I was testing is the new Panasonic FZ-1000.  I'm tired of carrying all my heavy DSLR lenses around and this one has a good zoom and above average image quality for a compact.  It also has the advantage of taking 4K video. It's a pretty nice all in one.

xlarge.jpg

Lol^

The only bugs here are lovebugs. There are so many it's ridiculous.

Jburns what kind of camera do you have?

Unlike the webworms, there have been a good number of lovebugs in Savannah this September. A lot of them are apparently brought up here from Florida via northbound cars on I-95. They generally linger stubbornly until the first significant cold front comes through. Because of the stubborn warm, humid air, the lovebugs have had favorable conditions to linger. It is finally cooling off this evening on the backside of the offshore low. Perhaps, that will lead to a significant reduction of lovebugs.

I did finally see one web from webworms. That compares to 100's of them one year ago and an infestation of the worms (caterpillars) all around the house.

Archived